Touchy Throttle Response

Probably naive question, but how exactly do you use the hand throttle? Do set it to lock at a certain RPM or is it like a thumb throttle on an ATV? Assume it would allow for smoother acceleration and holding throttle bouncing around?
When I used to use one while rock crawling I made sure never to lock it, I kept it in my fingertips to be able to use fingertip pressure to move it up or down. Locking it in place on a rough trail would not be a good idea.

I mounted mine like this, so the lever pointed back on a manual shifter (which is positioned forward in 1st gear while trail crawling) and forward on an automatic shifter (which is in Low toward the rear while trail crawling) so my fingertips could easily control it. But I still say that with a little more experience you won't need this while on the trail. I haven't used one in 11 years now.

This is how it was when I had a manual transmission, above is how it was right after I converted to an automatic 12-13 years ago.

Shiftknob.jpg

Ive only ever used the hand throttle in a leaf sprung YJ. Lifted springs even SOA is as rough as a wooden wagon on hard bottomed trails. Makes crawling so much easier in the rough riding leaf sprung rig.

Just a little more foot training is all that is needed for smooth rock crawling. On the rocks is where my TJ lives 99% of its offroad life, on extremely bumpy rocky trails. It's pretty much nothing but a rock crawler. Placing the right-side of your foot on the transmission tunnel to partially support it pretty well stops the foot from bouncing. I'm running a 4:1 tcase and 5.38 gearing with my automatic and this is my second TJ with an automatic (I converted my first TJ from a stick to an automatic) so if a jerky throttle was a problem for me I would agree. :)

This is my present TJ, it's my second pure rock crawler....

View attachment 58112 View attachment 58113

Thought I had a problem with the touchy throttle however I just spend 3 days on the trail and tried keeping my foot on the trans tunnel to help maintain smooth throttle. At first it was a little tricky but after getting a little muscle memory in my leg/foot and keeping it planted I was able to control it much better. thanks for the advice. I'm confident it will keep getting better with practice.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thats how mine was, a pain over rough terrain, here is what I did to fix it. Spring kit from Autozone.
View attachment 57765
Can I ask which kit you used was it the one with multiple sizes or a one pack? Does it matter ?

How did you measure it when bending the ends?? like if the rpms are taking to long to go down would That mean less or more wire? Just want to have it right.... and did u drill a new hole because you didn't use the existing one thats on left side of where u have it did that help?

I put a heavier spring on mine too. There was a pack available at Oriellys with a bunch of different sizes. Ive been running that same spring now for 4 years.
Can I ask how you measured the universal one when clipping and bending it? I think I may have clipped it to much maybe or the spring is too long because its taking longer to rev down... And did you drill a new hole to make it more straight.

Can I ask how you measured the universal one when clipping and bending it? I think I may have clipped it to much maybe or the spring is too long because its taking longer to rev down... And did you drill a new hole to make it more straight.
I took mine straight out of box and installed it. No cutting at all

Can I ask which kit you used was it the one with multiple sizes or a one pack? Does it matter ?

How did you measure it when bending the ends?? like if the rpms are taking to long to go down would That mean less or more wire? Just want to have it right.... and did u drill a new hole because you didn't use the existing one thats on left side of where u have it did that help?
Sorry, been away from the keyboard for a bit. So i just selected the one that seemed about right for the job based on what was in the kit. Mr Gasket Throttle Return Spring: Springs like this one. I can take a pic of how i set it up, but mainly drilled a small hole for the spring on the bracket where the old later models had one. I gave the extra spring to a buddy that used it for the same purpose.