The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

On the NTK website instead of your first one of NTK23158 they list NTK23018.

Strange because the factory parts list has the same part for two of the sensors but the NTK website lists 4 different parts.

1629042436099.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 11.45.31 AM.png

Are the upstream sensors interchangeable? Was is the difference between 23159 and 23160 other than cable length?
What are Bank 1, Bank 2, etc.?
Since this question pops up from time-to-time, here's an easy to follow diagram that illustrates what they mean when your OBDII code scanner (or manual) tells you something like "O2 sensor, Bank 1, Sensor 2":

View attachment 12208

What does upstream and downstream mean?
Simple, upstream means the O2 sensor is "upstream" of the catalytic convertors, meaning before the catalytic convertors. Downstream means the O2 sensor is "downstream" of the catalytic convertors, meaning after the catalytic convertors.

What brand of O2 sensors should I use for replacements?
Pay close attention to this one so you can do it once and do it right! The Jeep Wrangler TJ is extremely sensitive to all oxygen sensors other than NGK / NTK. Bosch O2 sensors and all the others (including the crappy Chinese brands you'll buy at your local auto part store) are very well documented as not working properly with our TJs. In other words, you plug them in and you assume all is well, until you notice your check engine light isn't going away. This is almost always due to the fact that you didn't use an NGK / NTK replacement O2 sensor.

Okay, so why don't other sensors (i.e. Bosch) work on our Jeeps?
Glad you asked! Check out this video for a detailed explanation of why other brands of O2 sensors don't work on our TJs:

So which O2 sensors do I need?
I'm going to break down which sensors you need based off what year your TJ is. The part numbers (and information) below were taken directly from the NGK website, so you can assure it is 100% accurate (even double checked each individual year and model before writing this thread).

4 Cylinder Engines
1997-2000
NGK #23506 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23151 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream) (1998 ONLY)​
NGK #23099 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
2001-2004
NGK #23138 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23141 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
2005-2006
NGK #23159 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23159 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
6 Cylinder Engines
1997-1999
NGK #23151 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23122 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23506 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23099 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
2001-2003
NGK #23139 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23138 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23142 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NGK #23141 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NGK #23137 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23135 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23132 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NGK #23531 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
2005-2006
NGK #23018 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23160 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23158 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
Misc Installation Notes
When installing new O2 sensors, be certain to use some anti-seize on the threads of the new O2 sensors! This is important, and will save you a huge headache should you ever need to remove them in the future.

In addition, a O2 sensor socket will greatly aide in the installation and removal of O2 sensors. I recommend this one.
What's the difference between 23159 and 23160 other than cable length?

I've got a bank 2 sensor 2 that's been throwing a code and have determined there's a short in the wiring coming off the sensor. Replaced sensor, code returned, exchanged for a new sensor, code returned, traced/ checked wiring and confirmed it's the culprit.

If I'm understanding all I've read here, this is a downstream sensor, and while it'll need to be addressed to pass emissions, it should be OK to drive as is until I can get around to fixing.

Is this correct or are are there other potential problems that could be caused if not fixed right away?

I've got a bank 2 sensor 2 that's been throwing a code and have determined there's a short in the wiring coming off the sensor. Replaced sensor, code returned, exchanged for a new sensor, code returned, traced/ checked wiring and confirmed it's the culprit.

If I'm understanding all I've read here, this is a downstream sensor, and while it'll need to be addressed to pass emissions, it should be OK to drive as is until I can get around to fixing.

Is this correct or are are there other potential problems that could be caused if not fixed right away?

It's my understanding that the O2 sensors' readings effect the fuel mixture and how the engine runs. I'm not sure how bad it is for the engine in the short term though.

It's my understanding that the O2 sensors' readings effect the fuel mixture and how the engine runs. I'm not sure how bad it is for the engine in the short term though.
I know the upstream sensors help manage air/ fuel mixture. Wondering if there's no output or faulty readings from the downstream sensors if that tells the engine to change anything based on the incorrect feedback that the cats aren't functioning properly?

Bank 2 sensor 2 is only there to indicate how well the cat is doing. It does not affect fuel injector function.

The same can be said for bank 1 sensor 2

Reactions: HardSell and DaveC
I replaced the upstream O2 sensor in the Jeep today. It seems to start up and run a little better than with the old one. The part of the sensor that goes into the tube looks different and smaller than the old one. I couldn’t find a manufacturers name on the old one. The new one is a NTK.

Reactions: reddvltj
What are Bank 1, Bank 2, etc.?
Since this question pops up from time-to-time, here's an easy to follow diagram that illustrates what they mean when your OBDII code scanner (or manual) tells you something like "O2 sensor, Bank 1, Sensor 2":

View attachment 12208

What does upstream and downstream mean?
Simple, upstream means the O2 sensor is "upstream" of the catalytic convertors, meaning before the catalytic convertors. Downstream means the O2 sensor is "downstream" of the catalytic convertors, meaning after the catalytic convertors.

What brand of O2 sensors should I use for replacements?
Pay close attention to this one so you can do it once and do it right! The Jeep Wrangler TJ is extremely sensitive to all oxygen sensors other than NGK / NTK. Bosch O2 sensors and all the others (including the crappy Chinese brands you'll buy at your local auto part store) are very well documented as not working properly with our TJs. In other words, you plug them in and you assume all is well, until you notice your check engine light isn't going away. This is almost always due to the fact that you didn't use an NGK / NTK replacement O2 sensor.

Okay, so why don't other sensors (i.e. Bosch) work on our Jeeps?
Glad you asked! Check out this video for a detailed explanation of why other brands of O2 sensors don't work on our TJs:

So which O2 sensors do I need?
I'm going to break down which sensors you need based off what year your TJ is. The part numbers (and information) below were taken directly from the NGK website, so you can assure it is 100% accurate (even double checked each individual year and model before writing this thread).

4 Cylinder Engines
1997-2000
NGK #23506 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23151 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream) (1998 ONLY)​
2001-2004
NGK #23138 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23141 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
2005-2006
NGK #23159 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
6 Cylinder Engines
1997-1999
NGK #23151 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23122 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23506 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23099 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
2001-2003
NGK #23139 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23138 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23142 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NGK #23141 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NGK #23137 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23135 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23132 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NGK #23531 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
2005-2006
NGK #23018 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23160 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23158 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
Misc Installation Notes
When installing new O2 sensors, be certain to use some anti-seize on the threads of the new O2 sensors! This is important, and will save you a huge headache should you ever need to remove them in the future.

In addition, a O2 sensor socket will greatly aide in the installation and removal of O2 sensors. I recommend this one.
What a super helpful thread.

@Chris, could you say a little more about NTK vs NGK? I see you linked NGK, but you mention both, and NTK looks cheaper on some sites.

Edit: Oh, here it is!

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/ngk-or-ntk-o2-sensors.37861/

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and reddvltj
I've got a '97 2.5L. I can only find the upstream sensor that's in the engine bay (by the firewall just south of where the manifold meets the exhaust pipe). Where is my downstream sensor located?? I'm getting a P0138 code. I followed the exhaust pipe around the engine bay, but can't find this second O2 sensor. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've got a '97 2.5L. I can only find the upstream sensor that's in the engine bay (by the firewall just south of where the manifold meets the exhaust pipe). Where is my downstream sensor located?? I'm getting a P0138 code. I followed the exhaust pipe around the engine bay, but can't find this second O2 sensor. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
it should be just after the catalytic converter usually above the skid plate

it should be just after the catalytic converter usually above the skid plate
Ok, thanks. Could this be the remnant of the old O2 sensor? It's behind the cat up above the skidplate...but I can't see much of it. Don't even see a wire harness for it anywhere.

image_67141633.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: reddvltj
Ok, thanks. Could this be the remnant of the old O2 sensor? It's behind the cat up above the skidplate...but I can't see much of it. Don't even see a wire harness for it anywhere.

I'm looking to do this soon on my 97 2.5L. Let me know how it goes and if you learn any lessons worth sharing before I try.