The good news thread

I plan on getting some exercise in once the knees start feeling better. Right now, the relief is there, but only slight when compared to the weight loss. I'm hoping that'll improve as the weight continues to go down. I want to stay as far away from diabetes as I can get.
It will as the weight loss continues. I was around 230/240 for the longest time. Knees always hurt and had three knee surgeries. Got back into cycling and started dropping pounds until I got hit by a car, which put everything back to square one by several years. I quit dropping weight but I didn’t gain, either. I healed up enough to start roller skating again. (Both my kids were Derby Girls)Pounds start dropping again.
I would suggest low speed/low geared cycling for your knees. A step through Raleigh 3 speed would be my first choice once the 18 tooth rear cog is swapped out for something like a 21 or 22 tooth. Just a couples miles at a time to start. First gear and second gear at a very easy pace. Get tired, take a break.
I am down to 175 now with almost no knee pain. What I do have occasionally is from arthritis and that happens rarely.

It will as the weight loss continues. I was around 230/240 for the longest time. Knees always hurt and had three knee surgeries. Got back into cycling and started dropping pounds until I got hit by a car, which put everything back to square one by several years. I quit dropping weight but I didn’t gain, either. I healed up enough to start roller skating again. (Both my kids were Derby Girls)Pounds start dropping again.
I would suggest low speed/low geared cycling for your knees. A step through Raleigh 3 speed would be my first choice once the 18 tooth rear cog is swapped out for something like a 21 or 22 tooth. Just a couples miles at a time to start. First gear and second gear at a very easy pace. Get tired, take a break.
I am down to 175 now with almost no knee pain. What I do have occasionally is from arthritis and that happens rarely.
I actually have a nice little Kona mountain bike that I plan on using for that very purpose. Used to ride it quite a bit until the weight got outta control. Guess I wasn't riding it enough, huh? ;) Time to get back on it. As far as the knees go, yeah, arthritis is the problem. I suffer from osteoarthritis, according to the doc. The weight just aggravates it.

So grandma and grandpa did their sworn duty of spoiling grandkids and then sending them home today. Spoiling consisted of buying them an electric SSR ATV. Owen is in pig heaven.
50216006466_7e4d3afd60_z.jpg

Not so much for Eli. The little ATV is for 3 to 8 year olds. Eli is seven but can look most ten year olds in the eye. So it’s a tight fit. But, I did promise Eli that he could try running the ZT when I was home. I do believe he is a natural at it.
50216006166_7f781eb290_z.jpg

And, Owen took a swing at the nads again today but I saw it coming and shifted, taking the blow in the hip. As I understand it, both Owen and Eli make a game out of surprise nut punches. He who crumples, loses.

I have a daughter as well, lots of accidentals but never on purpose.

My good news, the wife and I close on our house on Monday at noon. We will start moving all our stuff Monday afternoon and hope to have it done Tuesday. we are very minimalist people we don't have much as far as material things go so moving should be quick.

Owens‘ version of the Itsy Bitsy Spider song.

Oh, da izzy bizzy smider cwaled up da watersmout
Down came da wain an washed da smider out
Out came da sun and dwied up all da wain
An da izzy bizzy smider went up da watersmout again.

So, a soon to be four year old with the voice of a cat caught in vacuum cleaner sings this. Loudly. In the car. Owen also stutters. What’s good news about this is he doesn’t stutter when he sings. He also doesn’t stutter when he talks to himself while playing monster trucks. With his battle sword stuck down the back of his t-shirt.

One of Owens’ cousins is just a couple of months older and, like Owen, she is her own person. Lauren, Ren for short, calls Owen “her twin brother”. The two of them are inseparable when together. I don’t post much about Ren, or her older sister, because they live in Maine and visits aren’t happening this year. But, here is Ren from last Christmas, keeping it classy with a motorcycle helmet and a tutu.
49281417537_427d1b301e_z.jpg

Her older sister, Karis, or K for short, just turned twelve. Reads at a college level and is a STEM kid, which is short for ‘Scary Smart’. Emotionally, she’s still twelve. Her favorite TV character is Louise from Bobs’ Burgers. And she is a perfect sidecar monkey.
49281427542_4edfd29267_z.jpg

She’s my shadow.

Owen’s brother, Eli, keeps an eye on Owen. Where Owen can be a turd of a threenager, Eli is a good kid. And as he is a big kid and pretty close to getting his Tae Kwan Do black belt I don’t think many people will mess with him. I know I won’t. He took me down pretty quick last year. I kind of just stayed down so he wouldn’t hurt me.

Eli, doing his Shoalin monk imitation, his mom, and Bill Cho, his instructor, after earning new belts last year.
48932399022_099291f3d9_z.jpg

So, I have lots of extra material.

One of Owens’ cousins is just a couple of months older and, like Owen, she is her own person. Lauren, Ren for short, calls Owen “her twin brother”. The two of them are inseparable when together. I don’t post much about Ren, or her older sister, because they live in Maine and visits aren’t happening this year. But, here is Ren from last Christmas, keeping it classy with a motorcycle helmet and a tutu.
View attachment 184269

Her older sister, Karis, or K for short, just turned twelve. Reads at a college level and is a STEM kid, which is short for ‘Scary Smart’. Emotionally, she’s still twelve. Her favorite TV character is Louise from Bobs’ Burgers. And she is a perfect sidecar monkey.
View attachment 184270
She’s my shadow.

Owen’s brother, Eli, keeps an eye on Owen. Where Owen can be a turd of a threenager, Eli is a good kid. And as he is a big kid and pretty close to getting his Tae Kwan Do black belt I don’t think many people will mess with him. I know I won’t. He took me down pretty quick last year. I kind of just stayed down so he wouldn’t hurt me.

Eli, doing his Shoalin monk imitation, his mom, and Bill Cho, his instructor, after earning new belts last year.
View attachment 184271

So, I have lots of extra material.
I love the pride that shows through when you tell the stories about the kids. Makes the stories all the more endearing. Good on ya, my friend. (y)

If you think about it, if you had a book, or file, or even an old spiral notebook of all the stuff you either said or got into as a small child through your high school years, and condensed it down to the highlights, wouldn’t that be cool as hell right now?
Back in the day, what feels like at least one hundred years ago now yet actually in the late 60’s, my super cool hero guy was a wild man who jumped over cars, trucks and fountains with his motorcycle. I thought he was the coolest thing ever. I built ramps out of everything and tried my best to emulate him.
After a few years of practice, I literally drug a sheet of 3/4” plywood out of our garage and strategically placed it on the back of my neighbors VW Bug he had parked in front of his house. I told my mother to call the tv, and newspaper people to come watch me jump a car on my bicycle. She said ok, so I waited for them, and made sure my bike was ready, and clean. After about an hour I went back inside and asked her about their whereabouts, and she replied that she did call them, but she couldn’t guarantee that they would show up. So, after some thought, I rounded up kids in my neighborhood to come watch me, and to bring their cameras. I was confident I would make history that very day.
After yet another hour went by and still no reporters of any sort, I decided the hell with it, I’m going to go for it. I asked my mother to come outside to watch me, and alerted the remaining crowd of maybe ten people that I would launch in fifteen minutes, or as soon as my mother came out. As luck would have it, my mother came outside dragging my two younger brothers, both in diapers.
I proudly announced to everyone to not try this at home, and here I go. I rode my bike up the hill, turned around, then stopped. I planted my foot on the forward most pedal, and shoved off into my destiny. Those in the know understand how full sheets of plywood bow in the middle when rolling weight traverses it’s length. I was not in the know that day. When I felt the bowing action of the plywood I did realize that it was way too late for me to do anything about it, and I was about to be propelled into orbit.
One can only imagine the pitch in which my mother screamed, and the sheer awe in the eyes of all witnessing the feat unfold. I had to be at least fifteen feet off the ground at the top of my arc, and with a firm grip on my Tony the Tiger handgrips, I came down like the sack of potatoes that went up.
Purposely landing front wheel first to absorb some of the impact, it was like a slow motion newsreel of my hero, I slammed my nutsack into the gooseneck with more force than the best NFL punter could muster with his foot on his best day. I remember hearing a odd crunching noise at the time but I was too preoccupied with the landing at the time to properly diagnose what it was. No, it was not me or my groin region, it was however later determined to be the spokes of the front wheel as it assumed a downward “D” shape, and my handlebars rotating forward acting as another unforeseen impact reduction device.
I honestly don’t remember much of the landing except the smell of grass, up close, and the look on my mothers face when I opened my eyes. She was clearly mad at me for some reason, but I could also hear the roar of the crowd behind her. Turns out that noise was the neighbor that put the car there, and he was not a happy guy at all. Seems the plywood really scratched up the paint on his bosses car that he was in trusted care of for a week, while the boss had flown out of town and didn’t want to leave it at the airport for fear it might get door dinged or something.
All in all, it was a good day for me. I had easily cleared the car, setting a new neighborhood record that may still be standing today. My bike was trashed, I was grounded, and my dad had me mowing the neighbors yard for quite a while after that. I did sign a few autographs at school as a result, even though a teacher would normally have me erase it along with everything else on the chalkboard. Everybody knew i was that guy though, even if I had to remind them, and I was cool.

Last edited:
If you think about it, if you had a book, or file, or even an old spiral notebook of all the stuff you either said or got into as a small child through your high school years, and condensed it down to the highlights, wouldn’t that be cool as hell right now?
Back in the day, what feels like at least one hundred years ago now yet actually in the late 60’s, my super cool hero guy was a wild man who jumped over cars, trucks and fountains with his motorcycle. I thought he was the coolest thing ever. I built ramps out of everything and tried my best to emulate him. After a few years of practice, I literally drug a sheet of 3/4” plywood out of our garage and strategically placed it on the back of my neighbors VW Bug he had parked in front of his house. I told my mother to call the tv, and newspaper people to come watch me jump a car on my bicycle. She said ok, so I waited for them, and made sure my bike was ready, and clean. After about an hour I went back inside and asked her about their whereabouts, and she replied that she did call them, but she couldn’t guarantee that they would show up. So, after some thought, I rounded up kids in my neighborhood to come watch me, and to bring their cameras. I was confident I would make history that very day. After yet another hour went by and still no reporters of any sort, I decided the hell with it, I’m going to go for it. I asked my mother to come outside to watch me, and alerted the remaining crowd of maybe ten people that I would launch in fifteen minutes, or as soon as my mother came out. As luck would have it, my mother came outside dragging my two younger brothers, both in diapers. I proudly announced to everyone to not try this at home, and here I go. I rode my bike up the hill, turned around, then stopped. I planted my foot on the forward most pedal, and shoved off into my destiny. Those in the know understand how full sheets of plywood bow in the middle when rolling weight traverses it’s length. I was not in the know that day. When I felt the bowing action of the plywood I did realize that it was way too late for me to do anything about it, and I was about to be propelled into orbit. One can only imagine the pitch in which my mother screamed, and the sheer awe in the eyes of all witnessing the feat unfold. I had to be at least fifteen feet off the ground at the top of my arc, and with a firm grip on my Tony the Tiger handgrips, I came down like the sack of potatoes that went up. Purposely landing front wheel first to absorb some of the impact, it was like a slow motion newsreel of my hero, I slammed my nutsack into the gooseneck with more force than the best NFL punter could muster with his foot on his best day. I remember hearing a odd crunching noise at the time but I was too preoccupied with the landing at the time to properly diagnose what it was. No, it was not me or my groin region, it was however later determined to be the spokes of the front wheel as it assumed a downward “D” shape, and my handlebars rotating forward acting as another unforeseen impact reduction device. I honestly don’t remember much of the landing except the smell of grass, up close, and the look on my mothers face when I opened my eyes. She was clearly mad at me for some reason, by I could also hear the roar of the crowd behind her. Turns out it was the neighbor that owned the car, and he was not a happy guy at all. Seems the plywood really scratched up the paint on his bosses car that he was in trusted care of for a week, while the boss had flown out of town and didn’t want to leave it at the airport for fear it might get door dinged or something. All in all, it was a good day for me. I had easily cleared the car, setting a new neighborhood record that may still be standing today. My bike was trashed, I was grounded, and my dad had me mowing the neighbors yard for quite a while after that. I did sign a few autographs at school as a result, even though a teacher would normally have me erase it along with everything else on the chalkboard. Everybody knew i was that guy though, even if I had to remind them, and I was cool.
I hope they use paragraphs ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Fixer6
Owens’ fourth birthday was Thursday. I missed it as I was working on Pikes Peak, though I did have about a six second phone conversation with him.

Me-Happy Birthday, Owen.

Owen-Hi. Where are you? Bye.

So, that was it.

Here’s his first day.
29058814621_1354f9ecf3_z.jpg