Texas Texas Jeepers!

Fortunately, HF is, as you put it, more forgiving...and I don't recall having scars on my sliders from HF except one time when I came down a bit hard on one side. Now, Wolf Caves definitely "left some marks" I had to hit with a bit of paint 😬

@Tldelaney, HF is way "softer" than Wolf. Do consider coming out even if you don't have time to get the sliders on.

Looking forward to Sunday!

Thanks for the heads up. I was concerned adding more dents into the tub. 🤣 my underside from the last go around. You get the point.
20201111_113609.jpg
20201110_170307.jpg
20201110_170310.jpg
20201110_170329.jpg
20201110_170212.jpg

20201110_170242.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
Mmmmm, I see your point. That's a can or two of Rustoleum, there!

I'd certainly want to have sliders for off-roading in general but HF is all limestone and caliche...literally less than half the hardness of the granite at WC and encounters usually leave far more rock on the Jeep than Jeep on the rock. Even when I was wheeling an ATV at HF, damage was minimal. That said, the rockers are a particularly vulnerable area, as you discovered...prolly best to get those sliders on.

For the lower control arm mounts, I can strongly suggest getting some skids. Even though they were exceedingly badly welded on by what I must assume was a monkey in a man suite (prior-prior owner), the ones on my jeep have absorbed considerable punishment that would have otherwise been meted out to the mount and/or control arm on my Jeep. A quick search shows quite a few bolt-on options that would probably save the arms/mounts from the majority of "rock carnage".

Last edited:
Reactions: Tldelaney
Another thread made me thunk of this...
If anyone would prefer to have their license plate numbers unknown (maybe a bit late for the gang at WC :rolleyes:) or footage/pics of their Jeeps left out of future posts, please let me know and I will try to keep them private (vids would probably just be excluded as the required object-tracking needed to blur a plate is a bit time-consuming).

Looking forward to getting some more trail dust up my nose and more sharable footage of @b0xcar, @Bob in Texas, and (hopefully) @Tldelaney at HF this Sunday! 🤠

Another fantastic day of Jeeping with @b0xcar and @Tldelaney. The weather was pretty "moist" for a good part of the day, turning the caliche into snot and making the trails pretty darn slick, but that only slowed us down a little.
With b0xcar's excellent direction, we took on some pretty challenging trails like Greenhorn 1 and 2, Bronco Buster, U-Joint Buster, Green Mile, and the infamous Park Road 3 :LOL:. The only one we investigated and decided against was Stonehenge...just too much loose rock to climb, only have to turn around, due to a very large obstacle at the top, and head back down an equally-nasty descent.

The weather messed with videography but I hope to have at least some video of the day put up soon.

Reactions: Tldelaney
With the recent wifely thumbs up on getting the re-gear done so I can run 35's, I now officially have a set of 5 brand new, never-been-mounted 33" x 12.5" X 15" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3 tires for sale. Here's the tire on the MT site.
It looks like these have pricing controlled by MT because every listing I could find for them in this size was listing them for $236.99 each. That would be $1,185 for 5 tires.
Before I put them up on CL, I'm offering them up to anyone here that wants them. I'll sell 'em for $950 for the set of 5! And, I'll even throw in free delivery (or a meet-up) within 50 miles or so of Lago Vista!
For more information or specific pics, just ask.

PXL_20210110_000513026 (2).jpg
PXL_20210110_000632941.jpg

Thanks!
I'm staying with the 15" rims. Thinking the extra sidewall/flex will help with footprint and it will certainly improve the protection of the rims as there will be another 1.5" of tire between the trail surface and the rim. That, and I kinda like the "lots o' rubber" look.

Reactions: Tob and Tldelaney
Thanks!
I'm staying with the 15" rims. Thinking the extra sidewall/flex will help with footprint and it will certainly improve the protection of the rims as there will be another 1.5" of tire between the trail surface and the rim. That, and I kinda like the "lots o' rubber" look.
Nice! Let us know what you decide yo go with. Id love to pick those tires up from you but want to stick with the 31s or 32s for driveability.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Oh, I'm still going with the MT Baja MTZ...just in 35". I like the look and I like the reviews I have seen. As with all tires, it's really subjective because it depends on your experience, your terrain, your expectations, and your preferences...but I think the MT's will do what I want with a good deal of longevity.

Damnit!! I just stripped out one of my tranny mount/skid plate nutserts last weekend and won't get in the replacement until Saturday!
Screw it, 5 out of 6 bolts is plenty...see ya there!

Adding @b0xcar to the "tagged" list.

Reactions: JMT