Taking Calls on Loud Speaker

We can keep yammering about this all day long, but none of it really matters. Any "smartphone idiot" that wants CarPlay (and a microphone for it), is probably going to install CarPlay whether or not Zorba wants him to. Clearly Zorba is the odd man out on this opinion, besides that one other guy that said it's science.

If anything at least be glad the OP is trying to use CarPlay which is safer than messing around with the phone itself.

@Zorba since you weren't buying Jerry's pilot example, then take mine. I was a bus driver in college for several years. If you don't like people talking on the phone, then you might want to call all the local bus dispatchers and tell them to shut it down. Driving those you have to constantly get rerouted for daily scenarios and you end up with a radio in one hand while you drive with your other hand. The worst part is not only are you talking while driving, you are pressing a button on the handset while talking! Then you get passengers asking you things all the time, meanwhile "smartphone idiots" on the road are cutting you off left and right. So if you think people talking on the phone in their car is scary, wait til you see what bus drivers do daily...
Agree with the 1st and 2nd, and don't bus drivers use boom mics? Such conversations have to do with the operation of the bus, and are very short and to the point. A distraction yes, but not negotiating a real estate loan or something of that nature.

Yea, if you insist on using a smartphone, at the very least it needs to be hands free - which I'm sure is what Jerry is doing. I see all kinds of in-attentive driving just about every time I get behind the wheel, much of it is some idiot holding a smartphone, but sometimes its obvious that they're hands free and they're still a menace. When I'm driving myself, I cannot tell what the other person is doing, only that they're impaired one way or another. When my wife drives, I can observe more!

All 3 of my vehicles have bluetooth capability one way or another. I haven't bothered pairing my bluetooth capable flip to any of them - I just don't answer the phone until I can stop if I consider it important enough to do so. If I'm 5 minutes late to dance class, my teacher calls me even though she knows I won't answer. One time I was running so late, that I pulled into a convenient parking lot and called her back...

I am *very* focused when I'm driving - or even riding a bicycle. If "it" doesn't have anything to do with the task of driving, I ignore it.

... Endangering everyone else isn't justifiable ...

That's the same line used to insist that everyone has to get all the covid vaccines and wear masks. We'd also be a lot safer if cars couldn't go over 25. It's all about balance and risk management.

Clearly you've determined that you can't talk on the phone and drive safely. That's being responsible. Some people can't safely drive and night. Some can't focus and drive on long trips. Some find the radio too distracting. At some point we need be individually responsible and understand that one size doesn't fit all and universal mandated won't fix that. How about accepting some diversity, Mr. guy in a skirt?

Agree with the 1st and 2nd, and don't bus drivers use boom mics? Such conversations have to do with the operation of the bus, and are very short and to the point. A distraction yes, but not negotiating a real estate loan or something of that nature.

Yea, if you insist on using a smartphone, at the very least it needs to be hands free - which I'm sure is what Jerry is doing. I see all kinds of in-attentive driving just about every time I get behind the wheel, much of it is some idiot holding a smartphone, but sometimes its obvious that they're hands free and they're still a menace. When I'm driving myself, I cannot tell what the other person is doing, only that they're impaired one way or another. When my wife drives, I can observe more!

All 3 of my vehicles have bluetooth capability one way or another. I haven't bothered pairing my bluetooth capable flip to any of them - I just don't answer the phone until I can stop if I consider it important enough to do so. If I'm 5 minutes late to dance class, my teacher calls me even though she knows I won't answer. One time I was running so late, that I pulled into a convenient parking lot and called her back...

I am *very* focused when I'm driving - or even riding a bicycle. If "it" doesn't have anything to do with the task of driving, I ignore it.
Our busses were shitty and old. I don't recall any of the boom mics working. The majority of them were 1999-2006 and we were driving them from 2015-2017 when I worked there. A conversation with a passenger could be short and to the point, or they could literally be trying to have a real conversation thinking they were making your day, or they were bored and wanted to talk. I can't think of any driver that would tell them to shut it and stop talking, so if that happened, you're pretty much going to be 'distracted' driving as you talk to a passenger. Keep in mind, all college kids, so it's not like a city bus where it's all random weirdos who keep to themselves. It's a bunch of students riding a bus service driven by 90% students and 10% full time drivers who were usually retired folks.

Reactions: Zorba
Our buses were shitty and old. I don't recall any of the boom mics working. The majority of them were 1999-2006 and we were driving them from 2015-2017 when I worked there. A conversation with a passenger could be short and to the point, or they could literally be trying to have a real conversation thinking they were making your day, or they were bored and wanted to talk. I can't think of any driver that would tell them to shut it and stop talking, so if that happened, you're pretty much going to be 'distracted' driving as you talk to a passenger. Keep in mind, all college kids, so it's not like a city bus where it's all random weirdos who keep to themselves. It's a bunch of students riding a bus service driven by 90% students and 10% full time drivers who were usually retired folks.
Remember, the "science" says that passengers on the spot aren't nearly the distraction that a phone is. I don't know how true or false that is, but I've had to tell passengers to be QUIET on more than one occasion...

Clearly you've determined that you can't talk on the phone and drive safely. That's being responsible. Some people can't safely drive and night. Some can't focus and drive on long trips. Some find the radio too distracting. At some point we need be individually responsible and understand that one size doesn't fit all and universal mandated won't fix that. How about accepting some diversity, Mr. guy in a skirt?
I seldom listen to the radio/stereo myself for much the same reason. The reason this subject pisses me off so much is the fact that I see smartphone/cell phone distracted drivers every damn day. It gets old. I had one stop in the middle of the street just today! I'm completely with you on "individual responsibility", the problem is that many/most are not and thus everyone pays the price with yet another bullshit law.

Reactions: srimes
masks don't do the square root of fuck all with the virus
But it makes people feel safe to see others wearing it. The same reasoning you're giving for demanding that others don't do anything and stay hypervigilant while driving...

But it makes people feel safe to see others wearing it. The same reasoning you're giving for demanding that others don't do anything and stay hyper-vigilant while driving...
Your example does not compute. The masks do nothing. Staying alert and paying attention to the road does.

What does not compute is you bitching about your anxiety of people using their cell phones on a Jeep forum on a thread asking about external speakers!
And for multiple pages... as if it will change anyone's decision to make the tradeoff in risk.

What does not compute is you bitching about your anxiety of people using their cell phones on a Jeep forum on a thread asking about external speakers!
I didn't bring up cell phones, the OP did. I just responded. I won't bore everyone with the story of my encounters with not one, but TWO smartphone idiots on my drive home from dance class tonite. I'm sure they felt they were entitled and "the exception" just like the rest of the smartphone apologists here.

So back to the topic:
I have a Bluetooth head unit and an external mic in my tj. People tend to complain about background noise when I take a call on the road. I keep a pair of Samsung galaxy buds on me for that. The audio quality for both parties is much better. I can be on the highway at 80mph and still hold a conversation.

If the top or the doors are off forget it :ROFLMAO: