Colorado Tips on Ouray, CO trip

No snow at all from what I can see. You'll have a great time!

20220713_111627.jpg

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
That’s awesome. I’ll be out in Ouray in two weeks - but with only two wheels…

Reactions: tworley
Well folks, I'm leaving in the morning, stopping in Amarillo for a couple of days to hit Palo Dura canyon, then head up to Ouray for 10 days of jeeping.

Enjoy! I'll be up there labor day. I can't even imagine how awesome it would be to have 10 days up there. I'm usually trying to squeeze it in between work and family commitments, so as usual my labor day trip will be 3 nights. Gonna do Stony, either Ophir or Black Bear depending on what my group is up for, Imogene, Poughkeepsie, California, Cinnamon, might try to work in an early morning hike out of American Basin. Camping in a different spot every night.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Imogene is open to the top from the Ouray side, but closed on the Telluride side for bridge repair.

I was just up there on Tuesday and the bridges were done. Spoke to the co crew and they were finishing snow removal and planning on opening it up Wednesday.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I was just up there on Tuesday and the bridges were done. Spoke to the co crew and they were finishing snow removal and planning on opening it up Wednesday.

Thanks, that's great news, because we're heading to Ouray three days from now.

I hit the area on Tuesday. I was told Imogene is open both sides.

We stayed in the Imogene/Yankee Boy area this time. Lots of great trails; you can’t go wrong with any of them.

42842411-EE34-4E0E-A74F-13B5DB357A77.jpeg

230BB46B-70B3-4285-A5C0-155ADC94F0D2.jpeg

719DB0A5-1A22-4555-9BF1-59DDC63812E9.jpeg

We stayed in the Imogene/Yankee Boy area this time. Lots of great trails; you can’t go wrong with any of them.

View attachment 343025

View attachment 343026

View attachment 343027

I hit yankee boy last year for the first time. I usually end up avoiding the out-and-back stuff because I can work through-trails into a loop and cover more territory in a day. I've covered a few of the gulches between Silverton and Animas Forks but Yankee Boy was the best out-back I've seen in the area.

We probably passed each other at some point. Although on Tuesday we ran Mineral Creek, Poughkeepsie and Engineer.

How late in the year are the passes mentioned open, I know this is a year by year kind of thing based on snow but what is “normal?” Looking at taking a trip up there later this year and debating on throwing the LJ on a trailer

How late in the year are the passes mentioned open, I know this is a year by year kind of thing based on snow but what is “normal?” Looking at taking a trip up there later this year and debating on throwing the LJ on a trailer

I've seen them be temporarily impassable due an early snow as early as mid September, then it melts off after a few days and is clear again. Closing for the season I think is usually mid October to November.

Your odds are pretty good through the 2nd week of October. The changing colors are amazing.

F1ECE3E8-FE3E-4E5C-8C2A-C092789B6EBC.jpeg

The KOA in Ouray has a big teepee you can stay in. We did that with the kids last time we went and it was actually pretty cool.
Ridgeway is a nice town too.