Florida The move to Florida is on!

I went out side while in the eye and the sun came out.

That's a weird thing to experience. I rode out Bertha in the '90s and had the eye pass over us. That was some of the clearest blue sky and calm conditions for an hour or two. Of course, the yard was ankle deep from the rain and trees/limbs were down everywhere, and when the back wall approached you knew it.

For us locals anything cat 1 and under is a big yawn lol
Pretty much. The "media" blows it all out of proportion, and it gives the politicians something to yammer about. I remember the local news "on location" on the beach about 5 miles away from me blathering on about how bad it was when it OBVIOUSLY wasn't. Its an unfortunate state of affairs, as nobody pays any attention to them whatsoever, but watch the NHC website closely - haven't they ever heard of the little boy who cried "Wolf!"?

Pretty much. The "media" blows it all out of proportion, and it gives the politicians something to yammer about. I remember the local news "on location" on the beach about 5 miles away from me blathering on about how bad it was when it OBVIOUSLY wasn't. Its an unfortunate state of affairs, as nobody pays any attention to them whatsoever, but watch the NHC website closely - haven't they ever heard of the little boy who cried "Wolf!"?
Lol yeah

That's a weird thing to experience. I rode out Bertha in the '90s and had the eye pass over us. That was some of the clearest blue sky and calm conditions for an hour or two. Of course, the yard was ankle deep from the rain and trees/limbs were down everywhere, and when the back wall approached you knew it.

Yeah and with Wima the eye was huge so people really thought it was all over. I went out because I wanted to move my vehicles around preparing for the shift and wind direction from the second half. Here is a pic of Wilma. I live in Palm Beach County. Basically just east south east of the lake

Screenshot_20220928_122052.jpg

Reactions: BlueC
I did consider buying a generator/inverter but to do that right I'm going to need an electrician to wire the auto-transfer switch so it meets code. We might lose power, we have once a month or two ago, but we have a lot of flash lights lol. We're hunkered down but we're not expecting it to be nearly as bad as south Florida is/will be seeing. I hope it's not too bad for them!!!

just a FYI Jerry, they make these things called extension chords you can run from a generator to important things like fridge and freezer and you can even run another to power a few lights and t.v or other things and you don't have to wire it into the house !!!! :):):)

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Hoping it drops to cat 1 by the time it gets to me.

We are just east of orlando (right next door to ucf) and they are projecting it to be a tropical storm when it gets to us but they are still predicting 70+ mph winds through my area through the night and into tomorrow morning.

I did consider buying a generator/inverter but to do that right I'm going to need an electrician to wire the auto-transfer switch so it meets code. We might lose power, we have once a month or two ago, but we have a lot of flash lights lol. We're hunkered down but we're not expecting it to be nearly as bad as south Florida is/will be seeing. I hope it's not too bad for them!!!

Those expensive generac home generators are great specially if you get city gas which it never really is affected. I have never had that myself but what I have done in the past is connected my generator to my welding 220 outlet or Dryer Oultet. Turned off the house main breaker along with AC and large appliances that way I was able to use ceiling fans light and keep fridge going. That is the cheap and easy way to do it. My generator is from Costco a Firman that runs on gasoline and gas.

What’s the impact so far in west Palm?

So far today it has been good. Not much going on but we have been getting rain and wind for the last 2 days. Last night was the worst a tornado hit north Broward and Delray and caused damage. Rain stopped this morning but we are all flooded. My 1.25 acre property is about halfway flooded all around lol house is good.

Those expensive generac home generators are great specially if you get city gas which it never really is affected. I have never had that myself but what I have done in the past is connected my generator to my welding 220 outlet or Dryer Oultet. Turned off the house main breaker along with AC and large appliances that way I was able to use ceiling fans light and keep fridge going. That is the cheap and easy way to do it. My generator is from Costco a Firman that runs on gasoline and gas.
How is your Firman? I was considering a Duramax 13,000 watt but I discovered too many bad reviews on it.

Firman has been good to me. I have had it for only 3 years now.
What wattage sustained wattage, not peak, can it put out? I'm looking at 12k-13k watts so I can run my A/C too. I won't be able to run everything but I don't care so long as we can run the A/C and have a couple lights on with our TV.

i've got 2 honda EU 2000 that link together I use for the camper and a champion 6500 i use for 1 house and we have a 12k watt at the other house. I put 50amp twist lock outlet on the outside of the house and make a short chord to connect it. throw the main breaker and have the important breakers colored to leave on and flip the others off. but if it's just a quick outage (a few hours) i just run a extension chord into the house !

So far today it has been good. Not much going on but we have been getting rain and wind for the last 2 days. Last night was the worst a tornado hit north Broward and Delray and caused damage. Rain stopped this morning but we are all flooded. My 1.25 acre property is about halfway flooded all around lol house is good.

The tornadoes are what I’m currently worried about for the next 12 or so hours as we will stay on the right side of the storm until the eye is projected to pass right over top of us tomorrow morning at some point.

Jerry, be vigilant of tornados because they will spawn up fast on the east side of the storm. It seems that people aren’t aware of this until a storm hits.

What wattage sustained wattage, not peak, can it put out? I'm looking at 12k-13k watts so I can run my A/C too. I won't be able to run everything but I don't care so long as we can run the A/C and have a couple lights on with our TV.

7500 watts running. I don't need to run my AC. Lived through the 2004/2005 hurricanes Francis, Jeane and Wilma. Francis was a hot 3 weeks with no power. It was the first major destruction for Palm Beach County. The grid was not ready. It was early September so very hot. Jeanne was later in September and gave up a nice cold front after she left. That was 1 week of no power but weather was nice.

Hurricane Hugo in ‘89 was my first experience with one. I live maybe 100 miles from the coast and thought what’s the big deal. That was a big mistake, it destroyed our area. Ever since then I keep an eye on all of them and prep accordingly. Not to the level costal folks do, but ready for our area.

Last edited:
The 20 year old Generac Powerhouse 220V 6K/9K has worked very well for me since its purchase in '02 ($325).
IF you want quality and dependability; Generac is the way to go...
I installed a welders outlet in the garage with a 45A 220V breaker, the generator has a length of 6ga 3 wire SO cord (rubber armor coated) where I can plug in the generator and run it outside the garage.
The generator will run the A/C in an emergency, but generally it is for lights, ceiling fans, appliances, and ham radio gear.
My ham radio gear has a battery/solar back up just in case....

Reactions: Apparition