The Pickle / Jurassic Pickle, Nostalgia Build With My Kids

Did some tinkering on the bumpers and went out for a driving lesson. We “had” to see what it will do.

IMG_1698.jpeg

Reactions: bbaldwin237
On the rear bumper today we loosened it up and centered it and got both bottom bolts in. We still need to work on getting the crane tie ins done after looking at it today I think we will try and sneak a couple bolts in through the bottom bigger hole instead of drilling through the frame. The bolts would sit against the gas tank on the driver side and I don’t like that at all. The new bottom bolts are grade 8 flange head. No need for washers that way.

IMG_1702.jpeg

IMG_1703.jpeg

That hose (rear axle breather tube) sticking out the bottom should be zip tied up behind the bezel for your gas cap.

I used some fishing line tied to the upper bolt to pull it through the bottom opening in the frame. The bottom bolt wasn’t to hard to get installed, but a magnet made it very easy. A boxed end wrench fit up through the oval hole in the bottom easily to hold the bolt heads.

IMG_7797.jpeg

IMG_7798.jpeg

IMG_7799.jpeg

IMG_7800.jpeg

That hose (rear axle breather tube) sticking out the bottom should be zip tied up behind the bezel for your gas cap.

I used some fishing line tied to the upper bolt to pull it through the bottom opening in the frame. The bottom bolt wasn’t to hard to get installed, but a magnet made it very easy. A boxed end wrench fit up through the oval hole in the bottom easily to hold the bolt heads.

View attachment 481416

View attachment 481417

View attachment 481418

View attachment 481419

Excellent advice here! We will give all of this a shot. I really didn’t like the drill through frame option.

I knew that vent should go elsewhere but I couldn’t remember where. Thank you.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Jeep had what appeared to be a dent from getting hit with a Carrie Underwood style bat strike and we wanted to try and work it out. Spent a little time with a clamp and block of wood pulling it forward. Not too smooth yet but we did make some progress.

647529B8-4919-4CC6-BA11-C664E0C19954.jpeg

So is this a new hinge kind of thing or adjust the tailgate kind of thing? Either way the bolts are stuck and not moving so I can’t adjust or replace at this point. It doesn’t seem to have slack in the hinges when I pick up on it.

IMG_1666.jpeg

Big moves today! Got rid of the flaking old worn out steering wheel cover. Paid the extra $1 for the officially licensed Jeep steering wheel cover. I used electrical tape to rebuild the foam lost over the years to feel right under the cover.

IMG_1717.jpeg

IMG_1718.jpeg

In other news I cut off the old tow bar tabs that prevent the new one from folding up. Will be adding a new tab to secure the tow in the position with a pin.

IMG_1716.jpeg

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Great story and project. Long lasting memories building a project with your kids. All of my kids have helped at some point on my rig, and one son built a very nice XJ, including welding up custom front and rear bumpers, rock rails, and a swing out tire carrier.

I’m enjoying following along. And, I think the 4-door is cool too…

By the way, if your son receives a text that says “Tonz and Fodeez,” it was not me…

😀

Great story and project. Long lasting memories building a project with your kids. All of my kids have helped at some point on my rig, and one son built a very nice XJ, including welding up custom front and rear bumpers, rock rails, and a swing out tire carrier.

I’m enjoying following along. And, I think the 4-door is cool too…

By the way, if your son receives a text that says “Tonz and Fodeez,” it was not me…

😀

My kids don’t have phones, but he might follow this thread hahahaha.

I’d hoped my first road trip would be for something fun with at least 1 kid or 2 on an adventure, but I couldn’t pass up a chance to put some miles on the pickle when the opportunity arose. 300 mile round trip down to our companies other location to check on a warehouse update and organization project that should be about complete today. As all good road trips it started before the sun was up. I’m now 70 miles in and uneventful so far. Best sub $5k vehicle I’ve ever owned. New headlights are coming in soon, these aren’t terrible but I find the older I get the worse my night vision is.

IMG_1727.jpeg

IMG_1728.jpeg

Finished out the trip right at 5pm, 290 miles, zero issues. Really need to get the sway bar fixed and reinstalled and I’m thinking all new drag link and tie rod ends, as well as new track bar. Probably all stock replacement parts accept the track bar. Not going to pass up moving to and adjustable track bar. It’s got just enough slop to wonder around in the wind. Totally drivable but being this will be a teens car in the future I want it driving really well.

Finished out the trip right at 5pm, 290 miles, zero issues. Really need to get the sway bar fixed and reinstalled and I’m thinking all new drag link and tie rod ends, as well as new track bar. Probably all stock replacement parts accept the track bar. Not going to pass up moving to and adjustable track bar. It’s got just enough slop to wonder around in the wind. Totally drivable but being this will be a teens car in the future I want it driving really well.

Do the zj tie rod parts. It should be similarly priced.and please don't say rough country!

Reactions: FarFire70
Do the zj tie rod parts. It should be similarly priced.and please don't say rough country!

No rough country suspension parts. I’m pretty happy with with fender flares from them but definitely no RC suspension parts.

Reactions: Rickyd
New Headlights are in, another task I assigned the 14yo. I’ll give him a few days to make an effort at it. He’s going to work with me next 2 days so he will be busy.

IMG_1769.jpeg