Tire advice

Getting read to get after the body mounts. At least half need replacement. I was considering the crown automotive set. Any views on good replacements without lift?

You are sure correct on the body mounts weathered. I will get those out and learn about bump stop setting. Those rc shocks are rough.
When I was putting on a body lift (I was wanting to go taller, not shorter) I also replaced my body mounts too. I got the Crown rubber body mount set. My original ones were not as worn as yours, but they were pretty rigid after 21 years of life.

I changed a bunch of other stuff so I don’t know if I can feel a difference due to the new mounts. But since I was already doing the other work, I figured the extra $100 was worth it for the future.

Reactions: Ron Hall
When I was putting on a body lift (I was wanting to go taller, not shorter) I also replaced my body mounts too. I got the Crown rubber body mount set. My original ones were not as worn as yours, but they were pretty rigid after 21 years of life.

I changed a bunch of other stuff so I don’t know if I can feel a difference due to the new mounts. But since I was already doing the other work, I figured the extra $100 was worth it for the future.

At least these are going to be pretty easy because the body lift is fairly recent. I appreciate your reply and think I will get the Crown set ordered.

At least these are going to be pretty easy because the body lift is fairly recent. I appreciate your reply and think I will get the Crown set ordered.
4466B503-43BB-418B-BED3-E744966A3B6D.jpeg
4466B503-43BB-418B-BED3-E744966A3B6D.jpeg Is the bolt-on bracket under the cushion part of the body lift?

A few things to keep in mind:
  • The Crown set I linked does not come with bolts. So, if you’re going to keep the body lift, then you can reuse those bolts. If not, then you’ll need the stock length bolts.
  • Using Anti-seize on the bolts is generally a good idea, especially for those bolts that go into the frame and aren’t visible. Having broken one before, I can tell you it’s a pain to fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Hall
I think all that would need to be done is to reposition the fan shroud.
Would that actually work?

In this case of removing the BL, but keeping the MML, you'd have to move the fan shroud UP, which seems like it would extend above the top of the radiator, which could be a bit weird. From mine (see picture), the top of the shroud is pretty aligned with the top of the radiator. If that was moved up 1", that might get strange.

If that's the case, perhaps removing the MML would be the right thing if removing the body lift. That's my guess, but I'll defer to more experienced folks on that.

One thing to also note if you remove the body lift is that you'll likely have to shorten the gas filler tube. You should be able to do that with the existing pieces, and moving them together in the middle and/or the gas take. It's highly likely that they extended them when they installed the body lift.

IMG_1566.jpg

It seems like a snake den. No matter which way you move you get bit. Before I do any thing, i am going to measure all my angles. I will also look at what is extended besides the brake lines. The 33s really improved the drivability, but I don’t want or need a 5 1/2 inch total lift. I am going to replace the body bushings when i get this figured out, but I definately need a master plan on reducing that total lift.

2.5-3" with the body lift. My standard recommendation is to do what it takes to maintain a minimum of factory 4" of suspension up travel.

Correct. In addition to... :)[
If I go with teraflex springs
Correct. In addition to... :)
If I go with a 2.5 lift on my tj, I will probably end up with rough country springs. In teraflex my choices are 2 inch or 3 inch for
a TJ. I think OME is the same. My body lift is 1.25. With the BL would the 2 inch be cutting it too close on my 33s.

If I go with a 2.5 lift on my tj, I will probably end up with rough country springs. In teraflex my choices are 2 inch or 3 inch for
a TJ. I think OME is the same. My body lift is 1.25. With the BL would the 2 inch be cutting it too close on my 33s.

If the BL is 1.25", then closer to 2.5-3" of spring is preferable. The issue is the bump stop requirements for 33s. You need about 1.5" of extension to keep the front tires out of the sheet metal at full flex and at least 1" to protect the rear shocks from over compressing.