TJ Cabin Filter

RubiconMan

I got tired of all the dust blowing in when I turned on the fan in my TJ. I removed the cowl and then the air box. I measured the opening and found a air filter at Tractor Supply that needed a small modification. Here is the result.

TJ Cabin Filter.jpg

Great idea, there's always a lot of dust where I wheel so that's now on my to-do list. I always had to remember to shut the HVAC system off in such conditions, that will help a lot. Thanks! 💪

Reactions: D M and Weasellee
I got tired of all the dust blowing in when I turned on the fan in my TJ. I removed the cowl and then the air box. I measured the opening and found a air filter at Tractor Supply that needed a small modification. Here is the result.

View attachment 240325

What size filter did you use so we don't have to reinvent the wheel?

Reactions: qslim
Great idea! I blew a ridiculous amount of dust out of my vents cleaning it all up last fall.

View attachment 240325
I’d thought about fabricating a filter holder to do the very same thing.

I’d be interested in the part number for that filter if you’ve got it.

Reactions: Ephry73
I did this a few years back and I'm very happy with it. Only took one face full of dust after cranking up max a/c the next day after wheeling a dusty trail. I change it periodically and it's usually pretty nasty.

Just a heads up back around 2000 Ford put an external filter under the cowl like that on the Lincoln town cars. They ended up having a problem with them getting wet and then growing mold causing odor and allergy problems with a lot of customers. They ended up sending dealers a TSB on the issue and having them pull the filters anytime they were in for service. I can see this location having the same possibility for issues so just be aware and keep an eye on it.

Just a heads up back around 2000 Ford put an external filter under the cowl like that on the Lincoln town cars. They ended up having a problem with them getting wet and then growing mold causing odor and allergy problems with a lot of customers. They ended up sending dealers a TSB on the issue and having them pull the filters anytime they were in for service. I can see this location having the same possibility for issues so just be aware and keep an eye on it.
True. A filter in that spot would only work when the weather’s dry.

A wet filter there would essentially block air going into the heat/AC system.

Unless you built a cowl around it.

Mine has never shown signs of getting wet. Water would have to blow in at a pretty crazy angle to touch it. That same angle would result in water getting in to your hvac system.

Reactions: Farmergreg
Mine has never shown signs of getting wet. Water would have to blow in at a pretty crazy angle to touch it. That same angle would result in water getting in to your hvac system.
That’s good to know. Adding a filter’s definitely on my to-do list, but I’m still interested in isolating it from any chance of getting wet.

And if you’re not having any problems with an exposed element, shrouding it should make it bulletproof!

If your drain for the cowl gets clogged up water could back up and get the filter wet. Even without the filter I think som have had water get in the cab for the same reason. So I guess keep an eye on your cowl drain with or without a filter.

While I had the cowl open fixing that issue is actually when I put the filter in the first time lol. Yup, gotta keep an eye on that.

Thanks for the inspiration! Normally we don't have a dust issue here in the midwest.
After following the group on trails out in AZ, first time turning the blower fan a heinous amount of dust engulfed the interior.

Do your recall the part number for the filter?

I don't, but I'll dig around. Honestly though, I just measured the opening, then went to Walmart and started looking at filters. Found one that was close, then trimmed it a little to fit and rtv'd it in place. Remember earlier year models like mine don't have the hood the later years do. You will need to do a little fabbing but it's worth it for sure.

I will also add I installed the foam prefilter for the first time this last time and don't recommend it. It affects sure flow noticably.

Looking at the duct tape in OP (proof of concept), maybe a couple of light (29ga) angles bent from aluminum trim coil could secure it in place.