The good news thread

Here’s Owen as Bubbleman, the easily distracted super hero.
View attachment 176204
That's awesome. My son Riley had a spiderman outfit years at that age

We went into Home Depot ..people kept making comments , just being fun.

He said " I wish they'd shut up".

I'd give no telling what to re live their childhood...I was so busy trying to build a business I missed way too much. It got easier later.

I played my first 18 holes of golf today after 15 years. I gave the game up when I met the wife, I was just too far into it. At the range every day after work, playing twice a week - it was just something I couldn't do casually.

Now that my son is 8 he came with me! I've taken him to the range a few times, and today was his first time out ever. He had a blast, I let him tee off a few times & he pitched & putted on every hole. He also got to drive the cart which made his day. Reminds me of the times I had with my dad & his buddies out on the course when I was that age, just with a lot less cigarette smoke & racial epithets.

This wasn’t good news for me, but it involves Owen and everyone had a good laugh at my expense. And it was kind of funny afterwards. You’ll probably laugh, too.
So, my wife watches Owen and his older brother, Eli on Wednesdays and Fridays. I worked from home this week, so I was there, too. The boys tend to ignore me as I don’t do video games or legos. I fart around in my garage or basement, just like their Dad. So, bleah, grandpa. The day went without drama and we took them home in the afternoon.
All the adults are standing around in the kitchen, BS’ing. Eli disappears into the basement and Owen is just running amok between us adults. On what seems like his tenth lap, he sticks his hand out as he runs past me. I flinch and say, “Owen just did a grab on my wang.” I get stares from everyone and grandma, being grandma, “It must have just been an accident”.
On Owens’ next lap, he punches me square in nuts! I drop like a rag doll. I’m now in the battered junk fetal position on the kitchen floor. My wife and son in law are laughing so hard that they are crying. My daughter is trying to yell at Owen for decking grandpa but can’t get any complete words out. She can’t breathe because she is laughing so hard. I’m still laying on the floor, groaning in pain. Eli wants to know everyone is laughing and why is grandpa laying on the floor. Between sobs, my son in law tells Eli that Owen punched grandpa in the nuts. Eli just says, “I taught him to do that”.

I just groaned, got up, and limped to the car. But not before telling both boys that payback will happen.

This wasn’t good news for me, but it involves Owen and everyone had a good laugh at my expense. And it was kind of funny afterwards. You’ll probably laugh, too.
So, my wife watches Owen and his older brother, Eli on Wednesdays and Fridays. I worked from home this week, so I was there, too. The boys tend to ignore me as I don’t do video games or legos. I fart around in my garage or basement, just like their Dad. So, bleah, grandpa. The day went without drama and we took them home in the afternoon.
All the adults are standing around in the kitchen, BS’ing. Eli disappears into the basement and Owen is just running amok between us adults. On what seems like his tenth lap, he sticks his hand out as he runs past me. I flinch and say, “Owen just did a grab on my wang.” I get stares from everyone and grandma, being grandma, “It must have just been an accident”.
On Owens’ next lap, he punches me square in nuts! I drop like a rag doll. I’m now in the battered junk fetal position on the kitchen floor. My wife and son in law are laughing so hard that they are crying. My daughter is trying to yell at Owen for decking grandpa but can’t get any complete words out. She can’t breathe because she is laughing so hard. I’m still laying on the floor, groaning in pain. Eli wants to know everyone is laughing and why is grandpa laying on the floor. Between sobs, my son in law tells Eli that Owen punched grandpa in the nuts. Eli just says, “I taught him to do that”.

I just groaned, got up, and limped to the car. But not before telling both boys that payback will happen.
Ahhhhhh, grandkids, never a dull moment.

Reactions: Squatch
All kinds of good news lately, last night was date night so my girl came over & we hung outside in the hut & enjoyed some beverages & fired up the grill

IMG_5751.jpg

then this afternoon I knocked off early & met my buddy in town for a couple. West Chester has closed the main drag in order to allow all the bars & restaurants to spread out into the street, it’s a thing of beauty, the photo below is pretty early today before the happy hour crowds appeared so they were just setting up. We hung out for a good few hours enjoying the beautiful day though a storm was brewing in the distance, we were chased out by darks skies & rains around 5:30 but that was fine, it was all smiles by then.

IMG_5762.jpg

a nice tall Hefeweizen, my brew of choice during the heat of August

IMG_5766.jpg

sampled a plate of Kildare's famous potato chip nachos, just delicious:

IMG_5767.jpg

Bonus, got home during a furious downpour with nearly constant lightening so I pulled the Sub into the garage where it rarely goes this time of year, got out & snapped this photo of the TJ just sitting there, dry as a bone, she’s a lucky girl

IMG_5768.jpg

I guess all of this seems pretty meager in the realm of good news but really it’s the best kind to me these days, just about a perfect 24 hours

Man, I haven’t had Red Stripe in ages.

So, ten days or so after the nut punch incident, I took Owen for his first solo ride in the sidecar. Just a short ride in the neighborhood to start. He followed the rules I gave him to the letter. We rolled back to the house and grandma asked him if he had fun. I think he would have popped his helmet off his head if his smile was any bigger. Grandma asked if he’d like to go for a longer ride. Again, big smile. Then grandma says that maybe grandpa will stop for ice cream. Grandpa didn’t need to hear that one twice.
I have a Saturday morning route I ride to go fishing and then for coffee, and then home. It’s about fifteen miles and a mix of gravel and paved farm roads. Owen is going nuts. He’s pointing out farm critters, tractors, excavators, silos, barns, and windmills. Laughing and yelling. Suddenly, he’s silent. I look over and he’s fast asleep. I roll into the ice cream place and park. I knock on Owens’ helmet and say, “Owen, ice cream.” I had to say it a couple of times until the cobwebs cleared, then he was gung ho for it. He wore a lot of his ice cream.
50153451852_3d6b9c47eb_z.jpg

Owen isn’t the first grandkid to pass out in the tub. His brother, Eli and cousin Karis in 2017.
33319909313_069481a960_z.jpg

Karis put her arm around Eli when he fell asleep and then she zonked. They look the same age but Eli is four years younger than Karis. She’s petite and he’s a bruiser.

I've been waiting three months for this "good news".

On April 28th, I was diagnosed with diabetes. My A1c number came in at 7.5, which isn't the worst by any stretch, but still, it's diabetes. It was a punch in the gut to get that bit of news, let me tell ya. As expected, my doctor wanted to start me right off on medications. I didn't want to do that, and instead, I proposed three months of dietary change, and then retest me. She finally agreed.

I had my lab work done on 8/7/20, and the doc gave me my results today. I dropped my A1c number from 7.5 to 5.7, which is no longer in the diabetic range. I've dropped 44 lbs. in the past three months, going from 304 lbs. to 260 lbs. today. You should've seen the look on the doc's face. It was priceless.

Anyways, I'm going to continue down this path. I haven't seen 260 lbs. in almost 30 years, and I'm feeling better than I have in years. And more importantly, I'm giving the finger to diabetes!!! 🖕

So there's my good news. 👍

Anyways, I'm going to continue down this path. I haven't seen 260 lbs. in almost 30 years, and I'm feeling better than I have in years. And more importantly, I'm giving the finger to diabetes!!! 🖕

man that's fantastic, and real good news.

Man, I haven’t had Red Stripe in ages.

So, ten days or so after the nut punch incident, I took Owen for his first solo ride in the sidecar.

haha, Owen continues to be the man, love that kid!

Man these are tough acts to follow, but small victories, today I learned the joys of 'fish wiring', honestly never even heard of such silliness until I unwrapped this box; decided to slap a trailer hitch on the Subaru to add to my growing biking/camping versatility, want to be able to throw my bike rack on & go places I'd rather not take & leave the TJ. Ordered this on Saturday & it showed up today so that was good news.

IMG_5835.jpg
IMG_5837.jpg

my factory holes weren't big enough to fish the brackets & bolts up into the frame so I had to notch it out with the Dremel to shove all that crap in there:

IMG_5839.jpg

here are the bolts after 'fish wiring' them in there, man this is a bit precarious as you're trying to get the hitch up there without pushing one or more of those bolts in there, thing would be rattling around inside my frame for the rest of eternity

IMG_5840.jpg

here's the real good news, I got to use my transmission jack for the second time since buying it last month, turned out to be the perfect other person to hold this awkward hitch flat & steady while cranking it up very slowly to thread those bolts in without calamity, worked like a charm:

IMG_5841.jpg

mental note, next time position the jack turned 180 degrees so I can easily access the ratchet to crank this mess up & down without wiggling under the car & between all this crap :oops:. So used to working on the TJ where there's so much room I can practically stand up under there :ROFLMAO:

IMG_5842.jpg
IMG_5843.jpg

all finished, took about an hour & a half due to the grinding, but altogether not bad at all, really happy with the way it came out:

IMG_5844.jpg
IMG_5846.jpg

I've been waiting three months for this "good news".

On April 28th, I was diagnosed with diabetes. My A1c number came in at 7.5, which isn't the worst by any stretch, but still, it's diabetes. It was a punch in the gut to get that bit of news, let me tell ya. As expected, my doctor wanted to start me right off on medications. I didn't want to do that, and instead, I proposed three months of dietary change, and then retest me. She finally agreed.

I had my lab work done on 8/7/20, and the doc gave me my results today. I dropped my A1c number from 7.5 to 5.7, which is no longer in the diabetic range. I've dropped 44 lbs. in the past three months, going from 304 lbs. to 260 lbs. today. You should've seen the look on the doc's face. It was priceless.

Great job! Type 2 is a bitch to keep under control over the long haul. Dropping the weight will certainly make it easier as will doing some exercise. Take a walk with the wife around town, any exercise will offset some food "sins". I have had A1C as low as 5.7 and as high as 9.9 (last January). The most amazing thing was the 9.9 was me failing my pre-op for a torn rotator cuff and frozen shoulder. 3 months later and my A1c went down to 6.2 and I have full motion of my shoulder, can't believe one of the best hospitals for this in New York City did not even take this into account. 4 months of physical therapy could not break my shoulder free but dropping A1C and 30 lbs did!

Reactions: Cheesy and Squatch
Great job! Type 2 is a bitch to keep under control over the long haul. Dropping the weight will certainly make it easier as will doing some exercise. Take a walk with the wife around town, any exercise will offset some food "sins".
Thanks, Chief!

At this point, I've not even been remotely tempted to stray from eating a more healthy diet. I've given up sugar (even most fruits), alcohol (let that sink in for a moment...moment of silence, please...), and all simple carbs. No bread, rice or pasta. I honestly thought giving up the bread would be a tough one for me, but screw it...no food is worth screwing around with diabetes. Thus far, the change in eating habits has been a breeze. I think the diagnosis scared the hell outta me, and I responded accordingly. As long as I remember what that felt like to hear those words "You're diabetic", I think I'll be good. That's the plan, anyways. :)

Good on both you guys. I’m also a Type 2 club member. I do a combo of diet, exercise, and meds. Tried doing two out of three but didn’t work very well for me and finally hit on the right mix to keep my a1c around 6/6.5.
Keep it up.

Good on both you guys. I’m also a Type 2 club member. I do a combo of diet, exercise, and meds. Tried doing two out of three but didn’t work very well for me and finally hit on the right mix to keep my a1c around 6/6.5.
Keep it up.
I plan on getting some exercise in once the knees start feeling better. Right now, the relief is there, but only slight when compared to the weight loss. I'm hoping that'll improve as the weight continues to go down. I want to stay as far away from diabetes as I can get.

Thanks, Chief!

At this point, I've not even been remotely tempted to stray from eating a more healthy diet. I've given up sugar (even most fruits), alcohol (let that sink in for a moment...moment of silence, please...), and all simple carbs. No bread, rice or pasta. I honestly thought giving up the bread would be a tough one for me, but screw it...no food is worth screwing around with diabetes. Thus far, the change in eating habits has been a breeze. I think the diagnosis scared the hell outta me, and I responded accordingly. As long as I remember what that felt like to hear those words "You're diabetic", I think I'll be good. That's the plan, anyways. :)

tenor.gif

• Haha