That One Modification — Was It Worth the Time and Expense?

That is a pro move right there. I have gotten away with many things by making them into some kind of benefit for the kids.

On the gearing, that definitely sounds like a job that I will pay someone to do.
Thanks Bro , it was survival.

Plus it really helped " Jr." and my lead carpenter, who is awesome.

A regear can only be dead right , it can't be "close".

We have a number of guys here that can do them..I ain't one if em!

My one mod, also the most expensive was the half cab, could have saved some money if I’d tried to do it myself but no thanks, “a man’s got to know his limitations.” I think it was worth the $. Still love the Cj8 look. Ripley gets compliments often. Gonna look even better after she’s painted next month.

I have so much I can say about that. 4-5 mirror revisions later...
Same here. I recently got a different set that mounts lower, but I can already tell that when the top goes back on I won't be able to see the passenger side mirror, just like with stock mirror relocation brackets.:mad: My next step will probably make my own mirror arms from aluminum flat stock.🥴
I got it figured out. The last set I got has a nice, solid mount that is supposed to mount to the lower bolts on the side of the windshield frame. This makes them sit too low to see most of the passenger side mirror. HOWEVER, the two bolts, above where the frame folds are the same distance apart. I mounted them there, and I can see the whole mirror.

1574122448000.png

Drop Down Tailgate... The worst thing I have done to date. can no longer reach in back very easily. Also mounted the tire in the back, equally bad.

I bought a Bestop High Rock stubby front bumper. It took three delivery attempts before UPS actually delivered one that hadn't been dropped or scuffed to shit.

Unfortunately, the third one had chips in the finish that I hadn't noticed. The finish was flaking off three months after I'd installed it.

I sent Bestop customer service photos of the nonsense. To their credit, they sent me out a brand new bumper, scuff and chip free. It's still on my TJ.

I'm happy with it now that I've got one that doesn't suck, but it was a pain in the ass getting to that point.

I got it figured out. The last set I got has a nice, solid mount that is supposed to mount to the lower bolts on the side of the windshield frame. This makes them sit too low to see most of the passenger side mirror. HOWEVER, the two bolts, above where the frame folds are the same distance apart. I mounted them there, and I can see the whole mirror.

View attachment 125535

What mounts are those? And do you by any chance have a photo of them with mirrors mounted in the location you describe?

a 50" light bar (gone), a high lift jack (collecting dust), my 1st attempt at a TC cross member (replaced), 2 sets of wheels i can't use, when my new axles are finished.

These are the mirrors. I replaced the "Quick Release" bolt with a normal bolt so that they don't move, (8mmX1.25X40mm).
I don't have a picture, but if you look at the one I posted last time you can see where they go. The bottom and middle bolt on the upper part of the hinge.

You see where this chrome piece is? Those are the bolts I used.

1574301721405.png

Pair Quick Release Mirror Side For 1997-16 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rear View Driver BT
1574300983154.png

Reactions: psrivats
I built a front bumper with tow bar brackets only to find out I really dislike flat towing and the bumper. I removed and built a new bumper 2 or 3 months later. I think I still have the tow bar somewhere, but the bumper I cut to a better length, cut off the tow bar mounts and gave it to a friend.

Tuffy security box that takes up all the extra space behind the seat up to the top of the tailgate. It's nice to have a big lockable storage bin, but I loose a lot of what makes the LJ great. The PO installed it, and I'm thinking hard about removing it. It's nice to have some lockable storage, but I'd like to be able to put the dog back there rather than the back seat.

The one I regret the most was putting the Bestop (soft) half top "kit" on mine.
IMG_20160225_144625305.jpg

IMG_20160225_144633373.jpg

It was a good idea, in my head. The two things that made it regrettable was that I made the mistake of not anticipating problems before completely installing everything. I was able to return every piece, but now I have two 1/2" holes in my rollbar padding from moving my speaker pods to the front, and screw holes in the tub from installing the top's floor bracket.

The other one is my hardtop. I like it, but I sure do miss being able to lose the top whenever I wanted.