TJ owners know it all

Instead of wasting time trying to satisfy CAFE and Euro buyers (That's what Renegade, Compass & Patriot are for), with the near worthless option of a 2.0 with turbo, I can say without doubt that many more potential buyers would like to check the engine option box for a Hemi or real Diesel power over that Turd-point-Ohh for sure......

FCA still hasn't figured out what will put Wrangler sales over the top and take a larger share of the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/Expidition/Sequoia/Pilot sales over to the Wrangler column.......

Hint: It's what the Jeep buying public have been asking for for almost 2 decades now and none of the parent companies to Jeep have figured it out yet.

Answer: (Hemi V8 & Diesel 50 states approved)

RR

I love my TJ Wrangler that has been converted to V8 power but........

We as Wrangler TJ owners don't want the Jeep Wrangler model and brand to go extinct like so many other car brands and models have in recent times do we? (Example: Hummer brand, perhaps the closest competition to Jeep that has gone away in recent times). Should Jeep become something easily forgotten in the annals of history? I wouldn't like to see that.

I mean let us not mince words here.

This is directed squarely at FCA, if the decision makers over there are even listening at this point:

The only way a guy like me is going to trade in my paid for JKUR for a new JLUR that costs well north of $60k price tag wise is if it comes with the engines we as consumers and loyal multiple repeat customers DEMAND FROM THE FACTORY!

No more B.S. here FCA.

For 15+ years since the TJ Wrangler days, we Jeep Wrangler buyers have been promised a future Diesel engine and performance V8 options that have NEVER materialized. We Jeep owners have had to convert our vehicles ourselves or spend tens of thousands on AEV or Burns conversions to have it done for us. This is ridiculous for a vehicle that makes FCA such a profit as a global brand icon that is the essence of what JEEP BRAND IS and a best seller to boot.

Put frankly: Sh!t or get off the pot FCA.

Pull the trigger on the HEMI V8 option in a JL/JLUR. For that matter, make the ultimate decision like you did for the CHALLENGER HELLCAT. If you can build a freakin' HELLCAT for the masses then why the hell don't you build the ultimate off-road Jeep package with the HEMI V8 & 1-Ton Dana Spicer Ultimate 60's under it?!?!?!

What gives FCA?

FCA owns a majority stake in Ferrari that makes some of the ultimate sports cars to ever be built anywhere.
They also build one of the most economical budget cars available, their 500.

Why won't FCA give Jeepers what they REALLY REALLY WANT IN A WRANGLER then? There is NO law on the books that says they can't do it so JUST DO IT FCA!!!! NOW!!!!! TODAY!!!!

Make the ultimate almost cult like loyalty fan based vehicle upgrade decision and build it from the factory!

Remember the line: "If you build it, they will come!" Well NOW IS THE TIME! For goodness sake FCA.

A check box for the HEMI 5.7, doesn't even have to be the big-bad 6.4 although people would select it if they could. Heck, you could offer the hopped-up 6.4 on Dana Spicer Ultimate 60's with NO WARRANTY and people will probably even still buy it in large enough numbers to support it!

A check box for the 3.0L Eco Diesel at least or better yet, make a deal with Cummins for one of their new generation Diesels. Nissan and other companies are starting to do this. Jeep people are spending almost 10 Grand for the 2.8 Cummins conversion re-power on their Wranglers so why not?

Until FCA makes this decision, they will not realize just how sky high the JL series Wrangler sales could go.

Why?

Because someone stepping from a full-size SUV or truck such as the Chevy Tahoe, Cadillac Escalade, GMC Yukon or Ford Expedition that comes from the factory with a healthy V8 will never give up that power for a Wrangler. No matter how iconic the Jeep Wrangler brand is with these 4 cylinder and 3.4 Penta anemic engine choices customers are locked into, FCA won't capture these brand switching buyers and potential new Jeep Wrangler owners, PERIOD.

As a Jeep brand loyalist and 12 time Jeep owner, my patience is wearing thin with FCA and my next vehicle may just be a new Tahoe/Yukon or even a direct competitor like the new generation Bronco or Ranger truck instead of the anemic powered JLUR. Heck even customers coming from import cars won't switch because they are used to the power of the engines sized correctly for it's application. Jeep has failed in this department with the Wrangler thus far. Instead of computer controlled steering and other problematic upgrades that are unnecessary for the brand with the type of customers who buy them, PUT THE DAMN HEMI ENGINE WITH GOOD TRANSMISSIONS WE DEMAND IN THE WRANGLER NOW!

Sorry for the rant folks but to truly tie it into this thread properly TJ owners really do know it all when it comes to Jeep culture and the ways of the Wrangler!

Rant-OFF

RR

Reactions: Chapman4266
Funny, because I too have noticed this. I'm not saying every TJ owner knows it all, but it seems that more TJ owners are in tune with their Jeep and know more about them than the average JK / JL owner. I of course equate this to the fact that with the introduction of the 4-door model Wranglers, the Jeep Wrangler became an "SUV" of sorts, which is now marketed and heavily purchased by would-be SUV drivers.

The people who would once be driving Honda CR-Vs or Suburbans are now driving Wranglers. Of course there's nothing wrong with that, but what it means is that the Wrangler has now become a mainstream vehicle as oppose to a "niche" or "specialty" vehicle like it once was with the TJ.

I mean I'm sorry, but I highly doubt that the majority of TJ buyers were buying them with the intention of making them long commute vehicles, family vehicles, etc. They just aren't practical for that purpose.

The TJ is a classic. It does not meet the needs of many but does meet the needs of a specific group. It took me awhile to learn some of the unique handling characteristics when I got mine. I have looked at new Jeeps on the dealer lot and they just don't have the same appeal. Mine was never intended to be a long commute or family vehicle but rather a recreational vehicle that can be taken off road.

As I peruse the Craigslist, marketplace, and other for sale sites, I have come to notice that JK/JL owners in general know nothing about their Jeeps or assume it doesn’t matter. If I see a post without year, model, price, etc., I know immediately it is for a JK/JL. I guess they think they are the only ones. Sometimes it just says Jeep parts. If it is from or for a CJ, YJ, TJ it always says so. We are more specific about our sales. I know we have a bunch of guys on here that also have JK/JL Jeeps. I have no doubt that those parts would have the proper info. It just drives me nuts when price or year is not posted. You have to enter a number for at least price before you can post! Ok. I’m finished whining.
Great observation... that is very interesting.. a few years ago when I thought I wanted to buy another Jeep I went for a jk.. I had it for 2 years, gave to my son and bought a tj👍🏻.. anyway I remember laughing when I pulled in dealership and the salesman said what can I do for you and I said I was wanted to look at a Jk. He said what is that.. I said a wrangler, thinking I was an idiot and he said , we have plenty of those but not sure if we have any jk’s😳😳

• Haha
Reactions: Chapman4266
Mine was never intended to be a long commute or family vehicle but rather a recreational vehicle that can be taken off road.

This is precisely how I think the TJ needs to be looked at.

It's never going to be a good long commute vehicle (or even a daily driver for most people). However, as a recreational vehicle I think it's top notch!

Reactions: RangerRick
Yeah @Chris, you're right there.

Well I still don't want Jeep to go out of business any time soon or just become another one of those "car" companies. They need to sell new vehicles and living in the past doesn't do it for them or the aftermarket world. Sorry to say but the JK out-sold the TJ and was wildly popular. It attracted a new generation of Jeep Wrangler followers as the TJ did when it was introduced.

I remember back when the YJ Wrangler was introduced, I remember all the snye comments and under-breath berating that the YJ "Wrangler" took on when it was released from die hard CJ owners. They said it would never perform on the trail, it was caving in and giving up on what the essence of Jeep CJ was etc. Hey, we all love our TJ's that's why we are on this forum, not a JK or other specific forum right? But time moves on, these vehicles are becoming old now and there will be enthusiasts LIKE ALL OF US that will always only love the TJ. I have one of the first ever built in fact so what's that say? It is a toy of mine, I do modify it and no I don't commute or often drive it except for the fun of it. The TJ is uniquely placed in the Jeep line where it is very capable and refined compared to the CJ & YJ era yet it is still basic and very compact. New Jeeps don't keep anything really the same as previous generations other than basic cosmetics but the actual vehicle is 100% totally different than the prior generations.

The CJ-7 was introduced in 1975 for the 1976 model year. When it was introduced, it corrected and fixed many of the problems people had with even just getting into the CJ-5. It (The CJ-5) was a wonder that was produced for more than 31 years! A very long run by any motorized vehicle of any standard.

The CJ was replaced by the YJ Wrangler for many reasons including updated safety standards that went into effect during those years. AMC was embroiled in lawsuits over the CJ-5 from the likes of Ralph Nader and other ambulance chasing lawyers for anything that they could pin on corporate American companies. It didn't matter that it still passed the then DOT and federal laws for what was allowed on public roads, someone had to pay for idiot drivers, that was that!
The YJ was a refinement of the CJ-7 and improved on the previous model in several key areas. It was made tamer to attract a new generation of SWB Jeep owners and had many advancements like EFI engine management, galvanized body to help it live longer and a much stiffer full-box frame. There were some shortcuts taken that some think were improvements but the die-hards think of as skimping such as unit bearing hubs instead of real manual "lockout" hubs. Family roll bars were added and shoulder harness passenger restraint systems along with other things including ABS brakes on some models.

The TJ Wrangler borrowed heavily on the XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee in the suspension department. It remained within 1/2" dimensional proportion wise to the CJ-7 and had the best ride yet of all the SWB Jeeps to date. It had dual air bags (many thought this was ridiculous) but required to be approved on Americas roads. Many body changes had to be made so it could be sold in many European countries as well. I think one of the reasons we love the TJ Wrangler so much is that it still "looks" like what you expect the SWB Jeep to be. Parked next to my CJ-7, they are remarkably similar and you can tell the lineage is 100% back traceable for more than 30 years as of 2006. Again, a major feat by any manufacturer last carried by Jeep in the CJ-5 and SJ lines of old.

The newer JK and JL's are basically a complete new book or chapter. No borrowing of even the standard dimensions that were used back to the earliest CJ-7's. Everything was new and more electronics than ever packed inside. The cooling system is electronically controlled, the windows are electric, the locks, the headlight circuit is computer controlled for that matter! The earlier JK engines were borrowed from the mini-van line, ( I still believe to this day it was in haste with no real thought and a rush to market) because the old in-line 6 was mandated obsolete by CAFE & federal motor vehicle emissions laws. Chrysler Jeep was forced to go with something different. At that point, they should have used the Hemi from the light truck RAM but Chrysler since early on acquiring Jeep didn't want ANY competition with the RAM line of trucks. Chrysler killed off repeated attempts by the Jeep engineering department to build another light duty pickup as example of the Commanche MJ pickup. Chrysler also killed off the J-series full size pickups. If you were buying a truck from Chrysler, it was going to be a Dodge RAM not a Jeep and that was period!

This has all hamstrung the Jeep brand since being acquired by Chrysler back in 1987.

Every parent company of Jeep has struggled and gone bankrupt or been bought out throughout history. Not for the sales of the SWB Jeep though, as most all of the manufacturers were sold off just for the Jeep brand itself. Chrysler paid more than a Billion dollars almost entirely for the Jeep brand. That's how powerful it is to it's parent companies. In many markets, the Jeep brand still outsells it's owners original brands hands down. Today, Jeep can't make the JL fast enough they fly off the dealers lots at blazing speed, it's that iconic STILL!

One of the things that you really have to understand about Jeep SWB vehicles is that enthusiasts buy and own them especially when they get to be older and more affordable. Being an enthusiast vehicle, enthusiasts want to work on and know everything about their vehicles so it makes the newer generation Wrangler owners look clueless comparatively. That is what we are seeing and that is why it looks like TJ owners know so much more than JK and now especially JL owners do. It's not really a post "millennial stereotype" thing or that the owners don't know anything, it's more that they don't care as much because it's still just a vehicle to them. They come with a warranty so they don't have to work on them all the time and key here is: ownership hasn't become a passion........ Yet. Give it time and JK owners will start to look a lot more like us TJ owners do knowing a lot more about their vehicles than even the dealers own sales department and shop mechanics do.

Evolution my friends, plain and simple.

Something tells me that if FCA doesn't pull their heads out of their keesters, eventually it will happen to the CA portion of FCA and dragg FCA down again like Kaiser, AMC, Chrysler and Daimler Chrysler before them.... It's a matter of time. All Jeep sales count towards the bottom line for FCA so YES I think they should innovate with the Jeep brand including the trucks and variant versions of the JL Wrangler.

RR

Reactions: Hog and Chris
@Chris, how easy would it be for FCA to decide they want to follow mainstream SUV trends with the Wrangler and get rid of some of the iconic things that make it uniquely Jeep?

Get rid of the live solid axles and replace them with aluminum housing independent suspension.
Get rid of the fold-down windshield.
Get rid of the removable top and roll bar.
Get rid of the rear spare tire, mount it underneath.
Get rid of the high ground clearance and skid plates.
Get rid of the low-range transfer case and have just one 4x4 mode.
Get rid of the full box frame and turn it completely uni-body.
Get rid of the hose-out water resistant interior and floor drain plugs.

Only keep the 7 slot grille so it "reminisces" of the past lineage.
Only make them with 4-cylinder Turbo engines for the street.
Only make them come with 22" bling-bling rims and rubber band tires.
Only have a hard-top non removiable and permanently fixed.

Make it low to the ground and as wide as a full-size truck and able to carry 8 passengers like a school bus?

A scary thought folks but it could happen!

I try to embrace the new Wrangler owners and help educate because more enthusiasts will keep our hobby & sport of off-roading going. More and more off-highway enthusiasts mean government has to take notice of us and keep our public lands open for us to explore. It keeps the aftermarket thriving like nuts with the Lego of all vehicles.

I for one hope new generation buyers keep flocking to the JL and FCA keeps making money so they will invest in the next generation Wranglers that will still be the most capable production 4x4 off the dealers lot ever made.

Doesn't mean I will sell my beloved almost 23 year old TJ though ;)

RR

@Chris, how easy would it be for FCA to decide they want to follow mainstream SUV trends with the Wrangler and get rid of some of the iconic things that make it uniquely Jeep?

Get rid of the live solid axles and replace them with aluminum housing independent suspension.
Get rid of the fold-down windshield.
Get rid of the removable top and roll bar.
Get rid of the rear spare tire, mount it underneath.
Get rid of the high ground clearance and skid plates.
Get rid of the low-range transfer case and have just one 4x4 mode.
Get rid of the full box frame and turn it completely uni-body.
Get rid of the hose-out water resistant interior and floor drain plugs.

Only keep the 7 slot grille so it "reminisces" of the past lineage.
Only make them with 4-cylinder Turbo engines for the street.
Only make them come with 22" bling-bling rims and rubber band tires.
Only have a hard-top non removiable and permanently fixed.

Make it low to the ground and as wide as a full-size truck and able to carry 8 passengers like a school bus?

A scary thought folks but it could happen!

I try to embrace the new Wrangler owners and help educate because more enthusiasts will keep our hobby & sport of off-roading going. More and more off-highway enthusiasts mean government has to take notice of us and keep our public lands open for us to explore. It keeps the aftermarket thriving like nuts with the Lego of all vehicles.

I for one hope new generation buyers keep flocking to the JL and FCA keeps making money so they will invest in the next generation Wranglers that will still be the most capable production 4x4 off the dealers lot ever made.

Doesn't mean I will sell my beloved almost 23 year old TJ though ;)

RR

If that were to happen (which one day it very well may), I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll see the price of older Wranglers go up substantially just because the purists will want them.

Of course with as many JKs and JLs as they manufacture, it would probably be the older Wranglers (and CJs) that gained move value, only because they manufactured a lot less of them.

Still, I am happy that Jeep is as successful as they are. Even though I can't stand the look of a lot of the riced out JKUs, it still translates to big bucks for FCA, and that's what is able to keep them alive.

If all Jeep sold today was the TJ, I can't imagine they'd still be in business unless they could sell them for 100k a pop.

Reactions: Hog
I'm not so sure about JK/JL owners ever coming close to doing the things a Tj owner does to their rig. They won't be able to diagnose a simple HVAC issue without a laptop, proprietary software, a pile of expensive specialty tools, and the necessary training needed to use them. Some companies like VW are designing plastics so that the vehicle can easily be recycled. That seems to be the end-game. Buy a new one after it's life-cycle and they'll grind up your old.