Third brake light options

Camhabib

TJ Enthusiast
So when I got my TJ the third brake light was trashed. I took it off and replaced it with one of those round behind the wheel ones off Amazon for like $20. Well it’s state inspection time and I’m fairly certain it’s going to fail with that light on (not to mention it doesn’t really fit under the wheel anyways) so I’m looking for something else. Preferably cheap, ideally something like this but that fits a TJ. Thoughts?

Do you really need a 3rd brake light?
hard or soft top?
Aftermarket tire carrier?
tire size?
Why do you think the in the wheel one won’t pass?

after all those, if you have a hitch maybe one of those in hitch lights

you could do a led strip or zip tie on a light on a hardtop or aftermarket tire carrier

why not buy a stock one? There cheap enough on here.

Do you really need a 3rd brake light?
Only if you want to give the inattentive, drunk, drug impaired, texting, etc. drivers every possible chance at noticing you had to suddenly slow down or stop. I'm no safety nanny, I've just had too many inattentive drivers come too close to nailing my TJ from the rear.

I agree with Jerry B.
BRAKE LIGHT NIGHT (2) (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Appreciate the replies guys. This may just be an MA thing but I stopped by a couple inspection places and was told before they even took my money that the circle brake light wouldn’t pass. The fitment under the spare issue is less important to me as I need new rims and tires anyways. I may try one more place and if I still get a no, take @dbbd1 up on his offer (thank you).

so your next mod is dark shade window tint, Jerry? you'll have the one of the few jeeps in Fla that's not on 20" rims.

Reactions: Tob
Love it! I will need to get a new license plate when I get moved to Florida, I am thinking of stealing your LOST COZ idea. They'd never understand my current CRWLRJP plate in Florida LOL.
That’s funny, when you get there you’ll need to trade your under seat fire extinguisher for the same size mosquito spray.

Unfortunately I have to Kinda disagree, fools on phones cause the majority of rear ends now, and They wouldn’t see a 6 foot Neon Stop sign over the spare....but I like as many Back there as possible, just feel like it’s become worthless.

Unfortunately I have to Kinda disagree, fools on phones cause the majority of rear ends now, and They wouldn’t see a 6 foot Neon Stop sign over the spare....but I like as many Back there as possible, just feel like it’s become worthless.
Definitely not 100% worthless in 100% of the possible situations. I'll continue betting on the 3rd brake light being far more useful than no 3rd brake light, especially since it's easier to leave it in place than remove it and not hard to get a replacement working if the OE 3rd brake light had to be removed for some reason. I think some choose to remove it for aesthetic reasons which, like painting everything black, I don't get.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Definitely not 100% worthless in 100% of the possible situations. I'll continue betting on the 3rd brake light being far more useful than no 3rd brake light, especially since it's easier to leave it in place than remove it and not hard to get a replacement working if the OE 3rd brake light had to be removed for some reason. I think some choose to remove it for aesthetic reasons which, like painting everything black, I don't get.
I agree, I’ll have one always Better than not having one , But I’m just seeing more and more heads completely down looking at phones, went 3 hours to the hunting lease this weekend and literally every few miles I’d tell my son bet they’re on a phone, pass them and head is down. My comment was more that out of frustration that these fools are making it harder to stay are from them.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I’m running an AEV CHMSL. I think it will work for 5x4.5 too, but I’m running it with my 5x5 JK wheels with a Jk adapter. I just cut the JK plug off, soldered and wired it to the stock light wiring. Works great.

Maine is the same way. My last LJ with the CJ tailgate wouldn’t pass until I got one in. For inspection, anyway, but that was in winter which make it easier since I could find a spot on the hard top glass for it.

7C317609-3513-4CB5-8C42-568CE568F901.jpeg

You're leaving Cali?
In a year and a half or so I am being dragged there kicking and screaming. My son is there with his family snd two brand-new babies. So is heat, humidity, mosquitoes, and alligators. What is not there? Mountains, deserts, and rock crawling. 😭

In a year and a half or so I am being dragged there kicking and screaming. My son is there with his family snd two brand-new babies. So is heat, humidity, mosquitoes, and alligators. What is not there? Mountains, deserts, and rock crawling. 😭
That will be a shock to your system with no mountains. We have nearly 100% humidity here in Va all summer. I've never got used to it. Time to dark tint those windows now. I know you don't like them.

Last edited:
In VA the third brake light must have DOT approved stamp on it to pass inspection. I have one in the center like TheBoogieman has in #6 above and a ring of fire. Failed inspection because the ring of fire in not DOT approved. I had to remove (cove) the ring of fire to pass.