The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

How many O2 sensors does the 97 2.5l have. I need to replace them.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Read the first post of this thread. It has the links and part numbers for the correct sensors for both.

Your 98 has only 2 O2 sensors, whereas the later models have 4.

The only two O2 sensors you have are as follows:

NGK #23151 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)
NGK #23099 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)

I updated the original post to reflect this, as it was merely a typo on my part (though the part numbers were correct).

I'd replace both at the same time, it's the smart thing to do.
So I found out that all my O2 sensors are NTK/NGK except for one, bank 1 sensor 2. Would it cause other sensors to fail or throw a Dtc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I found out that all my O2 sensors are NTK/NGK except for one, bank 1 sensor 2. Would it cause other sensors to fail or throw a Dtc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, that would just cause a code for that specific sensor most likely.

Well the code my poor oxygen was throwing after I balled it and pulled half of it out wires and all, screamed” take me to a muffler shop.” 40 bucks later, no CEL. I think the guy was a saint. I put enough Deep Creep and candle wax on that nut to loosen my wife from her KOHLS cash. Only 3 more ox sensors to go. My self preservation is telling me to wait for the CEL to come back on. Take away lesson I’ve learned is never use the sensor socket to try to break free the old sensor. It’s too easy to ball the nut because the sensor socket is slotted for the wire on the sensor. Instead, clip the pigtail, use a deep socket that is completely boxed. Sensor sockets are great, but they work best for installing the new sensor. And most important, make sure to thread anti seize compound so it doesn’t rust to the bunt!

All replaced and no more error codes! Hopefully my mileage improves.

*To anyone looking to replace their O2 sensors* I'd reccomend a breaker bar, penetrating lube, and some kind of torch (all I had was a small propane torch). It took me just over 2 hours to do all mine and the breaker bar (or pipe slid over a ratchet) was needed a few times. I also bought the O2 sensor socket for $10 and it was totally worth it. Total investment was about $250 for all 4 sensors plus the socket.
Hello Ken 97, did your mileage improve after replacing O2 sensors...?

Envoyé de mon MHA-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: TJ_Jake
If another member has replaced the O2 sensors, thank you for sharing his experience by telling us what has changed after this installation and especially if it really affected his milage...

Envoyé de mon MHA-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Hi, and thanks for accepting my membership on this forum. I am new here, and have been reading the thread, and there is a lot of good info here. Wish I would have found it earlier. I do have a question. I replaced all four of the O2 sensors when I replaced my oil pan and rear seal just a few months ago. I used the OEM sensors. I am getting a code on 1/2 sensor, think it says heater not ready or something, I haven't written down the code. now that I know this is here I will write it down to have the exact code. I am wondering if it might be because the CAT may be getting plugged. Oh by the way, mine is an '04 LJ 4.0, 73025 miles.

My jeep threw another code today, it is P0141, 1/2 O2 sensor heater performance. It usually comes on, a few mins. after it is started.

Replace the Bank 1, Sensor 2 O2 sensor with a NGK replacement and you should be good to go!

When I replaced them a couple months ago, I used the NGK ones, should they go bad that quick?

Oh, I must have missed that part. It shouldn't go bad that quick.

The only other thing I can think of would be a short in the wiring or a bad ground. I'd visually inspect the wiring harness to see if you notice anything. I'd also try clearing the code and seeing if it goes away, or comes back.

Oh, I must have missed that part. It shouldn't go bad that quick.

The only other thing I can think of would be a short in the wiring or a bad ground. I'd visually inspect the wiring harness to see if you notice anything. I'd also try clearing the code and seeing if it goes away, or comes back.
I'll inspect the wiring, I have cleared the code many times, and it is clear for a while then after a while it comes back. It comes on after a few mins of starting the motor. By the time I back out of the garage, and head down the alley it comes on.

I got a code for my lower rear O2 heater after my motor mount, body lift, and valve cover gasket and all new NTK sensors.
Couldn't find anything wrong with it such as a bad ground or broken connector.
So I drove it. Took it to the ORV park by us and dammed if the CEL light went off and hasn't come back.

Conclusion: I think you can drive yourself nuts with bullshit computer / electronic problems!

Reactions: Chris
I got a code for my lower rear O2 heater after my motor mount, body lift, and valve cover gasket and all new NTK sensors.
Couldn't find anything wrong with it such as a bad ground or broken connector.
So I drove it. Took it to the ORV park by us and dammed if the CEL light went off and hasn't come back.

Conclusion: I think you can drive yourself nuts with bullshit computer / electronic problems!
I agree, it still drives fine, but what happened to the old days when you could work on vehicles?

Reactions: Farmergreg
I agree, it still drives fine, but what happened to the old days when you could work on vehicles?

If you think this is bad, the new JLs are 20 times worse. Hell, even the steering on them is controlled by the computer.