TJ doors and mirrors: Early vs late mode compatibility

Viking Jeeper

2A Supporter
Supporting Member
I know the factory mirrors changed at some time, I think it was 2003. Are early mirrors compatible with late doors and vice versa? Are any mods needed to make them work?

What about early doors vs late doors? Since the mirrors changed, I wonder if there are any differences between early and late doors. Are early doors compatible with late TJs and vice versa? Are any mods needed to make them work?

I recently bought mirror relocation brackets and they had different part numbers for 97-02 vs 03-06.

That's what I'm doing with mine.

They are older style ('97 based on the style of seal it had, thanks @toximus ). I'm putting newer style seals and newer style mirrors on them, They are at a buddy's house right now waiting for some better weather so he can paint them. I've already repaired some cracks on the interior panels but still need to paint them and buy some new upper skins. Got them for $300 with some TLC needed.

Reactions: Tob
I can tell you there are at least 2 different sizes of the lock cylinders. I don't know what year they changed but the lock cylinders that came on my '05 are different (larger, IIRC) than those I found in the half doors I bought from an unknown, probably earlier year.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
My (‘97) half door cylinders are smaller than my (‘06) full door cylinders.

Does that have any real negative effect?

I don’t think so. I rekeyed the ones that come with the half doors to match my key. It was pretty easy. Not necessary and a lot don’t do it because it’s not like soft top and uppers are the secures thing, but I did it because I just wanted it to work like it should.

There is a picture of the size different in this thread.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-re-key-half-door-lock-cylinders.26338/

Reactions: Tob and TheGanzman