TJ seems to burn through coil packs

Where can I buy this…mine does not have the insulation
This is what you wrap around the injector, it's held on by a single nylon zip tie. This is what Jeep specified for that TSB. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007O3QHDK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Fuel Injector Insulation .jpg

Reactions: taylormade73
I’m thinking about Viper Coil mod as an interesting alternative to the factory version. I’m not expecting any hp increase rather hoping for a smoother idle and hopefully a more dependable coil/ignition system. Having replaced my coil pack several times trying to solve the misfire at idle I’m a bit frustrated with the factory ignition system.

What’s the corporate wisdom here. The system is currently on sale for $170.

I’m thinking about Viper Coil mod as an interesting alternative to the factory version. I’m not expecting any hp increase rather hoping for a smoother idle and hopefully a more dependable coil/ignition system. Having replaced my coil pack several times trying to solve the misfire at idle I’m a bit frustrated with the factory ignition system.

What’s the corporate wisdom here. The system is currently on sale for $170.
Save your $$$, your misfires are not caused by the coil pack which puts out way more voltage than is required. But know that TJ 4.0 engines new enough to run the coil pack are exceptionally picky about what spark plugs they will run smoothly on. And there are a number of plugs found in most spark plug guides that say they're some spark plug models are correct when they're not. This problem is due to the coil rail's "waste spark" ignition design that fires the plugs every stroke.

EXACTLY what brand and model number spark plugs are installed in your engine? Single-tipped platinum plugs like the Autolite AP-985 or Champion 3034 are well known to cause hard to diagnose idle and run problems with newer engines with waste spark ignition systems like yours has. Single-tipped meaning the platinum coating is on just one side of the electrode gap. Double-tipped means the platinum coating is on both sides of the gap.

Reactions: JKP
I recently replaced the plugs with the same OEM plugs that were originally installed. However, I’m away from the jeep at the moment and cannot confirm the exact make and model. Other than they are the OEM plugs originally installed.

Save your $$$, your misfires are not caused by the coil pack which puts out way more voltage than is required. But know that TJ 4.0 engines new enough to run the coil pack are exceptionally picky about what spark plugs they will run smoothly on. And there are a number of plugs found in most spark plug guides that say they're some spark plug models are correct when they're not. This problem is due to the coil rail's "waste spark" ignition design that fires the plugs every stroke.

EXACTLY what brand and model number spark plugs are installed in your engine? Single-tipped platinum plugs like the Autolite AP-985 or Champion 3034 are well known to cause hard to diagnose idle and run problems with newer engines with waste spark ignition systems like yours has. Single-tipped meaning the platinum coating is on just one side of the electrode gap. Double-tipped means the platinum coating is on both sides of the gap.

Jerry the plugs in my 01 TJ 4.0 are Champion RC12ECC. These were replace about 6 months ago

Hey Jerry - trying to diagnose a cyl #1 misfire and rough idle on my 2000 TJ with coil pack. What EXACT spark plugs would you recommend. I am getting a headache reading all of these threads and I am coming up with: Autolite XP985. What plugs would you buy? Thanks!

Now I have something to worry about.

yup my ripp supercharges Coil Pack done failed on me exactly after 8100 ish miles........lets see how another one treats me...
also to mention the plug wires are horrible 2 have ripped out with me being careful on pulling the plug out and bam the wire ripped right out from the plug
luckily the accel ceramic plug wires from a small block chevy fit right in, might have to switch em all to those :D

The original MOPARS were made in Japan. Even the MSD for the YJ was Chinese.

Big difference. One wants to be the sun of the Pacific solar system, one already fucked around and found out.

One is known for producing quality radio components and precision instruments, and another known for mostly crap. And for good reason.

Quality control and contractor involvement is the important distinguishing factor with stuff made in china. pulling one over on the contractor by switching over to subpar components isnt sneaky or dishonest in china, it is the sign of a skilled businessman and cleverness.

I hate that you are having all the troubles with your jeep, I had all the same issues and did all the TSB repairs and insulation wraps. I didnt work for long. Was right back to hot again. I completely redone the cooling system , new radiator and all. That helped most. I even bought the spyder hood vent kit. I hated to cut the hood but had to be. Now she runs cool, all the hot air goes right up thru the louvered vents in the hood. No issues with over heating. How stupid can the engineers be putting the hot cats directly under the intake manifold. I hope yours gets resolved. I was not able to drive mine during the summer, July Aug and part of Sept. Now i drive it anywhere , anytime and run the air conditioner to boot even in the summer time. No issues.

I hate that you are having all the troubles with your jeep, I had all the same issues and did all the TSB repairs and insulation wraps. I didnt work for long. Was right back to hot again. I completely redone the cooling system , new radiator and all. That helped most. I even bought the spyder hood vent kit. I hated to cut the hood but had to be. Now she runs cool, all the hot air goes right up thru the louvered vents in the hood. No issues with over heating. How stupid can the engineers be putting the hot cats directly under the intake manifold. I hope yours gets resolved. I was not able to drive mine during the summer, July Aug and part of Sept. Now i drive it anywhere , anytime and run the air conditioner to boot even in the summer time. No issues.

I hadn’t considered upgrading the cooling system. But I have thought seriously about the Spyder Hood Vent. It seems logical to vent the heat somehow. However cutting the hood is a permanent modification, kinda like tattoos.

I hadn’t considered upgrading the cooling system. But I have thought seriously about the Spyder Hood Vent. It seems logical to vent the heat somehow. However cutting the hood is a permanent modification, kinda like tattoos.
Venting the hood doesn't cause or help the engine to run any cooler.