Thinking about getting an awning

I use a tarp - specifically a Noah's Tarp. I have two, 9' and 12'. I decided that the 12' version is more versatile.

With two collapsible poles, rope and some tent pegs I can create many different types of shelter within minutes. Often, I run a rope from tree to tree or tie off one corner on the jeep and state the opposite corner in the ground - no poles at all

View attachment 207586
Great set up!

I thought of an awning but as others have mentioned I didn't want something that was tied to my Jeep. I went with an easy up canopy for a few reasons. They are generally larger and there are a lot of options (style, construction, colour, price, etc.). You can also use them for other purposes. I have 2 Bass Pro 10'x10' canopies that are fine for my needs. I usually take one but 2 strung together is sometimes good too (i.e. - car races with several friends, working under it, etc.). I've put one beside my Jeep or behind with the tailgate open and the glass up and next to my trailer as well. One canopy fits crosswise behind the seats in my TJ or LJ; it will not fit lengthwise in the cargo area.

I have another canopy that when broken down is about the size of a sleeping bag and weighs about the same. It has to be anchored to my Jeep but it can be detached and hooked up again in a few minutes. It provides great sun and rain protection. It's shown below on my XJ but it works just as well with a TJ.

15-09-13 M 010 (800x531).jpg
Canopy 2.jpg

Last edited:
My brother has a Oz Tent Foxwing 270 degree awning, and it is quite nice and very easy to setup. It covers one side and the rear of the vehicle. He also has a large OzTent which attaches to the awning, so he can get from the tent to the truck in the rain without getting wet. I imagine it’s size is just a bit too big for a 2 door Jeep (not sure about the LJ/TJU.). I think, in compressed form it is about 2.5 meters long. It does have a lot of coverage. It’s also pretty expensive at about $750 US.

https://www.oztent.com/Products/foxwing-awning-product

Reactions: Randun
I use a tarp - specifically a Noah's Tarp. I have two, 9' and 12'. I decided that the 12' version is more versatile.

With two collapsible poles, rope and some tent pegs I can create many different types of shelter within minutes. Often, I run a rope from tree to tree or tie off one corner on the jeep and stake the opposite corner in the ground - no poles at all

View attachment 207586

As far as EZ-Ups are concerned, I find mine too bulky to use with a jeep. Its stowed away in the motorhome.
I always carry a tarp for the same reason, flexibility. Not a lot of space in a Jeep, always a good idea to pack something with multiple uses. Takes up less space than an EZ up and not permanent to the vehicle.

My brother has a Oz Tent Foxwing 270 degree awning, and it is quite nice and very easy to setup. . . .

Oz Tent makes terrific products, but they are heavy and bulky and in my humble opinion more suited to vehicles larger than a TJ/LJ. That doesn't mean that I don't like Oz Tent products. To the contrary I really like their stuff. Its just that most Oz Tent products are not well suited for small vehicles with extremely limited storage space.

I checked the link. The Oz Tent Foxwing awning, two side panels plus tent will top out at 112 lbs. :eek:

For comparison purposes, my Noah's tarp with poles and rope weighs 5.5 lbs. and my Kodiak Canvas swag tent with mattress pad weighs 20.1 lbs., total 25.6 lbs., and if I want to save weight I can use my ALPS Mountaineering 3 person backpacking tent (5.1#) instead and bring the total down to only 10.6 lbs. vs. 112 lbs.

Most of them are not strong enough to hold up to any strong wind plus they pool and leak in rain. You have to pack it away every time you want to drive . they are fixed to the vehicle.

They are a good shade source to use while setting up/ packing down camp.

1 x tarp 2 x tent poles 1 x cross pole 3 x guy ropes and a bag of zip ties, Try before you buy :)
Yep. That is my style too

IMG_5489.jpg

Reactions: Vasq and Randun
I'm confused.

The jeep is parked in the shade. No one is under the awning. Everyone is in the sun.

🤔
It did not start that way. LOL. Thin skinned whities have to sit in the sun. I got up from under the tarp to take the pic. It was a lunch break right before John Bull.

When we arrived, it was warm, a breeze kicked up and I lost my fam to the sun.

I probably should add that this kit cost under $30 and is as strong as you tie it down.

I thought of an awning but as others have mentioned I didn't want something that was tied to my Jeep. I went with an easy UP canopy for a few reasons. They are generally larger and there are a lot of options (style, construction, colour, price, etc.). You can also use them for other purposes. I have 2 Bass Pro 10'x10' canopies that are fine for my needs. I usually take one but 2 strung together is sometimes good too (i.e. - car races with several friends, working under it, etc.). I've put one beside my Jeep or behind with the tailgate open and the glass up and next to my trailer as well. One canopy fits crosswise behind the seats in my TJ or LJ; it will not fit lengthwise in the cargo area.

I have another canopy that when broken down is about the size of a sleeping bag and weighs about the same. It has to be anchored to my Jeep but it can be detached and hooked up again in a few minutes. It provides great sun and rain protection. It's shown below on my XJ but it works just as well with a TJ.

View attachment 207642View attachment 207646
What a beautiful set up you have!

Thank you so much for your opinion on easy ups too!

Do you have any cons to your set up?

My brother has a Oz Tent Foxwing 270 degree awning, and it is quite nice and very easy to setup. It covers one side and the rear of the vehicle. He also has a large OzTent which attaches to the awning, so he can get from the tent to the truck in the rain without getting wet. I imagine it’s size is just a bit too big for a 2 door Jeep (not sure about the LJ/TJU.). I think, in compressed form it is about 2.5 meters long. It does have a lot of coverage. It’s also pretty expensive at about $750 US.

https://www.oztent.com/Products/foxwing-awning-product
Those foxwings are stunning!

Has your brother said any negative things about it?

I like the idea of getting from the tent to the truck without getting wet. Smart thinking!

I always carry a tarp for the same reason, flexibility. Not a lot of space in a Jeep, always a good idea to pack something with multiple uses. Takes up less space than an EZ up and not permanent to the vehicle.
Do you have difficulty finding places to tie off your tarp too? Say if you are in an area with no trees?

Oz Tent makes terrific products, but they are heavy and bulky and in my humble opinion more suited to vehicles larger than a TJ/LJ. That doesn't mean that I don't like Oz Tent products. To the contrary I really like their stuff. Its just that most Oz Tent products are not well suited for small vehicles with extremely limited storage space.

I checked the link. The Oz Tent Foxwing awning, two side panels plus tent will top out at 112 lbs. :eek:

For comparison purposes, my Noah's tarp with poles and rope weighs 5.5 lbs. and my Kodiak Canvas swag tent with mattress pad weighs 20.1 lbs., total 25.6 lbs., and if I want to save weight I can use my ALPS Mountaineering 3 person backpacking tent (5.1#) instead and bring the total down to only 10.6 lbs. vs. 112 lbs.
Great opinions on weight!

Thank you so much for your time and your help!

What a beautiful set up you have!

Thank you so much for your opinion on easy ups too!

Do you have any cons to your set up?

Thanks. Both have been great and it's good to have options if you can. The only times that I don't take the easy up are early in the season when the bugs are bad. I have a similar sized screen tent for that. The open canopy is much better to use though. As mentioned, it fits sideways behind the seats. I couldn't take it otherwise except for in my XJ or in one of my trailers. Here it is in my TJ with a camp chair on top. There's room to spare and you can take it out through either door without having to remove all of the other equipment. This is for me camping on my own. With my wife, well ... that's a different story. It also works well with my tear drop, either behind it or along the side depending on the camp site. I also have a tarp that's similar to Mr. Bills'. It's easy to use and I've even just thrown it over things like, bikes, tables, etc. when it's started too rain.

2015-09-13.jpg
20-08-12 5.jpg

I can't say there have been any cons concerning the easy up canopy. The canopy shown behind my XJ has been good too. My only complaint and it's minor is that I wish the side flaps went right to the ground and that they could be folded up. I think I can fix the folding up with Velcro and a needle and some thread.

BTW - I used to race Baja Bugs similar to yours. Different kind of off roading but what a blast!

Last edited:
My .02 cents since I was recently faced with the same need. After looking at the ARB and the cheaper knock-off, decided a semi-permanent mount was not the solution for me. Settled on purchasing a good quality tarp (6 x 8) and adjustable poles. Here is the setup during last month's hunt with it attached to my cargo trailer. It will easily work on the jeep my attaching the tarp via zip-ties to the rack on the hardtop. It weathered a pretty hard rain without pooling by dropping one of the poles down about two feet. Compact and portable for about $55, EDIT.....just noticed the earlier post from WSS. Perfect application attached to his jeep.

TarpAwning.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. Both have been great and it's good to have options if you can. The only times that I don't take the easy up are early in the season when the bugs are bad. I have a similar sized screen tent for that. The open canopy is much better to use though. As mentioned, it fits sideways behind the seats. I couldn't take it otherwise except for in my XJ or in one of my trailers. Here it is in my TJ with a camp chair on top. There's room to spare and you can take it out through either door without having to remove all of the other equipment. This is for me camping on my own. With my wife, well ... that's a different story. It also works well with my tear drop, either behind it or along the side depending on the camp site. I also have a tarp that's similar to Mr. Bills'. It's easy to use and I've even just thrown it over things like, bikes, tables, etc. when it's started too rain.

View attachment 207813View attachment 207815

I can't say there have been any cons concerning the easy up canopy. The canopy shown behind my XJ has been good too. My only complaint and it's minor is that I wish the side flaps went right to the ground and that they could be folded up. I think I can fix the folding up with Velcro and a needle and some thread.

BTW - I used to race Baja Bugs similar to yours. Different kind of off roading but what a blast!
Great review!

Thank you so much for your time, your help, and for your photographs. I really appreciate it. I'm looking into different options for shade, and I really like your set up.

My family is in off-road racing too! Class 5 right now, used to be class 10, and before that 1600. I love off-roading! It's in my blood :)

• Love
Reactions: PCO6
My .02 cents since I was recently faced with the same need. After looking at the ARB and the cheaper knock-off, decided a semi-permanent mount was not the solution for me. Settled on purchasing a good quality tarp (6 x 8) and adjustable poles. Here is the setup during last month's hunt with it attached to my cargo trailer. It will easily work on the jeep my attaching the tarp via zip-ties to the rack on the hardtop. It weathered a pretty hard rain without pooling by dropping one of the poles down about two feet. Compact and portable for about $55, EDIT.....just noticed the earlier post from WSS. Perfect application attached to his jeep.

View attachment 207828
Love your set up! Looks like so much fun!

Thank you so much for your time and your help!

Great review!

Thank you so much for your time, your help, and for your photographs. I really appreciate it. I'm looking into different options for shade, and I really like your set up.

My family is in off-road racing too! Class 5 right now, used to be class 10, and before that 1600. I love off-roading! It's in my blood :)

There are probably days when you'd appreciate having an easy up to park your bug under. I loved racing in the rain ... and mud. 🌧️ None of had them though in the '70s ...
CORRA 2 (800x600).jpg

There are probably days when you'd appreciate having an easy up to park your bug under. I loved racing in the rain ... and mud. 🌧️ None of had them though in the '70s ...
View attachment 207842
Love this pic! Your car is so similar to the one that my dad raced in the Mint 400 in the 70s too.

Have fun out there, get muddy and make memories. That is what life is all about!

Reactions: PCO6