Tman's awesome Dr. Who mods for the TJ thread!!!!

Wow! That display is super bright! I've heard that the factory sub amp doesn't play well with aftermarket head units.
The brightness setting was set on daytime.

I pulled the radio out last night and fiddled with some things, just testing, reading the Jeep manual and came to the conclusion that I have it hooked up correctly. Might be a bad radio or I need some help.

I installed the stereo and was fixing to button everything up when I turned on the stereo and the bass was a pumping!!
FISH.gif

Alright!!! Sounded good.

Took the faceplate off and put everything back together. Put the faceplate back on and.................sub not working.

:teeth:

So, not to be critical or anything, but it doesn't look like those wires are twisted together? When you solder a connection, you need to make a mechanical connection first. The solder is not a mechanical connection, it is only to promote connectivity. At least its shiny! You'll also have better luck with finer solder, Radio shack and harbor freight both carry electronics solder. That thick stuff in the pictures takes WAY more heat to melt...I always have problems melting insulation when I use that stuff.

Reactions: tman66
So, not to be critical or anything, but it doesn't look like those wires are twisted together? When you solder a connection, you need to make a mechanical connection first. The solder is not a mechanical connection, it is only to promote connectivity. At least its shiny! You'll also have better luck with finer solder, Radio shack and harbor freight both carry electronics solder. That thick stuff in the pictures takes WAY more heat to melt...I always have problems melting insulation when I use that stuff.
No Sir, I appreciate the criticism.

They are twisted a little. :lol:

I have a real nice Weller soldering gun set up, unfortunately I can't find it, in my case I have my nice thin, fluxless solder.

So, I have my nice Craftsman made in Taiwan soldering iron and that thick ass solder. I've never soldered with flux and was having a great time! Sometimes I could get it to flow poorly and sometimes not at all. This took me 3 hours to do on a nice Sunday morning.

The solder I use has the diameter of a small metal paper clip. Melts really fast. You want to make sure that the solder wicks into the wire strands for a solid connection. No buggers.

No, it's a Honda CRV. :lol:

This is my Daughters Jeep, she's a big fan. I'm going to remove the "sahara" Stickers and relpace with some Tardis ones I bought. They are blue, but I'm trying to talk her into getting some black ones.

Its a great show. Track down some of the episodes from the 60's and 70's you might turn in to a fan as well. Tom Baker era is the best imho.

20170717_100423-x2-jpg.jpg

Not many problems with the bumper install.

I had to go buy a T55 for the bumper bolts and 4 ea.1/2-13 bolts for the top mounts, the stockers were just too long.

We also cut the plastic "Jeep" cover. (which I really didn't like to do)

Had to grind out the bottom holes in the bumper for clearance to get the bolts in. There was also about 1/2 of space from the bottom tab to the mounting points. I just got an impact gun and yahoo'ed that down.

Today, I'm going to try and get the Sub working in the TJ.

Maybe start to wire in the lights.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Thank you JP. She went for X-rays at the ER Saturday night. Her spine has gotten a lot worse in the last 2 years. She has an appointment with her Dr. Friday and another one next Tuesday.

Thank you JP. She went for X-rays at the ER Saturday night. Her spine has gotten a lot worse in the last 2 years. She has an appointment with her Dr. Friday and another one next Tuesday.
Praying for comfort for her. Praying for clear and focused minds for the Drs. Praying for strength for you, her mother and you.