TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scenes like that make me wonder why I'm going... I already have a healthy fear of heights :/ thanks for sharing?!??!

I'm personally not a fan of real off camber moments, but I can deal with them when the drop is not too far :D I think I'll be a bit terrified driving all the way up that ledge
That was purely a driver problem there.

We’ll take it easy and keep everyone as safe as possible.

Heights don’t bother me but the gf is afraid of them and can’t wait to hit the trails again.

Reactions: Dino - KX6D
Having newly installed ARBs but not knowing about disconnecting, I nearly cashed it in right there in my XJ back in '04. I approached the step perpendicular which ends up placing the left (down hill) tire first. Right rear rose 5 feet, teeter tottering just about to roll over. I locked the axles, backed up, then reapproached the step with the uphill (right tire) stepping off first. What's weird is the correct approach to that step tips your passenger outward a little toward the cliff as you then place the left (down hill) tire off the step, keeping front level (right to left) in relation to the downhill route as you're also turning into the down hill camber of the trail. If you do this like I first did it and the roll momentum is enough to go over and off the trail, you won't stop until the ledge 150 feet below catches you just above the telephone poles. The approach to the Z turn is much steeper than it seems when ascending. I've done the Rim 4 times after that, descending once at night. Disconnect when you arrive at Moab; reconnect when you leave.
This is the beauty of the Currie Anti-Rock. It affords the flexibility of being disconnected while still providing body control that will keep you upright. As I read your post, staying connected is what caused you to tip. Disconnecting allowed you to flex through it...along with your new approach angles. But being 100% disconnected can also have negative affects. Nice job working through it!

Reactions: HardSell

image.jpg

Scenes like that make me wonder why I'm going... I already have a healthy fear of heights :/ thanks for sharing?!??!

I'm personally not a fan of real off camber moments, but I can deal with them when the drop is not too far :D I think I'll be a bit terrified driving all the way up that ledge
There will be plenty of people there taking it easy, myself included with the wife & kids in the car. There's plenty to do/see in Moab without going crazy.

There will be plenty of people there taking it easy, myself included with the wife & kids in the car. There's plenty to do/see in Moab without going crazy.
That's just it... I WANT to do the hard stuff... I'm just terrified of it :) One of those has to win... usually doing the trail wins... I just whimper like a baby while doing it LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: rasband
I thought this video was gonna be an accident at about 1:45 in.
Great video! Scary! Hard for me to believe how easily my old Cherokee 5sp climbed the Rim on 31s, at least when the ARBs chose to engage. God, I miss that car! @ 8:30: Can't say enough about those half doors... love 'em!

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition
They're surprisingly weak, I've heard more than once that if you actually torque them to spec they're done anyway...

After I fooled around with vice grips and other nonsense for 30 mins I went to the hardware store and bought an Irwin’s extractor tool for $20, job done in 30 seconds.

After I fooled around with vice grips and other nonsense for 30 mins I went to the hardware store and bought an Irwin’s extractor tool for $20, job done in 30 seconds.
It happens too often to me where I am set on my plan and waste an hour or two on trying to force it to work... then when I step away and either realize another way may work better or a tool exists to solve my problem it's done quickly like yours was!

Reactions: Tob and HardSell
I did about the exact same thing and then about 30 minutes later drilling it I went and bought a new tap and die set. Should have stoped and bought an extractor too

I swapped 3 out of 4 O2 sensors but the bank2/sensor1 won’t budge and I started rounding the nut, even using the special tool and tons of penetrating spray. I’m just gonna leave it there for Moab. My CEL is off for now and it’s running nicely.

Reactions: Dino - KX6D
won’t budge and I started rounding the nut, even using the special tool and tons of penetrating spray
You're gonna have to heat it. I heated mine, Required a 3/8 breaker bar and the socket tool to finally loosen it, cracking the neck at the Bank 2 Cat. Fixed the 0420 but then the P2098 pops up showing the resulting exhaust leak. I may need to replace the entire assembly, but before doing that, a smear of exhaust paste always worked for me on the Cherokee. Will post somewhere if that works. Be sure to use anti sieze paste when replacing O2 sensors. Most don't, then trade their TJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.