Taking Calls on Loud Speaker

Are you also against listening to music, podcasts, or audiobooks while driving?
Pretty much, actually. I seldom listen to music on the road, and only when traffic is light. I'd *NEVER* listen to audiobooks or podcasts - anything that I had to think about - while driving. As an aside, I don't do audiobooks anyway - I've never liked being read to, preferring to read it myself; and I've never listened to a podcast in my life for much the same reason.

I don't like distractions when I'm driving - I'm very focused. I also don't give a damn about what's going on on the side of the road either - if its not in my way I don't care about it, thus rubberneckers drive me batscat crazy!

Meh, some of us can walk and chew gum at the same time.
I can do "Hongallah" shimmies, body undulations, snake arms, and play finger cymbals all while balancing a flaming candelabra on my head. That doesn't mean I can drive and talk on the fucking phone at the same time - if I screw that up, carnage ensues. If I screw up my dancing, nobody gets hurt.

Reactions: SoCalGlide
I can do "Hongallah" shimmies, body undulations, snake arms, and play finger cymbals all while balancing a flaming candelabra on my head. That doesn't mean I can drive and talk on the fucking phone at the same time - if I screw that up, carnage ensues. If I screw up my dancing, nobody gets hurt.
If I can be flying an airplane and talk on the radio to the tower using a microphone I sure as fuck can be talking on my cellphone while driving. How many hundreds of thousands of pilots are talking on their radios while flying every single day?

hahaha. There are shotgun mics for about $50 you can hook up. I was just wondering how everyone is getting on with their standard mics.

I have no issue using my AirPods when driving but was just thinking what level of external mic to connect to the head unit if I wanted to use loudspeaker when I'm with my lady or have friends in the ride.

If I can be flying an airplane and talk on the radio to the tower using a microphone I sure as fuck can be talking on my cellphone while driving. How many hundreds of thousands of pilots are talking on their radios while flying every single day?
You have a bit more room and reaction time (typically) in an airplane...

• Face Palm
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
hahaha. There are shotgun mics for about $50 you can hook up. I was just wondering how everyone is getting on with their standard mics.

I have no issue using my AirPods when driving but was just thinking what level of external mic to connect to the head unit if I wanted to use loudspeaker when I'm with my lady or have friends in the ride.
There are limits to what I'd do with a cellphone in a car, I'd draw the line at trying to make it usable for my passengers to use hands-free. If they want to talk on the phone I'll hand it to them. :)

You have how many hours of pilot-in-command seat time flying an airplane?
PLUS - you're (mostly) talking about operational issues, not holding business meetings.

I mean - you smartphone people can justify their (mis-)use all you like. Its a decision YOU have to make - and live with the consequences. Myself, I don't need/want the distraction. I wish the damn things had never been invented...

It's not bad. Think of less windy places in your jeep, like somewhere on the dash.

If you're going to use it and you think it's too windy/loud for them to hear you, you're probably not going to be able to hear them on the other end. It's a bonus of an aftermarket radio and amped speakers, you can hear the conversation loud and clear.

It's not bad. Think of less windy places in your jeep, like somewhere on the dash.

If you're going to use it and you think it's too windy/loud for them to hear you, you're probably not going to be able to hear them on the other end. It's a bonus of an aftermarket radio and amped speakers, you can hear the conversation loud and clear.
Yes but rarely will they be able to hear you well. When I tried my phone using my radio's Bluetooth ability I could usually hear them ok but rarely could they hear me well enough for a conversation even with my top on and windows closed.

Full disclosure: I do not initiate calls while I'm driving. I will answer a call if it's from the wife, family, or close friend. That happens about once a month. I have a double din Bluetooth stereo with a mic built into the front faceplate. It works just fine with minimal effort.

Reactions: Kon
Yes but rarely will they be able to hear you well. When I tried my phone using my radio's Bluetooth ability I could usually hear them ok but rarely could they hear me well enough for a conversation even with my top on and windows closed.

I can't speak for the built in Bluetooth style head units. I wouldn't trust it.

I have the external mic that came with my JVC. I've had several conversations with doors off, top back, etc. It works well from what everyone has told me. I don't have to repeat myself during a call.

Screenshot_20220307-173609_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: srimes
I can't speak for the built in Bluetooth style head units. I wouldn't trust it.

I have the external mic that came with my JVC. I've had several conversations with doors off, top back, etc. It works well from what everyone has told me. I don't have to repeat myself during a call.

View attachment 314098
My external mic is about 3" to the left of that inside and at the bottom the instrument cluster housing and everyone always complained and told me to call them back later.

My external mic is about 3" to the left of that inside and at the bottom the instrument cluster housing and everyone always complained and told me to call them back later.

Interesting. Maybe since mines up higher, it's a little closer to my voice. Plus, a little forward lean and would be even closer. I lean against the console a good bit so the mic pretty much lines up with my noggin.

a flaming what ?????

I have an aftermarket Sony with the same style external mic as most of the others. It is pretty much useless with the windows out. Wife gets pissed when I answer on it, which makes it worthwhile. I generally don’t like talking on the phone whether driving or not.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford