The mid-engine C8 Corvette is finally here

I want both a '69 Stingray and a '69 Camaro. Eventually.

My old '69 SS:

2013-11-28 14.42.33.jpg

That's a beauty! I want to get either blue or yellow. Thinking blue because I can't have too many yellow vehicles. Haha

I hear you! My next one will be yellow or red, as those are my two favorite colors for muscle cars.

I yearn for the sound of an American V8 with a cam and some headers. Nothing beats that sound.

Exactly. I like it. Every generation looked nothing like the previous. Corvettes have always made leaps from generation to generation. Some good, some better than others.
My first out of the nest residence was sharing an apartment with a roommate named Mike. We spent many a night cruising Main in his 63 split window. Looked not far removed from this one.

ette-stingray-split-window-in-ludington-michigan-1.jpg
I don't see that one more or less removed styling wise from the 95 as the latest is from either.

2017-01-20_22-28-09.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chapman4266
Why would anyone want features that allow themselves to control their vehicles better than they ever could without them? (Sarcasm) This "real racing" mantra you guys are pushing is hilarious. Amateur racers pull this shit all the time when they don't win racing and complain it's because they like to "drive like a real man."
It isn't just racing, recreational Jeepers do the "I have to have a manual to make the trails more challenging" bullshit all the time. Yeah, well, come see me. I'll give you a little guided tour that will fix that right up. Bring your rig.

My first out of the nest was sharing an apartment with a roommate named Mike. We spent many a night cruising Main in his 63 split window. Looked not far removed from this one.

I don't see that one more or less removed styling wise from the 95 as the latest is from either.

Those C4s don't look half bad these days.

How did you come to Jeeps from that!

Interests change like Blaine said. I still have a big soft spot for muscle cars though. One day I'll have another, but this time around I'll spend a lot of money upfront and buy one that was built correctly.

That one looked good from the outside, but the body had tons of rust issues hiding under that paint job, as well as other issues you wouldn't notice unless you were very anal. Bottom line is that it needed a full frame-off-restoration, new full quarter panels, etc. It would have cost me at least 40k to have it done to the level that I wanted it done.

These days I could have afforded it, but back then I couldn't have, hence I sold it.

Reactions: psrivats
Buy a tractor then.
Actually, most tractors have a hydrostatic transmission, with 2 pedals, and a couple ranges that you do not shift. Manuals are very hard to find until you get into the bigger ones, and even then you don't upshift them like a car.

I honestly know nothing about tractors. My idea was that it's electrical systems and the driver engagement would be higher.

I've owned a number of cars with DCTs and the F1 style paddle shifting.

Everyone knocks it until they drive it. Drive one of those things on a track or a wide open back road and I promise you'll have the biggest fucking grin on your face when you see how lighting fast it shifts.

The downside of course is that when they break they are expensive as hell (ask me how I know) to fix.

I also found that at times I still craved a manual transmission. Yes, it's still a bit slower shifting since you can't shift as fast as the computer can, but it does provide that "connected" feel, which is something special IMHO.

Still, I can guarantee you that C8 Corvette will absolutely rock your world if you get to drive it, and I can also guarantee that anyone who is hesitant about the transmission will quickly reverse their thoughts on that once they drive it.

Given the choice between that C8 Vette and the Dodge Challenger Hellcat, there is no doubt that C8 Vette is the better "all around" vehicle.

C8 is a good looking vehicle apparently it's for RHD production so we may see it downunder.

I've never been a fan of flappy paddle gearboxes until I went on a Porsche drive day through some backcountry roads in some PDK equipped Caymans. It was an awesome experience and shocked me at just how far these things had come. Want to potter down some country lanes in auto, sure. Decide to attack some bends in the road, sure just drop it down via the flappy paddles and drive manually. Decide to go back to cruise mode, stop using the paddles and it'll go into auto mode. I found it was a more involving drive over a manual as you could concentrate on braking and apexing then getting out of the corner without any clutch, gearstick action. Impressive.

Conversely, have driven both auto and manual current model Mustangs. Auto isn't great, manual everytime.

I'll purchase a 2 seater sports car of some description, at some point. In Australia, used Mustangs have had massive depreciation and really are bargains, like the TJ there's a wealth of stuff available for them. Throw on a Supercharger and you have serious performance for little cost. Used 981 Boxster is similar cash, used Caymans cost a bit more and whilst a lot slower, offer superb chassis dynamics with the flat six sound. Camaro is really exxy here, not a lot selling.

I've done the Lotus thing, and you can't fault them except for comfort. I must be getting old though and a little comfort is winning over ultimate performance everytime.

Reactions: L J and Chris
Reactions: Chris