The grass is greener, get the F out of your home state thread

Good for you man. I’ve moved....5 times in my life so I have zero experience compared to you. But I’m listening and selling/donating most of my things to make it easier.

Friend of mine just had a sister move from CA to Texas. Bought a 53’ shipping container and it cost her $6k total from buying to transport and crane work.

I’m seriously considering this route as I can fit my home and my Jeep in one container as have storage at the new property.
That's a great idea! And a good price. My quote from uhaul was $3900 for 4 cubes. Like you I am liquidating my belongings. 3 trips to Goodwill so far. The containers do make it an easier process. Nothing is more of an experience than a long distance Uhaul truck move. Last time I did a long distance truck move the car hauler with the Jeep on it blew a valve stem in the middle of New Mexico. Took half the day to get someone out to fix it. Still better was the time I was moving to Colorado pulling a 12' uhaul trailer and had the back wheel of my F150 sheer off. I though the trailer had come unhooked until I saw my wheel pass me and cross the median. Discovered that some tire monkey had over torqued the lug nuts and twisted the studs. Hopefully this move will be less eventful.
Best of luck on your move!

That's a great idea! And a good price. My quote from uhaul was $3900 for 4 cubes. Like you I am liquidating my belongings. 3 trips to Goodwill so far. The containers do make it an easier process. Nothing is more of an experience than a long distance Uhaul truck move. Last time I did a long distance truck move the car hauler with the Jeep on it blew a valve stem in the middle of New Mexico. Took half the day to get someone out to fix it. Still better was the time I was moving to Colorado pulling a 12' uhaul trailer and had the back wheel of my F150 sheer off. I though the trailer had come unhooked until I saw my wheel pass me and cross the median. Discovered that some tire monkey had over torqued the lug nuts and twisted the studs. Hopefully this move will be less eventful.
Best of luck on your move!

Wow, I hope your goes easy too!!!!

I've accepted a job offer in Wyoming. Just need to figure out the logistics. They are super friendly there and have offered to help find my wife a job and even walk rental properties for me. Also a plus is that they will wait for my oldest to finish out the school year at the beginning of June. My wife put her notice in today after 16 years with her agency. I put my notice in on Wednesday.

So I've heard lots of $$ quotes for moving. Our move would be about 1300 miles away. 4 bedroom house and a loaded garage. My wife keeps pissing me off and listing a bunch of my stuff out loud as items to sell or trash.

Movers (IE Allied, etc) would be 6k-10k
Conex purchase and haul would be 3k-5k (nowhere on my street to put one to load anyway)
Rent a big moving van would be 1.5k-2k (I don't have a class A so it can't be too big)
PODs or the like tend to be very convenient but super expensive. Haven't got a quote yet.

we loaded a 26ft Penske to the gills when we fled commiefornia for spokane
Moving OUT of commiefornia is three times more expensive than it would be to move to commiefornia

Reactions: ejay
From my research so far, cheapest and easiest is buying a conex. My SIL’s sister, just did that from Ca to east Texas. It was $6000 total, from purchase to cranes and transport.

I am 100% sure I can fit my whole 4/3 house in a 53’ and my TJ saving on the transport.

You might find it a PITA if you can’t fit one near your home but might be easy to hire movers to move your house to a place you can stick the Conex to load again.

Then sell or keep it depending what you buy/rent.

Our move is 2000 miles, feel your pain.

From my research so far, cheapest and easiest is buying a conex. My SIL’s sister, just did that from Ca to east Texas. It was $6000 total, from purchase to cranes and transport.

I am 100% sure I can fit my whole 4/3 house in a 53’ and my TJ saving on the transport.

You might find it a PITA if you can’t fit one near your home but might be easy to hire movers to move your house to a place you can stick the Conex to load again.

Then sell or keep it depending what you buy/rent.

Our move is 2000 miles, feel your pain.
I have a place near the in-laws I can put a seavan. Would be a bit of a pain to move stuff from our house to the conex, though. Plus, I'd have to find a place to do the opposite when I get to WY.

Reactions: Rick Flair
I have a place near the in-laws I can put a seavan. Would be a bit of a pain to move stuff from our house to the conex, though. Plus, I'd have to find a place to do the opposite when I get to WY.

Totally get it. I’m thinking of having mine dumped right in front of my house in a subdivision. Small town, figured they will be angry for the barely week it’s there. 😂

It was recommended to me over and over, rent Penske trucks if you go that route. Nicer and less chance of a breakdown.

• Haha
Reactions: Farmergreg and ejay
That 26' rental is nearly what having movers do all the work would cost. Going to see what PODs will cost next but I think that may be a few days before I get an answer.

Looking like this move is going to cost 15k plus all in. Fuck me that's an LJ!

• Sad
That 26' rental is nearly what having movers do all the work would cost. Going to see what PODs will cost next but I think that may be a few days before I get an answer.

Looking like this move is going to cost 15k plus all in. Fuck me that's an LJ!

Yep, the PODS were way to expensive for me. I was also warned the things are flimsy and if not packed right, will beat your stuff up.

I wasn’t happy to learn how expensive moving is either.

At least with the conex I have something to use or sell.

We are selling so much stuff. I was told unless you really love the item, it’s usually cheaper to replace it than move it. We don’t have much in family heirlooms for furniture so...kids rooms are getting gutted and our dining room set of being sold.

I've accepted a job offer in Wyoming. Just need to figure out the logistics. They are super friendly there and have offered to help find my wife a job and even walk rental properties for me. Also a plus is that they will wait for my oldest to finish out the school year at the beginning of June. My wife put her notice in today after 16 years with her agency. I put my notice in on Wednesday.

So I've heard lots of $$ quotes for moving. Our move would be about 1300 miles away. 4 bedroom house and a loaded garage. My wife keeps pissing me off and listing a bunch of my stuff out loud as items to sell or trash.

Movers (IE Allied, etc) would be 6k-10k
Conex purchase and haul would be 3k-5k (nowhere on my street to put one to load anyway)
Rent a big moving van would be 1.5k-2k (I don't have a class A so it can't be too big)
PODs or the like tend to be very convenient but super expensive. Haven't got a quote yet.
Congratulations!

Reactions: Rick Flair and ejay
We haven't move for 20 years. But the company I went to paid for a moving company. Everything from selling, buying, and moving sucked. Our house took months to sell. Our new house was finished the day we moved. I stayed in an apartment and drove 4 hours home every weekend for 6 weeks.

The only up side was ithe move being covered.

Good luck.

We're already simplifying. Selling stuff left and right on Facebook marketplace. Eventually, we'll give furniture pieces to the kids for apartments and not buy so much to replace it.

The goal is to get it down to a point the hearse can pull the U-haul. Basically, it's all crap in the end.

Last edited:
Allied Movers quoted me 12.5k to 14.5k. Fuck that. Off brand PODs were almost 7k. Might actually end up that route as I don't have room for a conex in my neighborhood (a 20' need level surface and 60' clearance to unload) and figuring out of I can find a property to unload in WY is a pain.

A buddy of mine just moved his dad out from Arizona to California (6000 sq ft house to 5500 sq ft house plus packing lots of glass artwork) via Allied Movers and it was 7k.

Lots of people are telling me that moving out of CA is more expensive than moving to CA. Companies are apparently taking advantage of the exodus.

• Sad
Allied Movers quoted me 12.5k to 14.5k. Fuck that. Off brand PODs were almost 7k. Might actually end up that route as I don't have room for a conex in my neighborhood (a 20' need level surface and 60' clearance to unload) and figuring out of I can find a property to unload in WY is a pain.

A buddy of mine just moved his dad out from Arizona to California (6000 sq ft house to 5500 sq ft house plus packing lots of glass artwork) via Allied Movers and it was 7k.

Lots of people are telling me that moving out of CA is more expensive than moving to CA. Companies are apparently taking advantage of the exodus.
Buy this, shove all seats to one end, fill it up. Drive to your new home, unload, reattach seats. Sell.

https://claz.org/bakersfield/commercial-vehicles/school-bus-30-6c4ext3o9t7.html

• Haha
Reactions: Rick Flair and RINC
I feel for Yall. $14 grand is nuts. I would consider a moving truck pack as much as I could and donate the rest ( couches,tvs,beds) with the tax credit for the donations and the thousands saved in moving buy all new stuff. But then again I dont know what the hell I am talking about😂

I don't think you need much to drive a school bus. I'm not sure they do background checks anymore to drive kids around. They seem more important than someone's stuff.

You may consider buying a truck and decent sized trailer or two and making two trips. Then sell them when done. Look over the list of stuff you have that they won't move. You may still need a trailer to haul it anyway.

I'd look in the state that's not CA for a POS diesel and trailer and drive it back. That way you won't have to register them in CA and can offload them easier in Wyoming.

We moved my parents with two 24ft long double axle car haulers and two diesel trucks. Those run 5-10k depending on condition and size here. Usually 6 to 8 ft by 6ft 6 inch by 16,18, 20, or 24 ft long.

We didn't pack them tight since they were only going 15 miles and we had two. You may only need one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition
I don't think you need much do drive a school bus. I'm not sure they do background checks anymore to drive kids around. They seem more important than someone's stuff.

You may consider buying a truck and decent sized trailer or two and making two trips. Then sell them when done. Look over the list of stuff you have that they won't move. You may still need a trailer to haul it anyway.

I'd look in the state that's not CA for a POS diesel and trailer and drive it back. That way you won't have to register them in CA and can offload them easier in Wyoming.

We moved my parents with two 24ft long double axle car haulers and two diesel trucks. Those run 5-10k depending on condition and size here. Usually 6 to 8 ft by 6ft 6 inch by 16,18, 20, or 24 ft long.
Yes, definitely switch your residence before registering a 1-ton diesel in CA. I hear it can be quite expensive nowadays.