TJ Frame Repair

robo512

My Jeep has developed rust holes in between all 4 lower control arm mounts. It is not my daily so I am planning on putting it down for the winter to address this issue along with a long list of other issues including knocking engine, worn transmission synchros, rusty body mounts, etc. I was looking into the safe T caps to repair the frame myself, and I found an off-brand kit on Amazon for $500 to repair all 4 mounts and the center sections for the skid plate mount. Are The off-brand (ebay) frame repair patches any good? Or do I need to bite the bullet and buy the name brand? I am planning on pulling the tub so I'm not worried about difficulty accessing the frame.

It's steel.
I'd find out the thickness and if there are any bends from the mfg...that could be a problem.

Amazon is not the auto parts source friend that people want them to be. Im in business and see the shit all the time.

After saying all that this will be more about your welding skill than the material.

Good luck

some tube, a set of body mounts and a handful of nutserts could rebuild it for 1/2 that.

I used all Safe T caps when I did my frame repairs. A good friend of mine started with the knockoff parts on Amazon and ended up switching over to Safe T caps. The Chinese parts work "ok" but do require alot of fine tuning to get them to fit properly. The Safe T caps are built more precisely and fit very well right out of the box. My buddy's lesson learned was "you get what you pay for."

Reactions: 1o1proof
Depending on how involved the rust is in the bends of the frame could be that the SafeT caps are worth the aggravation saved. And also depending g on your metal fabrication and welding skills too. As a general rule I personally try to avoid Ebay for most things. Others love shopping there. I guess I prefer the brands I've known and used for years over the grab bag of surprises that EBay might provide.

Reactions: 1o1proof and SvtLdr
Depending on how involved the rust is in the bends of the frame could be that the SafeT caps are worth the aggravation saved. And also depending g on your metal fabrication and welding skills too. As a general rule I personally try to avoid Ebay for most things. Others love shopping there. I guess I prefer the brands I've known and used for years over the grab bag of surprises that EBay might provide.
^^^ This is so true!

Pocono are solid I have them for my middle sections and Safteycap for trail arm sections.

Thanks for all of the input. I just looked at Pocono's website and for all 6 pieces its about $500. I might not even have to do the center section, I already modified the frame to delete the nutserts a few years ago and the frame was solid there then so I'll just have to decide what to order once I get the body off. Has anyone done body mount repairs with the pieces they sell? I have a few that are rotted out

Thanks for all of the input. I just looked at Pocono's website and for all 6 pieces its about $500. I might not even have to do the center section, I already modified the frame to delete the nutserts a few years ago and the frame was solid there then so I'll just have to decide what to order once I get the body off. Has anyone done body mount repairs with the pieces they sell? I have a few that are rotted out
I used it for my middle body mount on the tub/torque box. Fit good. Is that what you are talking about?

20200730_142542.jpg

Here is a pic before I tack welded and painted. Drove like 2 weeks like that before tack welding. The middle frame sections you can also see in the pic.

Reactions: mxz800
Looks solid! I'm in the middle of taking the body off the frame now. I'll assess what I need and order it all from pocono

Hell, I'm almost half thinking maybe if they sell enough to replace an entire frame. Some guys up here in the salt states might be better off creating a whole new frame 🤔