Tipping on to-go orders: What's the consensus?

There is good Chinese food around here, I just haven’t found it yet. Plus, I’m very picky. I won’t eat Chinese food that has been deep fried and over-breaded. It’s got to be pan-fried.
A lot of these Chinese places seem like they just take KFC chicken and dump some sauce on it. P.F. Chang’s pan-fries the stuff and doesn’t overdo it on the sauce, which I really like.
I bet you have brushes specifically for cleaning your shoes.

Back on topic:
In house dining: 20%+
Always tip minimum 10%+ on take out if it's packed with some sense of care. Some folks get more, but we only order from the locally owned restaurants.
Ice cream shop gets %10+; usually high school kids and they do a good job.
Pizza guy gets a $5 bill, more than enough to cover fuel/time from their base of operations to me.
No fast food. I make my own coffee. I don't see where else I would tip.
I worked through the "pandemic", I have it and I don't mind helping others. I do not give to bums; ever feed a stray dog, damn thing will never leave.

***Almost forgot: The added "gratituity" is usually lesss than what I would have tip, so they lose on that deal. I don't need someone else making that decision for me.

Reactions: Ephry73 and Chris
Pre-lockdown I always gave a 15%-20% tip for service and sometimes depending on the take out and if I go there regularly I’d tip there too, fast food I don’t tip but usually let them keep the change for someone else In line later who might be short. If for some reason I get food comped I tip for the pre-comp bill total I’ve even on occasion passes the value of the free food on to my server.

Now after the lockdown In restaurant dining is infrequent and we do a lot more take out, I rationalize the staff is working hard to prepare and package orders sometimes providing curb service and just because things have changed I figure service workers still have the same bills to pay and depend on the income, so I now tip the same for any restaurant take out as I did for indoor dining.

Lately we've been getting a lot of to-go from restaurants. I've noticed a lot of these restaurants have apps that automatically include a tip when you're checking out, unless you go in and set the top amount to zero.

Now my question is this: Why the hell would I tip for a to-go order? I'm going in and picking up my food, no one is waiting on me, and it's just a cook making my food and someone putting in a bag.

However, I feel that often times I get the cold shoulder, almost as if when I pick it up, they are disgruntled that I didn't leave them a tip.

Do you tip on to-go orders? I just can't wrap my head around this one for the life of me.

Why does everyone feel like they deserve a tip these days. I feel like George Costanza :rolleyes:
I understand where you're coming from Chris, but it sounds like you've never worked in the service industry before where you live off your tips. Typically, you're paid below minimum wage because of the tips and STILL get charge a certain percent of your sales for the day whether you made any tips or not. You can actually lose money if nobody is tipping.
Yes, I tip regardless. If the service is "intentionally crappy" I leave 1 dollar and write why on the check so the manager see's it.
I tip at least 20% or more for everything else, try to leave cash and fill in "cash" in the tip amount, but don't say how much.

Reactions: Tomcat
I understand where you're coming from Chris, but it sounds like you've never worked in the service industry before where you live off your tips. Typically, you're paid below minimum wage because of the tips and STILL get charge a certain percent of your sales for the day whether you made any tips or not. You can actually lose money if nobody is tipping.
Yes, I tip regardless. If the service is "intentionally crappy" I leave 1 dollar and write why on the check so the manager see's it.
I tip at least 20% or more for everything else, try to leave cash and fill in "cash" in the tip amount, but don't say how much.

You are correct, I’ve never worked in the service industry so I honestly have no idea what they make. I have always left tips when dining in, but the to-go thing is new to me since we didn’t do it that often until the COVID nonsense shut a lot of places down for dine-in.

Reactions: Tray Burge
You are correct, I’ve never worked in the service industry so I honestly have no idea what they make. I have always left tips when dining in, but the to-go thing is new to me since we didn’t do it that often until the COVID nonsense shut a lot of places down for dine-in.
I get it, but them poor bastards are still getting paid shit, so I leave a tip of at least $5.00 (more if the order is large)
Most of us that came out of that industry did it while we were in school, etc. and knew we had to get something better for life in the long run.
Not like Wal-Mart employees that are actually shown by the upper management how to get "government assistance" to pad their checks and stay below the poverty level, they built an empire on that philosophy. I loath Wal-Mart and never shop there.

Pre C19, at restaurants that we‘ve frequently gone to, we get to know the wait staff. And they remember us as good tippers. Current C19, take-out, we’re still good tippers.
Before I met my wife, that came from a very large family, her Mom was a waitress. If the diner had a slow day or not so great full customers, it meant that her tips were short. Which meant her own kid’s dinner was not so filling.
@Squatch, I’ve proudly done that too. I’ll try and make it a short story but...
On my way back home from a Jeep camping trip, I rolled in to Mojave Ca. This was late at night so I took a chance on a diner that was still open. When I got out of the Jeep, I noticed the car next to me had a flat tire. After I sat down, the waitress walked up almost in tears. Come to find out that it was her car. I offered to change it her but, she had no spare. She said that the diner was closing soon and she was going to call a tow truck which was going to cost her $xx.
Once she got herself together, she asked to take my order. As a joke, I said, give me whatever the cook was going to throw out and that will be good enough for me. A little bit later, she set down a plate of steak & eggs plus the sides. It was good and it hit the spot. The bill was, to my surprise, was $0.00. She said the owner/cook said so. I left her a $100 tip and walked out full and a with smile on my face.
And there’s more.
As I got to my Jeep, she ran out the back door to thank me for my kindness and generosity.
As we were standing there, I looked and saw the head of a 1/4” bolt and said, I can fix that.
Ten minutes later I aired it up. She gave me a big hug and I drove off with an even bigger smile.

Edit. I also mentioned to her that most Jeepers are good people and very willing to help out when they can.

Last edited:
Pre C19, at restaurants that we‘ve frequently gone to, we get to know the wait staff. And they remember us as good tippers. Current C19, take-out, we’re still good tippers.
Before I met my wife, that came from a very large family, her Mom was a waitress. If the diner had a slow day or not so great full customers, it meant that her tips were short. Which meant her own kid’s dinner was not so filling.
@Squatch, I’ve proudly done that too. I’ll try and make it a short story but...
On my way back home from a Jeep camping trip, I rolled in to Mojave Ca. This was late at night so I took a chance on a diner that was still open. When I got out of the Jeep, I noticed the car next to me had a flat tire. After I sat down, the waitress walked up almost in tears. Come to find out that it was her car. I offered to change it her but, she had no spare. She said that the diner was closing soon and she was going to call a tow truck which was going to cost her $xx.
Once she got herself together, she asked to take my order. As a joke, I said, give me whatever the cook was going to throw out and that will be good enough for me. A little bit later, she set down a plate of steak & eggs plus the sides. It was good and it hit the spot. The bill was, to my surprise, was $0.00. She said the owner/cook said so. I left her a $100 tip and walked out full and a with smile on my face.
And there’s more.
As I got to my Jeep, she ran out the back door to thank me for my kindness and generosity.
As we were standing there, I looked and saw the head of a 1/4” bolt and said, I can fix that.
Ten minutes later I aired it up. She gave me a big hug and I drove off with an even bigger smile.

Edit. I also mentioned to her that most Jeepers are good people and very willing to help out when they can.
Awesome story, brother. Good on ya. Sounds like it could be a country song! (y)

We use postmates alot. And unless you go in and change the tip. The lowest it gives is 15%. Which is bullshit. Because if you read the taxes and fees line it's way more than just taxes. So they are siphoning off the top quite a bit. It's hard to tell whose responsibility it is to make sure the order is correct. But it gets f'd up all the time. I tip based on that sorry to say. As I have nothing else to go on. It's also unclear if any of those top fees get paid out to drivers.

When picking up curbside I leave the same $4-$5 I would when getting delivery straight from a restaurant. No one is waiting on my table. But I still feel the need to support my local eateries. I would not begrudge anyone that did not feel the need to tip on a curbside pick up. Unless someone came out and gave you your food. Then I would tip that person $5.

Even though alot of local eateries are starting to add ridiculous fees to their charges. And NOT passing them off to the drivers/waiters. But anyway. Curbside I tip $5 usually.

Reactions: Chris
Service industry workers live off tips. Many servers make LESS than minimum wage with tips supposedly bringing their hourly pay to a legal wage. This is a terrible system obviously, but that 10% tip is what they rely on to be able to pay their rent and feed their children. Consider also the fact that we are in the middle of pandemic which means they will be making even less and putting themselves at the most risk. So I dont mind throwing in a percentage for a delivery driver or a couple bucks for a pickup order.
I 100% agree with what AMS417 said about paying people a living wage.

Service workers do work for less than minimum wage.

that doesn’t include the hostess. Hostesses don’t fall under the category for waitress pay.

My daughter works for a pizza company. She makes $2 more than minimum wage. Yet still brings home $20 extra bucks a night from counter tips. It isn’t even a dine in facility. Take out or delivery only.
Tipping is out of hand In America.

So for pick up only, I usually do not tip. For places like where my daughter work. I definitely do not tip.

Reactions: Chris
TIP on take out all the time ......... 10% - If you can't spare $2 on a $20 take out order,
STAY HOME & MAKE YOUR OWN !!!

It WONT change your life style, but it might help someone else's !

Reactions: MountaineerTom
This thread has gone on long enough to warrant one of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies, Reservoir Dogs...
https://youtu.be/4fbwwlHPtRM

Steve Buscemi brings up a valid point in the clip. Why does our collective society deem one service job worthy of tips while denying that same perk to other similar positions? Why is the Starbuck's employee tip worthy but not the kid at In and Out Burger? Both offer a good product with generally friendly service.

I truly think it is bullshit that restaurant owners are able to pay servers less than the minimum wage and have me feel obligated to pick up the slack so their kids can eat at night. It basically puts the server in the position of relying on the generosity of strangers to survive.

Price the product correctly pay a fair wage and call it a day. If your business can't survive in that scenario do you really have a viable business?

Last edited:
Steve Buscemi brings up a valid point in the clip. Why does our collective society deem one service job worthy of tips while denying that same perk to other similar positions? Why is the Starbuck's employee tip worthy but not the kid at In and Out Burger? Both offer a good product with generally friendly service.

I truly think it is bullshit that restaurant owners are able to pay servers less than the minimum wage and have me feel obligated to pick up the slack so their kids can eat at night. It basically puts the server in the position of relying on the generosity of strangers to survive.

Price the product correctly pay a fair wage and call it a day. If your business can't survive in that scenario do you really have a viable business?

Amen!

I like the tip system when it comes to restaurant service since my experience is so dependent on how the service is. Going out to eat is an interesting activity since the entire experience that I'm paying for is reliant on an unskilled worker. Tipping gives the waiter a lot more incentive to work harder. I think if we got rid of the tipping system, going out to eat would be a much worse experience since the same workers would have no incentive to provide a good service.

Reactions: Rick Flair
I have been tipping at the restaurants we normally would sit down at. I truly love their food and they are small family owned places with young college aged kids that work their butts off.

I tip based off service when we sit. I’m generous to the point of my wife not always agreeing with how much but if the person works their butt off, I don’t mind doing some extra to say thank you. I also don’t mind giving them a heads up when the service sucks by little to nothing. Thankfully we live in a small town and are known so it’s only an issue at places when we travel.

For pizza or other take out, nope. The service of handing me food is not it especially in fast food.

The coffee thing I hate and struggle with. I don’t drink coffee but my wife does. 🤷‍♂️