Tire advice

We live in Arkansas but I love the jeep roads in the Ouray Silverton Teluride area. I like the idea of a 10.5 width. The 35x12.5 need much lower gearing than my 4.10.
Then it sounds like a 33x10.5x15 would work. BTW, I love my KO2s in that very size, and I'm running only a 3" lift. I'm geared 3.73; your 4.10 ratio would be better.

Reactions: Ron Hall
Then it sounds like a 33x10.5x15 would work. BTW, I love my KO2s in that very size, and I'm running only a 3" lift. I'm geared 3.73; your 4.10 ratio would be better.
That is the tire I am buying. The local 4wd shop looked at it today.And said I had a 1 inch body lift plus the 4 inch rough country. I am going to pull those spacers. I appreciate everyones great advice and comments.

3947C623-3B96-4437-AF46-39B10B946489.jpeg

In addition to the tire change I'd also look into replacing the rough country shocks. That along with the tire swap will make a big difference. Rancho RS5000Xs have quite the following here and are known for their smooth ride.

Not considered. The 35s are rough and hard onnthe jeep.
I think the roughness is the rough country shocks, not 35’s. If I had a rough country lift the first things on my list would be Rancho 5000x shocks

Reactions: TimboSlice
I changed to the RS5000x shocks..... What difference! Made for a lot better ride. I was even hitting bumps and pot holes on purpose right after I put them on...and it was not as harsh as it was before.... Smoothed out a lot!

You are on the right track...I love Silverton and the western slope also. 33 will look good and help the gearing , 4:56 or or 4:88 will amaze you.

I have a 2" OME HD lift (which is probably closer to 2.5"), and a 1.25" body lift. I got BFG KO2 33 x 10.5. For me, there is plenty of clearance. The 31's wouldn't have looked right for me.

Gearing is an issue. I have 3.55 gears and a 5-speed MT, and it's pretty gutless now. Going to get 4.56 gears in the very near future.

IMG_1131.jpg

Reactions: Alex01
The BFG KO2 is a fantastic all around tire. The Goodyear Duratrac is also an amazing tire. I had the Duratracs on my Rubicon and those seriously have to be the most amazing tires ever. They perform excellent in the packed snow, mud, rain, and just about everything else.

I have nothing but praise for the Duratrac. I would run them until the day I die, but unfortunately they don't make them in a true 35X12.50R17 size.

If I were you I'd stick with a 33", which will be the right size for that lift. In addition, keep the tires between 26-28 psi, or you're going to have one hell of a rough ride.

You've pretty much sold me on getting Duratracs when I can afford new tires - hopefully I'll be getting those with my tax refund. I'm just concerned about issues with balancing and the sidewalls from reading other reviews.

What a nice looking TJ. Best color in my opinion. It doesnt look like anything was ever hard on that Jeep. Im tempted to photoshop my face on your picture standing next to it.

I want to get this right. If I am going to change the shocks, what about reducing the lift to 2 or 2.5 suspension? What would I need to change and would that be right for 31s. Would the double caridon shaft still be good?

I want to get this right. If I am going to change the shocks, what about reducing the lift to 2 or 2.5 suspension? What would I need to change and would that be right for 31s. Would the double caridon shaft still be good?

Can I ask you this? What are your intentions with this TJ? Are you trail riding it or taking it out for ice cream? If you are trail riding it, in what conditions? You can do both as well, I do. Reason i say this, if your going to be working the suspension, your on the right track to getting rid of the rough country, the lift consists of control arms,springs, and shocks. As well as steering components. Tire pressure is huge as well, for ride quality. If this isnt going to be in a offroad atmosphere we can help guide you on ways your machine will be just fine without buying extreme components you wont really potentially use.

Last edited:
I would go 33x10.50 and try to find a load range C tire. Do a chalk test to determine the proper tire pressures for your jeep and tire. It will help you get the best ride and wear out of them. A 32 is basically a stock tire size for that jeep.