TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you will hear stories of guys doing it on 33's with minimal winching and they may be right. I'm erroring on the side of caution because I can't afford to fix it 😉
lol, with my first TJ I did Pritchett on 33" tires - detroit lockers on both axles. That was the only trip where I successfully navigated Rocker Knocker without assistance from a strap or winch. It also happens to be the only time I ran Pritchett on 33" tires. It was a small group of about 6 rigs and there weren't any other groups on the trail. We actually turned around at the top of the hill immediately following Rocker Knocker.

I ran Pritchett a couple other times and never was able to climb Rocker Knocker on the 35" Krawlers I had. Part of that was due to group size - it was during EJS and the groups were pretty big - bigger than what they are allowing nowadays it seems. People got 3 or 4 tries before they got the strap or winch. You have to get the right line to clear that obstacle.

lol, with my first TJ I did Pritchett on 33" tires - detroit lockers on both axles. That was the only trip where I successfully navigated Rocker Knocker without assistance from a strap or winch. It also happens to be the only time I ran Pritchett on 33" tires. It was a small group of about 6 rigs and there weren't any other groups on the trail. We actually turned around at the top of the hill immediately following Rocker Knocker.

I ran Pritchett a couple other times and never was able to climb Rocker Knocker on the 35" Krawlers I had. Part of that was due to group size - it was during EJS and the groups were pretty big - bigger than what they are allowing nowadays it seems. People got 3 or 4 tries before they got the strap or winch. You have to get the right line to clear that obstacle.
These days EJS limits Pritchett to 15 vehicles during the organized rides (I believe the other trails are 20 or 25), and you have to have at least 37's to sign up to run the trail with the organized group.

I didn’t see them in the cheap Cherokee video
Well, video and stills never do anything justice, but they are there.

Here is Rocker Knocker which @BlackSheep referenced.

Easter Jeep Safari 2018 2760.JPG

Easter Jeep Safari 2018 2757.JPG

Son of Rock Pile has a nice ledge...

Easter Jeep Safari 2018 3055.jpg

And there are ledges just strewn about on the regular trail just getting from one obstacle to another...

Easter Jeep Safari 2018 2056.jpg

There is a reason that Red Rock rates Pritchett a 9. It's not for the faint of heart.

View attachment 230414
View attachment 230413

View attachment 230417

And there are ledges just strewn about on the regular trail just getting from one obstacle to another...

View attachment 230416

There is a reason that Red Rock rates Pritchett a 9. It's not for the faint of heart.
I think GRDLOC rolled at the entrance to Pritchett in a video I saw a couple months ago, on a little ledge that shouldn’t have been anything.

View attachment 230414
View attachment 230413

View attachment 230417

View attachment 230416

I feel so...inadequate, with my tiny 35's. 😔

Here's the original BlackSheep on Rocker Knocker on 33s. Ok, seems I did have some assistance.
BlackSheep RockerKnocker 1.jpg

BlackSheep RockerKnocker 2.jpg

BlackSheep RockerKnocker 3.jpg

Here's a shot of the obstacle. This was in 2002 so I'm sure it's changed a little over the years.

This is Rocker Knocker.JPG

I have a shot somewhere of me coming down Rocker Knocker. Not finding it right now.

Trail List for me would be

Seven Mile Rim
Elephant Hill
Fins
Hells Revenge
Top of the World

The daughter and I always spend a day hiking to different arches. I would also be up for helping anyone New to Moab.
I also know my LJ can probably do more than the dumbass driving it..
We will definitely be greenies...First timers for sure, but My Dad & I are definitely in/flights booked/camping at funstays. We weren't able to bring the TJ this time, but we rented a jeep from one of the local shops. Whatever trails we can't drive, we'd greatly appreciate being able to ride along and I volunteer to take photos/videos for anyone and be of any help that I can. We are so excited and looking forward to this father/daughter jeep trip!

Ok I’m not much with computers so I’m throwing this out there I dont know how to link up for rides as I’m coming from California by myself ,my wife will do the easy but no hard core I’m good with moderate. I also mountain bike also not crazy stuff I’m aged challenged so a little slow but look great! Lol. Anyway email is jdubbigdaddy @yahoo.com Send an email if your on the same page and you know when there’s a b ride or atrail to be driven that sounds good. looking forward to good times.
I might be interested-

Reactions: Apparition
Tonight I worked on the radio frequency list for everyone buying one of those $35 Baofeng UV-5R and currently have 117 channels inputted. I will be programming your radios in Moab at no charge. The channels these radios will have are thus...

All 22 FRS Channels
All 30 GMRS Channels including repeaters
All 5 MURS VHF Channels
All 7 National Weather Channels
All KOH frequencies
All 45ish Rugged Radios pre-programmed race frequencies including Baja
3 - Moab ham radio repeaters (but transmit has been disabled unless you have a ham radio license)
Special "TJ FEST" frequency IF Chris wants to use it. (Its GMRS 17 with a DCS code 65. You will only hear TJ Fest people with GMRS radios on this channel...sorry CB and VHF)

I can do special requests on extra frequencies (your race team frequency for example) if you want them.

If you have a radio OTHER than the UV-5R and I have the right cable on hand I'll need to download the software but you are paying for it ($25)! Since you paid for it its yours to keep and all you need to do is buy your own cable when you get home and you can program your own radios. If you already have RT Systems software for your radio I'll give you the programming file in Moab.

I can program the Rugged Radios V2 and V3 radios as well. Rugged has a pink V3 for those who just have to have it.

Any questions thus far?

Tonight I worked on the radio frequency list for everyone buying one of those $35 Baofeng UV-5R and currently have 117 channels inputted. I will be programming your radios in Moab at no charge. The channels these radios will have are thus...

All 22 FRS Channels
All 5 MURS VHF Channels
All KOH frequencies
3 - Moab ham radio repeaters (but transmit has been disabled unless you have a ham radio license)
Special "TJ FEST" frequency IF Chris wants to use it. (Its GMRS 17 with a DCS code 65. You will only hear TJ Fest people with GMRS radios on this channel...sorry CB and VHF)

I can do special requests on extra frequencies (your race team frequency for example) if you want them.

If you have a radio OTHER than the UV-5R and I have the right cable on hand I'll need to download the software but you are paying for it ($25)! Since you paid for it its yours to keep and all you need to do is buy your own cable when you get home and you can program your own radios. If you already have RT Systems software for your radio I'll give you the programming file in Moab.

I can program the Rugged Radios V2 and V3 radios as well. Rugged has a pink V3 for those who just have to have it.

Any questions thus far?
That's cool man. Thanks. I have the UV-5R and my General license (KN4WXV)! I'm relatively inexperienced despite the General license. One of my goals over the next months is to get more experience with my setup. In my van I have an Icom 7100 with a Baby Tarheel.

Reactions: D M
That's cool man. Thanks. I have the UV-5R and my General license (KN4WXV)! I'm relatively inexperienced despite the General license. One of my goals over the next months is to get more experience with my setup. In my van I have an Icom 7100 with a Baby Tarheel.
This is awesome. If the Tarheel will do 40 meters, tune in every day on 7.191MHz at 0700 or 0800 EST and tune into the International RV Net. Blaine will say its gay, but its a good way to communicate with other people in RV's all over the USA. You'll learn more about radio and propagation and get tips for operating HF in the mobile. Enough of this on here or that pretzel eating jjvw will ask that it get deleted. Message me if you have questions.

All 22 FRS Channels
All 5 MURS VHF Channels
All KOH frequencies

Any questions thus far?
Why, that's mighty neighborly of ya, pardner!

I was seriously thinking about one of these to go along with my mobile/mounted unit to act as a loaner/spotter but have not done a deep dive into it's abilities. Does it have the ability to save a channel settings profile to a file that could then be uploaded into another unit? If so, could you supply such a file in advance so that we would not all be vying for your limited time to get our units programmed at TJ Fest?

Status
Not open for further replies.