That RMS leak opinion question

Ronutz

Supporting Member
I have a 2004 TJ 4.0. The last couple of times I've changed the oil, I've noticed engine oil collecting on that usual part of the transmission. I've already seen the posts on here about how to replace and fix the issue, but my question is, how long could you go with that RMS leak if it's slight? I regularly check my oil, and It's always right where it should be; there are never any pools or spots of oil in the garage where I park. I know it's something that needs to be fixed, but I don't have the time to crawl under there and do the project, school is taking priority. It's on my radar but if I want to DIY, which I do, it will have to wait a while. So realistically what do you think? I know it's a fairly common issue. Has anyone gone a long time with a minor leak like that?

Thanks, everyone

I have a 2004 TJ 4.0. The last couple of times I've changed the oil, I've noticed engine oil collecting on that usual part of the transmission. I've already seen the posts on here about how to replace and fix the issue, but my question is, how long could you go with that RMS leak if it's slight? I regularly check my oil, and It's always right where it should be; there are never any pools or spots of oil in the garage where I park. I know it's something that needs to be fixed, but I don't have the time to crawl under there and do the project, school is taking priority. It's on my radar but if I want to DIY, which I do, it will have to wait a while. So realistically what do you think? I know it's a fairly common issue. Has anyone gone a long time with a minor leak like that?

Thanks, everyone

Went 6 years. I’m trying to fix it this week.

Add a can of Bar's Leaks Rear Main Seal Repair to your oil. $10 from any auto parts store. It may even fully stop your RMS leak for a while. I have been going on 3-years since using Bar's and no dripping on the ground anymore.

Thanks, everyone

Going on 2 years. When it starts leaking enough to make a spot overnight I’ll move up the list.

Reactions: Ronutz and Irun
Most RMS leaks can be cured (not just plugged) by switching to a High Mileage engine oil. Personally I prefer and use a High Mileage conventional 10W-30 in all three of my vehicles to keep the RMS from leaking. And know too that if you're running a synthetic that some synthetics can dry out the RMS and cause it to leak.

I learned this 9-10 years ago after buying a used BMW that had never seen anything but Castrol synthetic engine oil and it developed a MAJOR RMS leak soon after I bought it, it was leaking nearly a quart a week. I checked with 5-6 BMW shops (not BMW dealers) and all wanted close to $2k to replace the RMS which I didn't want to spend. I checked several BMW forums and all suggested the switch to a conventional High Mileage engine oil which I did. The RMS leak completely stopped in 7-8 days of lots of driving. That's when I switched all my vehicles to High Mileage conventional oils. Personally I'd only run a synthetic if I lived somewhere where it gets extremely cold like Minnesota, North Dakota, etc. where synthetic definitely has an advantage.

And yes conventional High Mileage engine oils are not always easy to find, Pennzoil High Mileage conventional is usually available at Walmart and it's on Amazon too. Most auto parts stores dropped conventional engine oils due to the higher profit margins of synthetics. Good quality conventional engine oils still have their places where they're a good choice. :)

My RMS was leaking for a while too until I had a hemorrhoidectomy. :ROFLMAO:

1707402538017.png

And yes conventional High Mileage engine oils are not always easy to find, Pennzoil High Mileage conventional is usually available at Walmart and it's on Amazon too. Most auto parts stores dropped conventional engine oils due to the higher profit margins of synthetics. Good quality conventional engine oils still have their places where they're a good choice. :)
I use the same (Penzoil High Mileage 10W-30). My WalMart doesn't carry it anymore. Home Depot stocks it.

Before you do anything, make sure it's a RMS leak and not a valve cover or oil pan leak. Far more often than not, people find loose nuts on both of these things and it stops their leak.

Good call, I'll crawl under there when I have the time and give everything a once-over

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Most RMS leaks can be cured (not just plugged) by switching to a High Mileage engine oil. Personally I prefer and use a High Mileage conventional 10W-30 in all three of my vehicles to keep the RMS from leaking. And know too that if you're running a synthetic that some synthetics can dry out the RMS and cause it to leak.

I learned this 9-10 years ago after buying a used BMW that had never seen anything but Castrol synthetic engine oil and it developed a MAJOR RMS leak soon after I bought it, it was leaking nearly a quart a week. I checked with 5-6 BMW shops (not BMW dealers) and all wanted close to $2k to replace the RMS which I didn't want to spend. I checked several BMW forums and all suggested the switch to a conventional High Mileage engine oil which I did. The RMS leak completely stopped in 7-8 days of lots of driving. That's when I switched all my vehicles to High Mileage conventional oils. Personally I'd only run a synthetic if I lived somewhere where it gets extremely cold like Minnesota, North Dakota, etc. where synthetic definitely has an advantage.

I've always been loyal to Valvoline but they don't do high mileage conventional anymore from what I can tell, the closest I can get is their high mileage synthetic blend. I did go full synthetic this winter cause it got pretty cold but I changed it out for the synthetic blend last week. I change my oil every 2k miles cause it's my daily driver and I drive it pretty hard. I know it might be overkill but it gives me an excuse to spend some time in the garage lol. Should I turn my back on Valvoline and go full conventional? I know these old engines get along great with it.

I've always been loyal to Valvoline but they don't do high mileage conventional anymore from what I can tell, the closest I can get is their high mileage synthetic blend. I did go full synthetic this winter cause it got pretty cold but I changed it out for the synthetic blend last week. I change my oil every 2k miles cause it's my daily driver and I drive it pretty hard. I know it might be overkill but it gives me an excuse to spend some time in the garage lol. Should I turn my back on Valvoline and go full conventional? I know these old engines get along great with it.
I'm a former loyal Valvoline user too and really liked it but I switched to Pennzoil without regret after Valvoline stopped making the conventional High Mileage. Any of the major brands of oils are fine, I'd use Walmart/NAPA/etc. brand conventional High Mileage engine oils without a second thought if I couldn't find Pennzoil.