The post-build thread

This is full articulation, tire turned to its closest point to the rear of the fender, bump stops are the same except without the 1" thick puck under the lower, bumps just touch at 3/4" of shaft showing, Currie 4" springs front and rear, 11" travel Fox RR with 5.75" of up travel. (pardon the film card being a little bitch)View attachment 206905View attachment 206906View attachment 206907

@jjvw
I'm so close... the tires rub the back wall of the fender just barely. the 3/4" is the same. Im at 5.5 inches of uptravel at loaded ride height. If I come forward on the axle at all my upper track bar joint will clip the truss on the mid arm and the bumps will only barely touch... maybe i should trim the truss just a bit. At any rate, it's kindof like a bad fade (haircut) if you keep trying to correct your mistakes you wind up with a high and tight and your libo briefs last all weekend. I'm satisfied from tonight's changes and Im going to finish weld tomorrow. Then it's gussets into the bucket, reservoir mounts, and paint. Thanks for the input MrBlaine. As always I appreciate all the help you've given me along the way.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
well it's done. sort of. I definitely need to rework the reservoir mounts. I used some aluminum scrap I had and random hardware from the bin i keep under the work bench. they work but i think they look like shit. I also am not a fan of how tight the radius is in the bend on the line.

the shocks are about 1* off from each other as far as the lean goes, not too too upset about that.

I must have fucked up my last adjustment on the towers because in height I am 1/4 inch off on shock shaft showing. either that or when i loaded the jeep out the weight wasn't even. driver side has an additional 1/4" of uptravel with the jeep empty. maybe when I get in it will sit level who knows. So I'm at 5.5 on driver and 5.25 on passenger unloaded. wanted 5.5 on both.

when i finished the rear outboard I was ecstatic. Now that i've finished the front I'm pretty pissed off. Im not happy with it.

rides great and most folks wouldn't notice the difference from side to side, most folks wouldn't notice the other slight asymmetries but i know it's there and I'm fairly disappointed.

I'm considering contacting Poly and ordering another upper tower if they'll let me. It can wait for now but over time I suspect I'll either quit worrying about it after a trip or two or go back and rework it when it still bothers me 2 years from now.

IMG_20201201_203330438.jpg
IMG_20201201_203312809.jpg
IMG_20201203_212522426.jpg
IMG_20201203_212512366.jpg

I wouldn’t be so tough on yourself. You just completed something that is not for the faint of heart. If this is based on comparing your work to Blaine’s that an unfair comparison. Blaine’s done many of these and has it down to a science. It’s no secret we all admire his work/craftsmanship. What you just did on your own is awesome and through the photos you posted looks great. Many of the guys on here are afraid to take on a project of this kind so don’t down play your accomplishments. My opinion, is that 1/4” will not be noticed or affect anything. Take some time to enjoy your work now. Your install is far from a hack job, good job @Bigmac

I think your work looks pretty darn good. I don’t think a ¼” of travel would bother me much as long as ride height is equal. I am doing the same project right now and am probably a week behind you. I have been watching your progress and calling Blaine every couple days. Finished the rears a week or so ago and just cut my front towers out last night

I would do something else with the reservoirs though.......

reworked the resi mounts with some blaine guidance and I'm much happier with them. ride quality now across the desert is incredible. The whoops are actually enjoyable. with the tires down at 10psi it really just floats across the desert. On pavement you can lean into the corners and while the initial lean over is soft you really feel them stiffen up in a very controlled manner. Although I'm not usually too hard on my junk, I can push it in corners just enough that i can feel it about to slide. It's hard to describe the control, but you can just tell it will drift if you really wanted to.

After bombing around the desert this weekend I now know my front downpipe needs adjusting to avoid the front shaft.

Also, coming off the whoops when my rear suspension droops my right side rear spring is shifting in the top bucket and making a scraping noise. Not sure how im going to tackle that one yet...

Reactions: Nickgsjeep and jjvw
So after my last trip I started the Jeep to go to work. started and immediately died. well that was weird. started again and it fired right up as usual. at stop signs and lights it died 3 times in the 4 miles i drive to work. Had to restart 3 times putting it in my parking space.

Died 6 times getting it back in the garage at lunch. Damn.

In the garage trouble shooting it would randomly die while idling.
After talking with Blaine we suspected maybe some bad gas with water and I added some water remover/ treatment to the fuel tank.

After the treatment it stopped dying but developed a bad misfire. no codes. the exhaust felt like my old harley.

Next was the Crankshaft Position sensor and I was due for new plugs anyway. found out the hard way I needed to pull all of the belly armor off and droop the whole drivetrain to change the CPS due to the tummy tuck.

got it all back together and same issue. wtf.

Buddy of mine pulled his coil on plug rail yesterday and loaned it to me. put it in today and she fired right up and running great. Put a mopar on order from rock auto and Ill be back up and running on the 19th when it comes in...

The old CPS had some cracking wires so it needed replacing anyway.

Between 2 mopar CPS ( got a spare), mopar plugs from the dealer, and a new mopar coil on plug rail, The Jeep budget is a little over this month...

So after my last trip I started the Jeep to go to work. started and immediately died. well that was weird. started again and it fired right up as usual. at stop signs and lights it died 3 times in the 4 miles i drive to work. Had to restart 3 times putting it in my parking space.

After talking with Blaine we suspected maybe some bad gas with water and I added some water remover/ treatment to the fuel tank.

After the treatment it stopped dying but developed a bad misfire. no codes. the exhaust felt like my old harley.

Next was the Crankshaft Position sensor and I was due for new plugs anyway. found out the hard way I needed to pull all of the belly armor off and droop the whole drivetrain to change the CPS due to the tummy tuck.

Buddy of mine pulled his coil on plug rail yesterday and loaned it to me. put it in today and she fired right up and running great. Put a mopar on order from rock auto and Ill be back up and running on the 19th when it comes in...

Between 2 mopar CPS ( got a spare), mopar plugs from the dealer, and a new mopar coil on plug rail, The Jeep budget is a little over this month....

Between 2 mopar CPS ( got a spare), mopar plugs from the dealer, and a new mopar coil on plug rail, The Jeep budget is a little over this month...
IMG_20210112_205151715.jpg
old cps wires cracked. Had the harness routed around the oil pressure sensor incorrectly, now that thats fixed the new CPS should have a little less tension.

certain situations cause my flexplate bolts to clip the dust cover on the 32RH. say im driving uphill on highway accelerating at 50mph... step on the gas, TC lockup disengages, and you can here the clicking.

It's fine for now, done that since I've owned it. But I'm really starting to think its a cracked flexplate. After KOH I may put one on order and pull the tranny.

• Sad
Reactions: Alex01
certain situations cause my flexplate bolts to clip the dust cover on the 32RH. say im driving uphill on highway accelerating at 50mph... step on the gas, TC lockup disengages, and you can here the clicking.

It's fine for now, done that since I've owned it. But I'm really starting to think its a cracked flexplate. After KOH I may put one on order and pull the tranny.
Not saying you don't but a cracked FP won't last long. Look at the inspection cover and see if it is bowed inward at all.

In my experience cracked flexplates make a hell of a racket. Typically can be heard loud and clear anytime the engine is running.