The grass is greener, get the F out of your home state thread

well, the clock is ticking. After 5 years away, I'll be returning to Oklahoma residency on June 20th.

The left turn Colorado is continuing to take is problematic to my "live and let live" sensibilities, and yet strangely, the cause of that left turn (population influx from CA) has turned out to be a welcome benefit to me from a financial standpoint.

We closed on this house on March 16, 2020. 14 months later we are under contract for $190k more than we paid, and the sale price is enough that the properties we're looking at in OK are priced 30-50% less. For the first time in my life and probably 15 years before I expected, I'm looking at putting 20% down on a house and leaving more than a years take-home pay in the bank. From a climate and recreational opportunity standpoint, it's a major step down but the financial benefit takes out a lot of the sting.

Congratulations man. What a feeling!!!!

I know I’ll be 20 years ahead in my move. Haven’t been debt free since I was 18 years old. Gonna feel great!!

officially under contract with the new house. We splurged a little on the price range (only came down by 22% from what we sold this house for instead of the 30-50% I had targeted), so we're going to end up with about the same monthly payment, but a better equity and liquid cash position that we're probably going to immediately spend on a detached garage and a pool (might wait for lumber to come down before doing the garage).

I wouldn't have guessed it, but property taxes in OK are almost double what they are in CO, which sucks, because that's driving our monthly payment up despite our initial loan amount going down fairly significantly. Between property and state income, in 2022 I'm actually going to get hit by Trumps $10k state-and-local deduction limit that was criticized by the media for unfairly impacting democratic states, in what might be the most red state in the nation (only state where EVERY SINGLE COUNTY went for Trump in 2016 and 2020).

And we're ending up in a house that we'd never be able to touch in Colorado. Not only because it's in Oklahoma, but the seller is an empty nesting widower ~60 years old that's getting remarried and I'm guessing just wants out of it. We got a great deal 'cause it's got some upkeep issues piled up but nothing I can't take care of myself.

1620921667085.png

Last edited:
Just got done packing the U-Pack trailer. My body hurts. Sometimes I think it would have been worth the extra money to hire movers. Lots of friends helped, though. But kicking up all of that dust around the house has killed my lungs.

On a side note, the wife cried when she saw how much stuff was in the garage after it became clear that we would have to work some tetris magic in the semi trailer to get everything to fit. I could see the anger rise every time she saw a box with 'Jeep parts' or 'Ducati parts' written on it.

Been in NY since I was 12 (now 33). Always been sick of the weather, politics, and taxes of this glorified swamp land, but now getting REAL sick of the sanctimonious douchebags here.

No one sniffs their own farts harder than NY's Cuomosexuals that haven't travelled anywhere besides Atlantic City and/or Disney World but have real strong opinions on how every other state is somehow a lesser. I'm not even talking downstate people, I live in central NY. The part of NY with confederate flags on the houses of people that have never been further south than Scranton, PA.

My family moved to Amish country, PA, and my girlfriend's family is on the gulf coast of FL.

We're thinking eastern Tennessee if the job market can support us. About halfway between our families in PA, and those in FL.
TN is first choice, followed by FL, and then PA (if we had to). I'd move to Iowa or South Dakota also, but she's entirely over the cold.

She works for a hospital (not a nurse or doctor), and I do drafting/design in cryorefrigeration. It's sounding like she can work remotely forever, but my company is having a hard time with letting go like that.

Is there any hope of the eastern TN house marketing quieting down a bit in the near future?

Been in NY since I was 12 (now 33). Always been sick of the weather, politics, and taxes of this glorified swamp land, but now getting REAL sick of the sanctimonious douchebags here.

No one sniffs their own farts harder than NY's Cuomosexuals that haven't travelled anywhere besides Atlantic City and/or Disney World but have real strong opinions on how every other state is somehow a lesser. I'm not even talking downstate people, I live in central NY. The part of NY with confederate flags on the houses of people that have never been further south than Scranton, PA.

My family moved to Amish country, PA, and my girlfriend's family is on the gulf coast of FL.

We're thinking eastern Tennessee if the job market can support us. About halfway between our families in PA, and those in FL.
TN is first choice, followed by FL, and then PA (if we had to). I'd move to Iowa or South Dakota also, but she's entirely over the cold.

She works for a hospital (not a nurse or doctor), and I do drafting/design in cryorefrigeration. It's sounding like she can work remotely forever, but my company is having a hard time with letting go like that.

Is there any hope of the eastern TN house marketing quieting down a bit in the near future?
Has to be better then here in cuomosexualsphere.
I'm like not even ten miles from your location and the wife and i are life long area folks
we have been married 35yrs and 3 living togther first (hint to age LOL)
We can not leave fast enough. working on getting houses ready to sell and someplace warmer like what you are talking.. maybe

Come, buy a gun, don't vote like what screwed up NY. Vote less government at every turn so they don't have the power to mess stuff up.

Oh no worries. Cuomo has said my kind are not welcome in progressive NY.
I’ll stop at my parent’s in PA on my way south to get the rest of my inventory.

And NY was a shithole long before I could vote lol

Nice to see someone consider Iowa. Great place for kids, very good schools. But I agree with avoiding cold.

Oh no worries. Cuomo has said my kind are not welcome in progressive NY.
I’ll stop at my parent’s in PA on my way south to get the rest of my inventory.

And NY was a shithole long before I could vote lol
If you think upstate is bad, try living down state on Long Island...I too am thinking TN for retirement. We have a house in PA but not sure I would go there full time.

If you ever thought about a handgun, or most regular guns, TN will be way different. I was cleaning the other day and found a gun I forgot I bought. I buy broken guns cheap and fix them, then think I'm going to sell them but don't.

But the people moving don't realize the little things. They vote for more roads then complain about traffic, vote for more schools and the district spends it on football fields, layers of administration, and coffeshops for students, we need a taxpayer funded sports stadium, ...etc, etc.,etc.

Gentrifying quaint neighborhoods, tearing down history for a Starbucks and fancy restaurants.

It's not just the big items. The little stuff creeps up until it draws the hard-core liberals into the area because they are more comfortable. Then they change it all for everyone from their gentrified condos.

Nice to see someone consider Iowa. Great place for kids, very good schools. But I agree with avoiding cold.
You guys have Fleet Farm and Scheel's!! I love the midwest.
If you think upstate is bad, try living down state on Long Island...I too am thinking TN for retirement. We have a house in PA but not sure I would go there full time.
I feel for you being on Long Island. I am a fan of PA, though not sure if it is enough change for me to settle there. It used to be the "Texas of the northeast" in my eyes and many others, but it seems to be on a path of destruction thanks to voting habits of those moving in from NJ and NY. My parents have been living near Reading for 5-6 years now, and there's been a noticeable shift in that short time.
If you ever thought about a handgun, or most regular guns, TN will be way different. I was cleaning the other day and found a gun I forgot I bought. I buy broken guns cheap and fix them, then think I'm going to sell them but don't.

But the people moving don't realize the little things. They vote for more roads then complain about traffic, vote for more schools and the district spends it on football fields, layers of administration, and coffeshops for students, we need a taxpayer funded sports stadium, ...etc, etc.,etc.

Gentrifying quaint neighborhoods, tearing down history for a Starbucks and fancy restaurants.

It's not just the big items. The little stuff creeps up until it draws the hard-core liberals into the area because they are more comfortable. Then they change it all for everyone from their gentrified condos.
You would not believe the process people go through to get handguns in NY, and then to have some asshole county judge or sheriff put carry restrictions on your permit before it's issued to you. Mind you his authority ends at the county border, but your permit is good for the entire state, figure that one out. The penal law of the state doesn't even support these arbitrary administrative restrictions.

I love TN, nice people, automatic knives, and now constitutional carry. We've visited a few times and haven't had a bad experience. The only slight negative was deciding that Nashville just wasn't for us. We're not touristy people, or into the bar scene. But we got to cross it off our list.

Reactions: Rick Flair
You guys have Fleet Farm!! I love the midwest.

I am a fan of PA, though not sure if it is enough change for me to settle there. It used to be the "Texas of the northeast" in my eyes and many others, but it seems to be on a path of destruction thanks to voting habits of those moving in from NJ and NY.

You would not believe the process people go through to get handguns in NY, and then to have some asshole county judge or sheriff put carry restrictions on your permit before it's issued to you. Mind you his authority ends at the county border, but your permit is good for the entire state, figure that one out. The penal law of the state doesn't even support these arbitrary administrative restrictions.

I love TN, nice people, automatic knives, and now constitutional carry. We've visited a few times and haven't had a bad experience. The only slight negative was deciding that Nashville just wasn't for us. We're not touristy people, or into the bar scene. But we got to cross it off our list.
PA shut down worse than NY during Covid, they also have the highest gas taxes in the country....still the property taxes are 1/3 than NY and it is a newer and bigger house.

I'd move to Kansas or Missouri over Iowa. Similar people, better weather, lower taxes.

I'll likely move to either when I retire. I'm here because I was born and raised here and my family is here, but it's much cooler in the winters. I have a really good job so I put up with it for now. It's a good place to raise kids; who dominate your life anyway.

Come, buy a gun, don't vote like what screwed up NY. Vote less government at every turn so they don't have the power to mess stuff up.
our votes here never count NYC over rides us every time
not a single person around here i know of votes for cuomosexual ever
i have personally (wife too) never approved of the NYS political climate nor voted for it

PA shut down worse than NY during Covid, they also have the highest gas taxes in the country....still the property taxes are 1/3 than NY and it is a newer and bigger house.
This is true. Your current governor is a vindictive ass. And those gas taxes, good god. It used to be .20-.25 cents less a gallon if not more in PA than NY. Now the opposite. And I see proposals of tolling certain bridges to fund their repairs??

Property taxes for sure. I pay about $4k a year in town/county and school taxes for my $120k home. And for that I get absolutely nothing.

• Sad
Reactions: Rick Flair
This is true. Your current governor is a vindictive ass. And those gas taxes, good god. It used to be .20-.25 cents less a gallon if not more in PA than NY. Now the opposite. And I see proposals of tolling certain bridges to fund their repairs??

Property taxes for sure. I pay about $4k a year in town/county and school taxes for my $120k home. And for that I get absolutely nothing.
I have posted this before as many of you know...lol $15K/year for my 1965 built house here in NY and about $5200/year for my 2020 built house in PA

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: WSS and Rick Flair