Tool roll bags?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I was looking at these on ebay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=163824913026
WOndering if anyone is using them - hundreds of sellers. Or if you have a tool roll bag you prefer? I was thinking about just carrying those canvas mechanics tool bags. I have a few. SO wouldn't cost me anything.

https://majorsurplus.com/canvas-mechanics-tool-bag.html
These bags kickass too.

https://lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html
https://lapolicegear.com/jumbo-bailout-bag.html

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I've tried several canvas bags over the years, tool rolls also. I was never completely satisfied with any of them for one reason or another but there seems to be a greater variety now than during my early tool storage iterations.

I am currently using the tool bag offered by Blue Ridge Overland Gear. It is very well made with capacity for a complete set of tools. The only downside is that it is pricey, but you get what you pay for with this item.

21TB-L-3_1800x1800.jpg

https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/products/tool-bag

Following. I've been thinking how I want to start tools in my LJ. A small toolbox with drawers and foam padding with cut outs for each tool would be awesome, but it'd weigh too much. I'm thinking a duffel bag stuffed under the seat.

I use this one my wife made for me a couple years ago.
63DC36D1-A800-4428-89F8-0213E9E34012.jpeg

The pockets are a nice touch and I like the large upper flap for keeping tools and parts out if the dirt.
I use a smaller tool roll for wrenches. It rides in a Home Depot tool bag with Husky and Klein pouches to keep similar tools, such as electrical, grouped together.

Last edited:
I've had this for just about 30 years. My Grandfather bought if for me new. It's a drill case, he used to carry his tools in his car trunk in one so he got me one. I've riveted socket racks on the lid. Great at the junkyard too, doesn't mind the muck and it's not deep enough to loose stuff in. Fit's standing up in my Tuffy drawer so that's where it lives. You can find them at goodwill these days, some people just give them away. One day at the junkyard and I'd destroy a tool roll or bag. Not for everybody but it works for me especially because I have a lockbox to put it in. I use those soft bags to carry recovery gear but not tools.

15684196589890.jpg

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I like quality stuff as much as the next guy. Especially the things I use every day or to make a living. But there isnt any compelling reason to get carried away with tool bags for the Jeep. Harbor Freight tool rolls and tanker bags are cheap enough to be disposable but they last for years.

I like quality stuff as much as the next guy. Especially the things I use every day or to make a living. But there isnt any compelling reason to get carried away with tool bags for the Jeep. Harbor Freight tool rolls and tanker bags are cheap enough to be disposable but they last for years.
At work you wait for the truck for the new tool and bill the customer. At home you drive to the store and buy a replacement. On the trail you ask your buddy that took the time to think out what they should bring. If you wanna use crap when it matters the most, when you are in the worst conditions great. Not me.

Reactions: EzPeezy
At work you wait for the truck for the new tool and bill the customer. At home you drive to the store and buy a replacement. On the trail you ask your buddy that took the time to think out what they should bring. If you wanna use crap when it matters the most, when you are in the worst conditions great. Not me.
Good gawd, could you work up any more irrelevant drama? A Chinese Freight tool roll or tanker bag has ZERO chance of jeopardizing any trip short of a solo expedition to the north pole. Probably not even then. But if a high dollar tool rolls look good on your Instagram or makes you feel good, have at it.

Good gawd, could you work up any more irrelevant drama
Gimmie a minute, I'll work on something.

I get what you're saying. I just don't see the point on using cheap tools when the conditions are not great. Look at my toolbox, do you seriously think if I put that on Instagram I would get anything but flack? I might have posted this before but my trail box has my best (ya, my best isn't maybe the best). The tools I refine down to the bare essentials to do everything.

It really helps to use your trail tools for regular stuff too, you get to know what you have and what you need. When I bust a joint I don't want to have to spend time scratching my head thinking if I have the correct tools.

I do like that you think I could post my rusty, primer grey, black rattle can, busted up tool box on Instagram to look good.

I replaced a roll with a canvas bag and pouches. Pouches hold the sockets.
Works fine for me... tucks up well behind driver seat.

View attachment 115036

View attachment 115037

I use the same $10 Husky bag stuffed in my rear Tuffy box. I’m also super selective about the tools I bring and make sure I have the sizes I need, and not the ones I don’t. Absolutely no reason to bring full sets of sockets and wrenches on the trail.

That said, I just bought a $8 Dickies roll bag for my flatware and it’s pretty awesome:

Dickies Work Gear 57007 Grey/Tan Small Wrench Roll https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GBSCROC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The more I read this thread. The happier I am that the PO put a Tuffy security trunk in my Jeep. Unless someone punches my tailgate lock. I can carry just about anything I want in the trunk. But even that can be defeated.

I'll probably just carry bags I already have. The mechanics bags and the LA Police gear bags. My LA Police gear bags did not come from La Police gear. Just the same bag from someplace cut rate. They last forever. Are made and sold by many different companies. And are over built for anything. I have several and use them for anything from tools to photographic equipment. I would not hesitate to take one to Afghanistan or any other warzone. With the exception of the carry strap. I swapped a nicer one out that has padding. But the canvas one that comes with it is pretty bulletproof.

This argument about what tools to carry is a bit silly. But not even my security trunk is enough safety from anyone that really wants to get in. It can be defeated by a dent puller. Same with my garage side door at home. And I'm not a professional mechanic. So alot of my tools will only see a few uses in my lifetime. So I spend money on things like a good ratchet. That has alot of moving parts. Or vise grips. But cheap HF sockets or wrenches are fine. I've never had one broken. And I've used breaker bars and my 250lb ass to try to break them on rusty bolts. No doing. I do have a set of sockets that are better for my air tools though. But I can't say I've had even had normal sockets break that way either.

The best tools I have are hand me downs. My father died last year. And at some point I will inherit his old tools. He was a sucker for anything old at a yard sale. And ended up with a monster stash of old steel tools. That couldn't probably be replicated today - new. So I'm holding out on any new tool purchases for now. As I'll probably never need to buy another tool after I've been given his.

The one advantage to that cheap tool roll I posted. Is that they are in order. I could throw all my wrenches into a mechanics bag. But then I'm digging around for what I need. Whereas the tool roll has them right there in neat order. So there is that. It's $7? I might pick one up.

Reactions: Sancho
. . . I’m also super selective about the tools I bring and make sure I have the sizes I need, and not the ones I don’t. . . .

An admirable goal.

My attempts to minimize tools have been thwarted in part because I drive two different 4WD vehicles with slightly different tool requirements and also due to the variety of vehicles I wheel with.

I know I carry more than I need to and could save some weight if I spent time thinking about each wrench and screwdriver, but the bag I use is so convenient to move from rig to rig that paring down tools never seems to move up my 'to do' list.

Reactions: alittleoff