The Cicadas are Coming

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
I was working in VA 17 years ago when these things came about, and holy hell were they EVERYWHERE. I was working at a Toyota shop at the time in an area of older buildings & houses, and these cicadas came out in full force. I remember the tires on customer's cars literally covered in cicadas from just being parked under these large oak trees, and after driving a car into the shop I'd put it on a lift and the tires would be oozing slime. The dealership walls were crawling with them, I couldn't ride my motorcycle for about a week because they were ruining my helmet & jacket - I'd never seen anything like it.

https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2020/05/CALS-periodical_cicada_2020.html

• Wow
Reactions: psrivats and Daryl
Those things are very cool! Unfortunately I don't think we ever see any of them in Oregon. Maybe in Arizona?

I was working in VA 17 years ago when these things came about, and holy hell were they EVERYWHERE. I was working at a Toyota shop at the time in an area of older buildings & houses, and these cicadas came out in full force. I remember the tires on customer's cars literally covered in cicadas from just being parked under these large oak trees, and after driving a car into the shop I'd put it on a lift and the tires would be oozing slime. The dealership walls were crawling with them, I couldn't ride my motorcycle for about a week because they were ruining my helmet & jacket - I'd never seen anything like it.

https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2020/05/CALS-periodical_cicada_2020.html

That is insane wow!

Those things are very cool! Unfortunately I don't think we ever see any of them in Oregon. Maybe in Arizona?

We get them real bad in Vegas/ Henderson area, wouldn’t be surprised if there down there.

Had a bush at my old house the size of a VW Bug, couldn’t even have a conversation next to it

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
That is insane wow!

We get them real bad in Vegas/ Henderson area, wouldn’t be surprised if there down there.

Had a bush at my old house the size of a VW Bug, couldn’t even have a conversation next to it

Maybe we'll get down there just in time to see them, I guess we'll see.

Reactions: J R
It's an amazing thing to see. I remember the Chicago brood awakening in about 2005.