Taking Calls on Loud Speaker

One more thing about car phones is there are some of us have jobs that absolutely depend on being able to talk on the phone and be available to talk on a moment's notice in order to earn our income. I work for multiple real estate lenders, title companies, and loan signing agencies. My income is 100% tied to being able to respond to my phone to accept/decline job offers from them to go to client homes to finish and close their loans or refinances as a closing agent. If I couldn't respond to my phone I'd receive zero jobs since they have not already been assigned to me, I accept them when offered if terms are mutually agreeable. And such offers normally go out to multiples of me at the same time, first to respond gets it. Without my cellphone close at hand I'd be done for, income-wise.

totally.

The customer most of my work is done for has an annual revenue about 10,000x that of my company. When a problem in the refrigeration system spoils 25% of the refrigerated product in one of their stores, they bill whoever they can blame it on, and that company pays it if they want to keep the business. A delayed response could fairly quickly turn into a bill for my employer comparable to several months of my salary.

One more thing about car phones is there are some of us have jobs that absolutely depend on being able to talk on the phone and be available to talk on a moment's notice in order to earn our income. I work for multiple real estate lenders, title companies, and loan signing agencies. My income is 100% tied to being able to respond to my phone to accept/decline job offers from them to go to client homes to finish and close their loans or refinances as a closing agent. If I couldn't respond to my phone I'd receive zero jobs since they have not already been assigned to me, I accept them when offered if terms are mutually agreeable. And such offers normally go out to multiples of me at the same time, first to respond gets it. Without my cellphone close at hand I'd be done for, income-wise.

Limo and driver. Only way to be safe.

200.gif

I had Bluetooth calling over the speakers for 3 days then turn that crap off. It was so loud even on low volume and I stay topless everyone around could hear the conversation. I personally didn't like it because it drew Attention. It was Just something else that the Zombies could Steal. Rig is to loud anyways to talk.

You have no fucking idea, that is NOT the case. We usually have literally seconds to accept a job or it goes to someone else. What I do is VERY competitive, there are more people who do what I do than there are jobs available. You have no fucking idea, don't be a complete asshole on this.

One more don't be a complete asshole on this.
Well Jerry, that's your own fault (keep reading). If you rode around in a covered wagon, pulled by horses as Zorba does, you would be able to answer the phone safely!

We can keep yammering about this all day long, but none of it really matters. Any "smartphone idiot" that wants CarPlay (and a microphone for it), is probably going to install CarPlay whether or not Zorba wants him to. Clearly Zorba is the odd man out on this opinion, besides that one other guy that said it's science.

If anything at least be glad the OP is trying to use CarPlay which is safer than messing around with the phone itself.

@Zorba since you weren't buying Jerry's pilot example, then take mine. I was a bus driver in college for several years. If you don't like people talking on the phone, then you might want to call all the local bus dispatchers and tell them to shut it down. Driving those you have to constantly get rerouted for daily scenarios and you end up with a radio in one hand while you drive with your other hand. The worst part is not only are you talking while driving, you are pressing a button on the handset while talking! Then you get passengers asking you things all the time, meanwhile "smartphone idiots" on the road are cutting you off left and right. So if you think people talking on the phone in their car is scary, wait til you see what bus drivers do daily...

Of course. Like EVERYBODY else, you are THE exception...

actually, yeah, when compared to the average, almost ALL individuals ARE exceptions. In fact, about a third of individuals aren't even within 1 standard deviation of the average.

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear
Actually, SoCalGlide, that is a terrible comparison :)

https://www.apa.org/research/action/drive#:~:text=Psychological research is showing that,had too much to drink.

TL;DR Talking on the phone, hands-free or otherwise, give you about the same reaction times (and resulting likelihood of an accident) as driving drunk. This isn't opinion, this is science. What is less certain is why this happens, but it happens.

For whatever reason, talking to a passenger (or listening to the radio/audiobook) does not have the same effect on driving, although it is still worse that concentrating entirely on the road.

D-

It pays to read the whole thing.

(emphasis mine)

Corroboration came from a 2003 Spanish study that found, in a rare experiment using drivers in real cars on actual highways, that complex phone conversations affected visual scanning and reduced a driver's ability to detect, discriminate among and respond to visual targets - by as much as 30 percent. In this study, by psychologists Miguel Angel Recarte Goldarecena, PhD, of the Universidad Complutense in Madrid, and Luis Miguel Nunes González, PhD, of Spain's Administration for Traffic Safety, found equivalent effects from hands-free phone and live in-car conversations. In a 2002 study, they had found that low-demand conversations could be held with no interference. They concluded that the complexity of the conversation was what compromised concentration, whether the driver talked by phone or to a passenger. Thus, distractions inside one's own head can be just as disruptive as environmental distractions.

Guess we better take it upon ourselves to drive in constant silence, and don't let your mind wander to anything other than complete focus on driving. And remember, keep things black and white - the 500 miles of I-70 between Denver, CO and Salina, KS requires exactly the same attention as the 5 at rush hour - 100%.

You have no fucking idea, that is NOT the case. We usually have literally seconds to accept a job or it goes to someone else. What I do is VERY competitive, there are more people who do what I do than there are jobs available. You have no fucking idea, don't be a complete asshole on this.

One more don't be a complete asshole on this.
When it comes to *MY* Safety, I'm not supposed to be an asshole? Maybe your entire field of endeavor needs a wakeup call and some reform. Endangering everyone else isn't justifiable - we obviously won't agree on this, so I'll drop it...

Reactions: pc1p
I'd normally laugh but I'm too pissed off at one of the above very thoughtless comments.
Truth hurts, huh? I'm sorry Jerry, but I will *NOT* compromise my safety for the pseudo-convenience of ANYBODY else. So I guess you'll have to stay pissed off and I'll be an asshole about it. I sincerely hope you never cause an accident. As far as I'm concerned the ONLY number anyone should ever be talking to while a vehicle is in motion is 9-1-1. "Hang up and drive!"

If it makes it any better for ya - I've had the same discussion with my wife who yammers on her phone when she shouldn't be. Nothin' personal - like I say, I like and respect you. I just disagree...

Last edited:
Reactions: pc1p
Well Jerry, that's your own fault (keep reading). If you rode around in a covered wagon, pulled by horses as Zorba does, you would be able to answer the phone safely!
I wouldn't talk on the phone even in a horse drawn wagon. The horse would probably spook at the ringtone!