The grass is greener, get the F out of your home state thread

Property taxes for sure. I pay about $4k a year in town/county and school taxes for my $120k home. And for that I get absolutely nothing.
I feel your pain there.
one home in your county and one in Cayuga cnty and pay just under $4.2K
each in school/county tax school always higher amount and have never used the schooling in the district ever. with nothing at all to come from the funds except the unions donating my money to dimwit democrapps

p.s.
should be in the piss and moan thread huh LOL

Just got done packing the U-Pack trailer. My body hurts. Sometimes I think it would have been worth the extra money to hire movers.

The last two moves I've done (we used a Uhaul) we've boxed everything up and then hired a few college kids thru a moving company who had the entire house emptied in about 2 hours. I think it was a few hundred bucks plus gratuity, but definitely money well spent. They even did a good job strapping things down in the truck.

The last two moves I've done (we used a Uhaul) we've boxed everything up and then hired a few college kids thru a moving company who had the entire house emptied in about 2 hours. I think it was a few hundred bucks plus gratuity, but definitely money well spent. They even did a good job strapping things down in the truck.
That's what we did when we landed in Spokane, we unloaded all the small stuff then called in the college kids to shuffle all the big stuff

I tell you, it's hard to find people that want to work. The place where we are moving, no moving company has availability. No day labor places has availability. I asked my boss to put the word out to the kids in town that want to make a few hundred bucks.

Reactions: Rick Flair
well...we're moved, kinda.

The house we were under contract on fell through because the inspection revealed disaster. Moisture intrusion, mold, structural, mechanical...my guess is north of $75k to fix. He had left it vacant for 5 years, and from the looks of it, didn't go in often enough to notice things like 2 leaking windows and a leaking water heater that didn't have a pan or a drain under it. At least the leaking shower pan probably wasn't leaking when he wasn't living there...

Anyway, we haven't found anything yet, so all of our stuff is in storage and we're staying in a friend's mom's second home that she only uses when she comes back to visit from Florida.

Synopsis of my week - packed from 8am Monday to 2am Tuesday, slept until 6am, and continued packing as the movers were loading. At around 4pm, the moving truck was fully loaded up and we still had stuff left. So we used the 6x12 U-Haul trailer we rented as a backup...and we still had stuff left. So we rented a Suburban from the Budget at the airport to the tune of $712, and got what we didn't want to toss. Rolled out at 9pm, drove about 3 hours and got a hotel in a small town. Got my first shower in about 3 days and the longest sleep in a week at about 6 hours, and got back on the road Wednesday morning. Got to our loaner house at 7:45pm, then had to unload the chest freezer at my parents house at 10pm so our 300-ish quarts (in cooler volume) of beef didn't thaw. Thursday, our unload day was the hottest day so far of 2021 at around 100F. Fortunately the 10x10 and 10x20 climate controlled storage units were big enough for everything, and I had a place to stand in the A/C.

I HATE moving.

Moving does suck. Two 12 hour driving days in my TJ. Dog threw up all over the back. With the A/C going and on some of the grades I was getting 6 MPG. Twas brutally hot earlier this week.

Moving trailer was running late and the company (one of three it changed hands with) told me to deal with it. Finally unloaded and the house is full of boxes.

Plus side is it took me all of ten minutes to get new plates for three cars. Not like the California DMV.

I'm in a townhouse and pay 7800.00 a year in property tax. My wife and I both want out of the townhouse, but she wants to make a lateral move. Sell the townhouse but buy a house in the same town. Then when the kids finish school look to move out of the state.
If I'm going to move, I want to do it once not twice.

The next dilema is figuring out where to go. My wife wants a warmer climate within close proximity to a shoreline (NC, SC)

I hate the heat and humidity. I prefer a milder climate in the summer months and can deal with a colder winter.
As long as I have mountains and woods where I can Hike, mountain bike and go trout fishing, I'm fine.

NJ is a fucktard state and everything has gotten so damn expensive. The goverment sucks here, unless you're a minority.
The school district next to us just voted to remove all holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July) from the calender and replace it with "day off." This is because a few non-American people found it offensive.
The current trend in our schools is to be "gay" and if your not..... you get bullied for not doing it. Go figure.

Pa was originally a consideration, but being that NYer's have moved their in droves, it has pushed the housing market up.
And it is quickly becoming a liberal state just like NJ, NY and the rest of the surrounding area.

The other thing keeping us tied to NJ right now is our parents. They are all getting older and starting to have health issues.
Neither one of us wants to leave them in case something happens.

So I guess for right now, I'm stuck in this state.

I'm in a townhouse and pay 7800.00 a year in property tax. My wife and I both want out of the townhouse, but she wants to make a lateral move. Sell the townhouse but buy a house in the same town. Then when the kids finish school look to move out of the state.

The next dilema is figuring out where to go. My wife wants a warmer climate within close proximity to a shoreline (NC, SC)

I hate the heat and humidity. I prefer a milder climate in the summer months and can deal with a colder winter.
As long as I have mountains and woods where I can Hike, mountain bike and go trout fishing, I'm fine.

NJ is a fucktard state and everything has gotten so damn expensive. The goverment sucks here, unless you're a minority.
The school district next to us just voted to remove all holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July) from the calender and replace it with "day off." This is because a few non-American people found it offensive.
The current trend in our schools is to be "gay" and if your not..... you get bullied for not doing it. Go figure.

Pa was originally a consideration, but being that NYer's have moved their in droves, it has pushed the housing market up.
And it is quickly becoming a liberal state just like NJ, NY and the rest of the surrounding area.

The other thing keeping us tied to NJ right now is our parents. They are all getting older and starting to have health issues.

Agreed, PA is definitely being ruined by NY and NJ assholes.

Let’s just say, Union County. If I wasn’t working in NYC and the like, I’d have moved to Ocean county years ago. Now it’s too late and I just need to escape the state all together.

What county you in @williambmac

Damn, I'm not sure what your property tax rate is, but the average town home here in California would be in the neighborhood of $3500-$4500 If you were to buy today. We have Proposition 13, which locks in your property tax rate when you buy it, subject to a 2% increase in value, and a 1% increase in property taxes on that. My wife inherited the house we live in, and the Prop 13 valuation along with it. Her folks bought the house brand new in 1959. Our property tax was $820 this year, up from about $600 21 years ago when we moved in.
The other neat thing is that, as seniors, we can take that Prop 13 valuation with us when we move after retirement. We're headed to Northern California.

Damn, I'm not sure what your property tax rate is, but the average town home here in California would be in the neighborhood of $3500-$4500 If you were to buy today. We have Proposition 13, which locks in your property tax rate when you buy it, subject to a 2% increase in value, and a 1% increase in property taxes on that. My wife inherited the house we live in, and the Prop 13 valuation along with it. Her folks bought the house brand new in 1959. Our property tax was $820 this year, up from about $600 21 years ago when we moved in.
The other neat thing is that, as seniors, we can take that Prop 13 valuation with us when we move after retirement. We're headed to Northern California.

Sounds like rent control in NYC. To mush government control.

Sounds like rent control in NYC. To mush government control.
Completely the opposite. It was a taxpayer group that got Prop 13 passed. Property values were rising so fast here, that the taxes were getting out of hand, especially for seniors and others on fixed incomes. With Prop 13, they don't get priced out of their homes by rising property taxes. Once the property is sold, it is reassessed and the taxes are adjusted to the market value of the property.