Terrible noises on a newish crate engine

jmask

Hey all, I recently (last year) got a new crate engine and dropped it in. It's been running great for about 6mo/4,000 miles. As of yesterday, she started making some crazy new noises and shaking around during the middle of a drive. I've got codes for a misfire on cylinder 1, but I haven't been able to nail down why.

Does this inconsistent knock/slap sound familiar to anyone? Is one of my pistons shot? Should I start a warranty claim with my crate engine provider? Any information anyone might have is appreciated - thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1020.mov
    34.7 MB
Sounds like you have a dead miss- I would not even be running that thing at all if you can help it- at all- need to file a claim before it grenades and is not fixable.

Sounds like a hit-n-miss engine. Start making ice cream. ;)

Seriously, start diagnosing. Pull the codes. Drop a little oil and see if it sparkles. Get out the stethoscope and see if you can isolate where it's coming from. Then move into compression checks etc.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
Yeah the codes were P0201 and P0301. I swapped around the injectors to see if the problem would follow (it did not). Pulled the plugs which all looked good. Stuck a boroscope in there and saw some questionable looking cylinder walls on pretty much every cylinder - I'll attach some videos of that. My boroscope isn't very good so the videos aren't great, but looks like cylinder scoring to me.

Going to have a buddy bring over a compression test kit later today and see what that's looking like as well as getting a little oil sample and check for glitter.

@macleanflood to answer your question, the engine is from https://www.powertraincompany.com/

cylinder 1 boroscope:
cylinder 2 boroscope

Reactions: macleanflood
I was expecting to hear something more rhythmic /up tempo. A good rod knock or something. There is a rhythm but wonder if it is camshaft related with that tempo failed camshaft lobes? Just throwing out a thought.

Hey all, I recently (last year) got a new crate engine and dropped it in. It's been running great for about 6mo/4,000 miles. As of yesterday, she started making some crazy new noises and shaking around during the middle of a drive. I've got codes for a misfire on cylinder 1, but I haven't been able to nail down why.

Does this inconsistent knock/slap sound familiar to anyone? Is one of my pistons shot? Should I start a warranty claim with my crate engine provider? Any information anyone might have is appreciated - thanks!

Short answer YES and sorry, you need to stop driving it immediately.

Figured it was toast. Will run the compression test still for the heck of it, but will go ahead and get the warranty process started with powertrain. Thanks for the input all

Figured it was toast. Will run the compression test still for the heck of it, but will go ahead and get the warranty process started with powertrain. Thanks for the input all

Keep us updated how they treat ya

Let me know if you're buying pizza and beer for the thrash party... you're only four hours north...I can bring my own 10mm socket.

Or does Power Train Company make you use a "professional mechanic" for warranty.

-Mac

It being intermittent like that, I'd check the top end. It would be regular if it was in the rotating assembly. Maybe a busted valve spring or keeper that got loose and is bouncing around in there? Pull the valve cover watch it run.

Reactions: Gollywomper
See what they say about warranty before proceeding. They may have you take it to a shop for warranty.

Alright I think I've nailed down what the issue is. Compression showed cylinder 1 ~130psi and the rest right on 150 so something is definitely up with cylinder 1. Popped the valve cover off to look around in there and it seems like one of the lifters on c1 is shot. There was a ton of play on it while the others were pretty solid. The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is if a busted lifter would contribute to poor compression on that cylinder, or if there's something else bad going on in there. Either way, seems like that lifter needs replacing.

Going to give powertrain a call this week and see what they can do about the warranty. Hoping they still honor it given I installed the engine myself, but will update here once I get some info from them

Video of the lifter play

Yes it may cause compression issues. Looks like a bad/collapsed lifter. Could just be a bad lifter or could be caused by a valve issue as well.

Reactions: jmask
You will likely find a worn cam lobe and lifter. Does the oil have glitter in it? I would make sure when they ask you about break in, you explain how you followed their procedures to a T and used non-synthetic break in oil followed by an immediate oil change.

I'm a vote for bad/collapsed lifter. The compression reading is down because the collapsed lifter isn't opening or holding the valve open as it should be and is letting in less air, thus the lower reading.

Hey folks, just wanted to loop back here since this saga has been ongoing for a while. A few of y'all had it right. A lifter went bad and chewed up my cam in the process. The crate engine company refused to pay out any kind of warranty claim since I installed the engine myself, so I'm on the hook for the (hefty) lifter/cam/labor costs. The rig is currently in the shop as I just don't have the time or space to get it done myself these days. Should be getting her back soon.

Overall pretty negative experience from Powertrain Company in terms of quality, customer service, and overall interaction - can't say I'd recommend them in the future if anyone else is looking for a crate engine.

Thanks all for the help diagnosing! Hoping to be back on the road soon

• Sad
Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Hey folks, just wanted to loop back here since this saga has been ongoing for a while. A few of y'all had it right. A lifter went bad and chewed up my cam in the process. The crate engine company refused to pay out any kind of warranty claim since I installed the engine myself, so I'm on the hook for the (hefty) lifter/cam/labor costs. The rig is currently in the shop as I just don't have the time or space to get it done myself these days. Should be getting her back soon.

Overall pretty negative experience from Powertrain Company in terms of quality, customer service, and overall interaction - can't say I'd recommend them in the future if anyone else is looking for a crate engine.

Thanks all for the help diagnosing! Hoping to be back on the road soon

I've heard that a lot on crate engines, seems most of the rebuilders do whatever they can to weasel their way out of the warranty they promised you when you bought it.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck