Thinking about getting an awning

I just ordered the $120 model from Amazon. I'll be using it on the Jeep once I build the roof rack, and will also switch it over to the van when we want to camp in that vehicle. It shouldn't be too much of a bother to switch the thing from rack to rack, and as long as the skeleton of it holds up it's easy enough to replace the fabric.

Reactions: Randun
Do you have difficulty finding places to tie off your tarp too? Say if you are in an area with no trees?
I have a bikini top on 80% of the time. I use the Jeep for a couple of tie off points and either a rock or, if I was really desperate, a tent stake.

Any pros or cons to your set up?
Cons are the guy wires. Not a huge deal but someone could trip on them. The pros are the cost. I can put it on either side or the rear. I use it on my F150 too. The legs are 1/2 conduit cut in half using the conduit couplers and a 3/8" bolt hammered in backward to put the tarp grommet over. the legs fit behind the rear seat of the TJ without even noticing them.

Cons are the guy wires. Not a huge deal but someone could trip on them. The pros are the cost. I can put it on either side or the rear. I use it on my F150 too. The legs are 1/2 conduit cut in half using the conduit couplers and a 3/8" bolt hammered in backward to put the tarp grommet over. the legs fit behind the rear seat of the TJ without even noticing them.

I use a similar set up, but with a 12 x12 tarp. I had some "extra" tent poles, so no need for conduit. Easy to put up or store.

Reactions: Randun and WSS
I do have an awning that I sort of inherited, but haven’t used yet. Eventually I want a rooftop tent as well. Until then I use this all round awning.
5703A058-76A6-41E9-B0EC-29D2DF863CF3.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Randun and WSS
Great review! Thank you so much for your time and your help. I really appreciate it.

Reactions: WSS
I have a rhino rack awning I use on my 4Runner(not on the Jeep). I love it. It takes 2-3 min to set up, 5 by myself. It doesn’t leak when it rains, however it does pool a bit. I usually just drop one side lower to drain the water. Takes literally 2 seconds. Haven’t used it in heavy wind, though I think it would hold up as long as it’s staked down correctly. It breaks down just as quickly as setting up also. Additionally when I have to remove it from the Runner, it two 13mm bolts and it’s off. Maybe 5 min. Also got a huge mil discount so it was easier to purchase. Here is what I have
https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/sport-leisure/shade/awnings/sunseeker-2-5m-awning_32133

X2 to the Rhino Sunseeker awning. We have ours on the side of the teardrop. We also have a heavy duty pop up.

Id think mounted to my Jeep I might hit it on trees. It might be annoying if I set it up in one orientation, then needed to move it bc of the sun.

8045608E-013D-40FE-8C9F-9E26A5D5CB61.jpeg

3CFFF0A4-7B00-4059-A399-FC743E43F737.jpeg

I have a rhino rack awning I use on my 4Runner(not on the Jeep). I love it. It takes 2-3 min to set up, 5 by myself. It doesn’t leak when it rains, however it does pool a bit. I usually just drop one side lower to drain the water. Takes literally 2 seconds. Haven’t used it in heavy wind, though I think it would hold up as long as it’s staked down correctly. It breaks down just as quickly as setting up also. Additionally when I have to remove it from the Runner, it two 13mm bolts and it’s off. Maybe 5 min. Also got a huge mil discount so it was easier to purchase. Here is what I have
https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/sport-leisure/shade/awnings/sunseeker-2-5m-awning_32133
Great review!

Thank you so much for your time and your help. I really appreciate it.

X2 to the Rhino Sunseeker awning. We have ours on the side of the teardrop. We also have a heavy duty pop up.

Id think mounted to my Jeep I might hit it on trees. It might be annoying if I set it up in one orientation, then needed to move it bc of the sun.

View attachment 209540

View attachment 209541
What a beautiful set up you have!

Thank you so much for the pictures and your time.

Reactions: JMT
I just ordered the $120 model from Amazon. I'll be using it on the Jeep once I build the roof rack, and will also switch it over to the van when we want to camp in that vehicle. It shouldn't be too much of a bother to switch the thing from rack to rack, and as long as the skeleton of it holds up it's easy enough to replace the fabric.
O thought I should bump this thread with my review of the $120 amazon awning.

Don't fuckin buy it if you plan to ever use it in the wind. The tubes that they use are super light weight which also means super thin walled. A good gust of wind at the wrong time can kick the legs out and rip the bolts out of the mounts. I've repaired it by pressing some slit steel tube into the ends at the connection points and drilling new holes. I also added some square steel tube inside the aluminum channel to add some rigidity to the corners where the tie downs connect. I also had to weld together some new bolt ends because the company uses some crimped-in plastic captured nut that also broke in the wind.

I feel like it's a fine awning now, but I've put about 4 hours into fixing and reinforcing it.

20210419_140558.jpg

20210419_174313.jpg

20210419_174324.jpg