TJ Glovebox Light Install

Great thread. I went a little different way and used a sticky sided LED light and stuck it on the inside. Used a 2 pin connector so it’s easy to remove the glove box When needed. Quick little handy project.

D2D0F9AE-1315-4977-87D9-04DAE1A20874.jpeg

DA9E369A-4D84-49C4-B7F8-1EA7BDBA6FD5.jpeg

A496088E-EC63-4522-ABCF-3F652DDCD246.jpeg

Whenever I throw something out, old hard drive, cassette player or whatever it is, I pull them to bits to see how they work and keep all the screws and usefull parts. They were from that jar. I will measure one of the screws tomorrow sometime and let you know. They aren't very long, just screw into the plastic, they don't go through into the metal as I think that's where the air bag is somewhere, and I thought I probably shouldn't drill into that! Another option is to use some contact cement or silicon to hold the LED in place. I found the double sided tape made the whole thing a little bit too thick that's why I used the screws. If I didn't find the screws, I would have used a smear of silicon to hold the LED in place.
Very nice! I'm pretty meticulous myself with things like this. Very clean install.👍

I see you have gotten it sorted out now (awesome job, btw), but I wanted to share this, as it's something that I use and find it to make for an extra little touch for a clean install.
IMG_5360-1.jpg

Just search for "nylon tie-down saddle", or simply "zip tie mount". Either one will pull up the results you need.

I'm the same way with stashing away bits and pieces from other electronics. Some things that many people toss in the trash have some very used internal parts that would otherwise be costly to purchase. I've recently discovered that common ink printers have solid stainless steel rods, roughly 12" in length. Just FYI.🤓

Last edited:
Reactions: Maso
Well, an update after 5 years, I still have the Jeep and the glovebox light works like day one. I have not had one problem or any issues with it. Quite happy with that!

wow Has it been 5 years already !!!.😲.. I remember when you posted that.
Glad to hear you still have the TJ and the light is still doing its thing.

Reactions: Maso
Well, an update after 5 years, I still have the Jeep and the glovebox light works like day one. I have not had one problem or any issues with it. Quite happy with that!

I followed your write up a few years ago. Mine is still working flawlessly as well…

Reactions: CES22, Maso and JMT
I had been looking around for a while for a light for my 2006 TJ's glovebox, without much luck.
So I thought it was time I did it myself. I sat in the Jeep for a long time going over different options, where to put the switch, what type of light to use, where it was going to go. That was the biggest problem, it had to actually throw light in the glovebox when it was opened. The only option I could see was right in front of the latch where the glovebox shuts. Next problem, wasn't a lot of room there. I eventually found a hard plastic LED strip on ebay for $1.00. The dimentions for the LED strip is 75mm x 13mm and 6mm thick, perfect size. The LED is held on by two small screws, they just screw into the plastic. Then I had to work out how to activate the light when the glovebox was opened. I ended up going for one of those aftermarket car door switches. It has a long black plunger on it and you just cut it to your desired length. I decided to use constant power which I took from the number 2 fuse in the fuse panel behind the glovebox. I used a mini fuse tap and a 3 amp fuse as that is the smallest I have. So, I have power going from the mini fuse tap to the positive wire on the light, then the negative wire from the light goes through another 3 amp fuse to the swtich. When the glovebox is opened the switch makes contact with ground and the light comes on.
My TJ is Right Hand Drive, if you are wondering about the photos.

View attachment 24184

View attachment 24185 View attachment 24186 View attachment 24187 View attachment 24188 View attachment 24189 View attachment 24190 View attachment 24191 View attachment 24192 View attachment 24193 View attachment 24194

SO sorry to necro this, but I am trying to do a similar mod in my car. Question about the door jamb switch, negative lead from the light goes to the lead on the door jamb switch, then is there something going to ground?

SO sorry to necro this, but I am trying to do a similar mod in my car. Question about the door jamb switch, negative lead from the light goes to the lead on the door jamb switch, then is there something going to ground?

Hello, there should only be 2 leads; red or positive wire to your voltage supply though the fuse and the black or negative wire to the door jamb switch you just installed to ground; that way when you open the glovebox the switch is deactivated or de-pressed and the signal goes to ground closing the circuit and turning on the led strip; if you have a picture of your installation or the items you want to install I can help guide you or recommend a YT video to help; is an easy install even if you don't have electrical background so you should be OK