They should have made TJs until 2010!

Jeep ought to make a smaller Jeep...with the way the side by side market is exploding...if they offered a 20k to 30k street legal Jeep SxSish the market would eat it up.

Bonus points for offering propulsion methods for all... electric... hybrid...gas and diesel...flux capacitor...

-Mac

Like the Fiat Panda Jeep Renegade? Good alternative to a Subaru anyways.

Give me a street-legal Mahindra Roxor!

I was joking, the emissions topic was already covered in the first page. I didn't know about the back up camera being required though. Wow federal requirements are so lame :rolleyes:
I think the feds require collision avoidance/blind spot monitoring now too. The back up camera requirement is why you see screens on all new vehicles now. People complain about not having knobs for the HVAC, radio, etc, but you just can't effectively fit everything in. Plus manufactures refuse to go back to column shifters, so now you have to fit a shift knob or lever into the dash/center console too.

I think the best we can hope for is some sort of solid axle Renegade or Bronco Sport type thing, but I'm not holding my breath. Mileage requirements also really hamper building something with any sort of approach/departure angle or ground clearance.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
Let's say Jeep somehow did cut through all of the red tape (impossible. hypothetical), and built like 100k 2006 TJ Rubicons right now. What do you think they could sell them for in today's market? $30K? $40K? $50K?

Let's say Jeep somehow did cut through all of the red tape (impossible. hypothetical), and built like 100k 2006 TJ Rubicons right now. What do you think they could sell them for in today's market? $30K? $40K? $50K?
A lot.

edit: this thread is making me never want to purchase a new vehicle ever again. TIL dumb fed vehicle requirements.

Reactions: HardSell
Interesting question. My 1st thought was a run of new 2006 TJ Rubicons would easily sell out for $50K but, as pointed out above, what we enthusiasts say we want and actually do are not necessarily the same.

I think the feds require collision avoidance/blind spot monitoring now too. The back up camera requirement is why you see screens on all new vehicles now. People complain about not having knobs for the HVAC, radio, etc, but you just can't effectively fit everything in. Plus manufactures refuse to go back to column shifters, so now you have to fit a shift knob or lever into the dash/center console too.

I think the best we can hope for is some sort of solid axle Renegade or Bronco Sport type thing, but I'm not holding my breath. Mileage requirements also really hamper building something with any sort of approach/departure angle or ground clearance.

I agree with others in this thread our best bet is a UTV or ATV like the Roxor, but made by jeep that is closer in size to the CJ. Maybe just possibly in a dream world that UTV can slip past the regulations and be "street legal" in certain jurisdictions.

Federal regulations are stupid beyond belief, just a bunch of suit and ties sipping coffee and making shit up. At a time when there's shortage of CDL drivers they come out with this ELDT bullshit. Yeah let me take a 90 hour course for 4000 dollars, 45 hours in a classroom, and 39 hours in a parking lot, with only 6 hours of on road driving that's totally what I need to be competent CDL driver. That makes total sense, that will definitely bring in a new generation of young drivers to be encouraged to get a CDL.

• Haha
Reactions: Gibsonfirebird12
Reactions: Fouledplugs
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
If you think changing to the 3.8 for emissions was bad.....

"New Vehicles must average 40mpg by 2026, up from 28mpg."
That's corporate average fuel economy. Electric vehicles in a manufacturers line will make up for big gas guzzling SUVs.

If you pay attention to Bring a trailer listings, you'll see that's somewhat normal. TJRs go for like 22-30k depending on mileage, LJ Rubis maybe 30-35k.
I think they only command the prices they do because of the scarcity of clean Rubicons. If they pumped out 100k of them this year I doubt they could sell them for more than 25K, and used Rubicons would be 15k.

Enthusiasts just don't buy new.

Last edited:
The internal combustion engine has pretty much reached its ultimate efficiency/power/torque limits. There aren't any more tricks in the bag to improve them. The Auto Companies are going to meet the 40mpg standard with battery/electric propulsion. Let's hope they start putting charging stations that will ACTUALLY have capacity to meet demand on the Rubicon.

FWIW, I had sales contract ready to sign for a new Wrangler 4xe hybrid till I actually compared its cost to operate with the electricity costs in Kona. It worked out to nearly 6$ an equivalent gallon to charge the battery in the 4xe compared to the then $3.50 a gallon to run the Jeep on just on gasoline. If fossil fuel costs continue at this level your electricity costs are going to rival those in Kona and an electric or hybrid is going to cost just as much or more to operate than a similar ICE powered car.
I mostly agree. I can think of a couple more things they could do, but I think EV's will improve quicker than this tech does. My ideas are....

1) Separate banks of cylinders for compression and expansion. The compression cylinders can be individually deactivated, so you could have one or two cylinders expanding into four when you don't need much power. This would reduce pumping losses and give an enormous expansion ratio, like an atkinson cycle engine, but much better. This also gives the option of running an "interheater" in your compressed air plenum to scavenge some exhaust energy, and then you'd add additional heat with your fuel. The expansion side would just take this hot, high pressure gas and work like an air motor. No combustion would occur in the cylinder, so it could run on pretty much any fuel. I suppose it'd be more like a Brayton cycle engine that way, but with variable compression

2) Steam scavenging. Under lower power settings, you could add an extra stroke between the exhaust and intake stroke. After the exhaust valve closes, inject water into the cylinder. It'll flash to steam, expand and drive the piston down again. This is free energy that would otherwise be lost to the cooling system. It'd be "total loss" though so you'd have to run some pretty pure water to avoid deposits.

3) Homogenous charge compression ignition engines. No throttle = no pumping losses. They're actually working on these.

Last edited:
I agree with others in this thread our best bet is a UTV or ATV like the Roxor, but made by jeep that is closer in size to the CJ. Maybe just possibly in a dream world that UTV can slip past the regulations and be "street legal" in certain jurisdictions.

Federal regulations are stupid beyond belief, just a bunch of suit and ties sipping coffee and making shit up. At a time when there's shortage of CDL drivers they come out with this ELDT bullshit. Yeah let me take a 90 hour course for 4000 dollars, 45 hours in a classroom, and 39 hours in a parking lot, with only 6 hours of on road driving that's totally what I need to be competent CDL driver. That makes total sense, that will definitely bring in a new generation of young drivers to be encouraged to get a CDL.
Yeah- I've been saying for years that the "spiritual successor" of the original WW2 Jeep is something like a UTV. I wonder what it would take to get a UTV with airbags, a heater, MAYBE optional AC, and the appropriate emissions and crash structure. Could even consider making it solid axle. I mean...my commute is only 7 miles and I typically do it on a motorcycle, so it'd be no problem to run one of those on days with bad weather. If they could price it kinda sorta close to existing UTVs (because they'd have greater economies of scale) and think they'd sell well.

Going the other high-tech direction, I think something like the 4xe, but with a tiny, lightweight motorcycle-style engine for range, and the electric drivetrain for acceleration and hill climbing, is the way to go. It could just power the front wheels with a CVT, or power some kind of generator for low-speed driving. You'd drive around town on electric only, but when you were going on a road trip you'd fire up the motor as soon as you start

Literally not legal. Emissions requirements, safety requirements, backup cameras are required in all new vehicles now so you'd need a screen, etc. Nothing like the TJ will ever be built again.
Not true. I know of two American manufactures out of Detroit who offer a car without all the bs, they build them without a screen, backup camera…all the required federally mandated requirements.

Last edited:
The back up camera requirement is why you see screens on all new vehicles now. People complain about not having knobs for the HVAC, radio, etc, but you just can't effectively fit everything in.
Well what kind of technology sells these days? What’s innovative and leads to more consumers visiting dealers to check out the latest tech?

Manufactures are going to follow trends, right now the trend is smart technology, touchscreens, and other tech related, “features.” Consumers love that stuff and if it’s in their pockets, in their homes, then manufactures know if they put that stuff in their cars it will more likely end up in a consumers garages.

Literally not legal. Emissions requirements, safety requirements, backup cameras are required in all new vehicles now so you'd need a screen, etc. Nothing like the TJ will ever be built again.
Yup, or the XJ, or the WJ. Too many safety requirements and systems needed. The bumpers and hood lines even have to be designed a certain way to protect pedestrians.

I have a friend who is an engineer for an automotive supplier, he says the fed requirements get crazier every year. Each vehicle has to be able to basically hit a pedestrian without killing them, survive a head-on off-set collision with a concrete barrier, have all sorts of safety cameras, lane keep assist, etc, oh and get 30mpg.

• Sad
In 1972 there was the Opec gas crisis, an old mafiaso said to me. I don't care if gas is $10.00 a gallon as long as I can get it. In 1973 he and his Cadillac disappeared forever.
Go figure.

• Wow
Yup, or the XJ, or the WJ. Too many safety requirements and systems needed. The bumpers and hood lines even have to be designed a certain way to protect pedestrians.

I have a friend who is an engineer for an automotive supplier, he says the fed requirements get crazier every year. Each vehicle has to be able to basically hit a pedestrian without killing them, survive a head-on off-set collision with a concrete barrier, have all sorts of safety cameras, lane keep assist, etc, oh and get 30mpg.

Seriously, lane keep assist and blind spot cameras, pathetic. Someone should teach these federal government employees the concept of Darwinism.

I can already see it now in the year 2050: Step right up to get your drivers license, if you are driving a fully automated self driving car here you go here's your license out of a cereal box. Oh want to drive an actual car that you actually drive that'll be 7000$ and a safety driving course that's 90 hours in a classroom.

Seriously, lane keep assist and blind spot cameras, pathetic. Someone should teach these federal government employees the concept of Darwinism.

I can already see it now in the year 2050: Step right up to get your drivers license, if you are driving a fully automated self driving car here you go here's your license out of a cereal box. Oh want to drive an actual car that you actually drive that'll be 7000$ and a safety driving course that's 90 hours in a classroom.
I get it and agree. However car accidnets are the leading cause of death for folks under the age of 54 in America.

So maybe that’s where it stems from. Total guess, but Americans are probably the most distracted drivers.

And pedestrian/cyclist deaths from strikes are at an all time him these past few years.