TJ brake issue

grabeb

TJ Enthusiast
Last night I went to rotate the tires on our 01 Sport. It's pretty stock. Decided I should check the brakes while at it.

There was a lot of dust, but they appeared ok for the most part, I figured they'd get us through summer no more than my daughter drives it. I sprayed the dust out with compressor, then lubed the drum hardware and brake cleaned the pads. I put the drums back on the rear, and put tires back on.

Tonight I had to move it and sounds like a tire is sticking and something is creaking. My daughter failed to tell me this and despite knowing better, I didn't drive it after messing with last night as I didn't really change anything.

The passenger rear was really grimy looking prior to this, which is why I cleaned them all.

Any clue what I did? I've changed many brakes never had this happen. I guess I'll go ahead and get all new pads and I'm debating new rotors and drums depending on cost of new vs turning.

I've been eyeing power stop brakes for my yukon and they appear cheaper for the tj, than the brake select or ac Delco stuff at O'Reilly. Thoughts? Not sure if daughter should drive this until I figure out what the heck is going on.

I'd jack up one wheel at a time and investigate. Spin 'em and see. If the pads and rotors look good, why replace ? (or drums and shoes, as the case may be)
Good Luck

I'd jack up one wheel at a time and investigate. Spin 'em and see. If the pads and rotors look good, why replace ? (or drums and shoes, as the case may be)
Good Luck

I'm sure it's the passenger side. It looked nasty in there and there are signs of cracking on several pads. My 16yr old daughter drives this car, not a gamble I want to take. 21yr old vehicle, it's getting all new brakes.

Reactions: Matt131
Rear drums all replaced, new hardware, new brake cylinders. I'm bleed tomorrow, ran out of evening looking for my vacuum tool.

I'll update, that when I went to pull drums off, they were really tight. They went on ok, but I'm thinking something out of whack and I think I also just had to add some fluid within last month. The way the rear passenger looked something was up, so while back in it easier to know they're good.

I am curious why the old brakes were grooved down the middle? Not only the shoes, but the drums as well. Replacements are not. Neighbor winners of designed to shed water..... interesting thought. Not sure I've ever seen that before.

If grimy means shiny or wet looking, you may have a leaky wheel cylinder seal.

If grimy means shiny or wet looking, you may have a leaky wheel cylinder seal.

There was lots of brake dust in both, this one looked like it had been splattered. I think high probability wheel cylinder was leaking and mixing with the dust.

Again replaced everything, wasn't worth the going back.

I don't recall seeing any signs around the axle seal, but I'll check diff fluid again next time up on lift. I am leaning towards cylinder as I had to add brake fluid recently.

if you had to add brake fluid, then it's most likely the cylinder. Dana 35's have a nice habit of puking axle seals and contaminating the brake shoes.