Toughness personified

Thanks, mrblaine - Looking at their website, they're an "old school" plating company. Not many of those left. That is a true hexavalent process, which is much more durable than trivalent, and it's OD green, to boot! The Europeans decided that the trace hex chrome washing off fasteners in cars needed to stop, and that decision changed the plating industry over a very short period of time. Since then, most platers converted to trivalent (or other processes altogether different), and the hex guys are few and far between. The movie, "Erin Brockovich", was partially responsible for this rapid abandonment of hex chrome. I'm putting that one in the "Rolodex!"

Also, you weren't kidding - I'm a rank amateur...
I was surprised to find them and find them both responsive and affordable. Or at least affordable so far. They sent me a price sheet of their minimums and I'd be happy if they got 1/3 of those done for their minimum.

Hey, all - regarding my comments about powder-coating the Currectlync parts OD green a few pages back, I called RockJock to inquire about whether or not the rod ends in the drag link and tie-rods are plastic-lined. They are. When they powder-coat them black, they do it before final assembly. Powder-coating the final product is a no-go because the baking process will destroy those liners. I guess I'll have to spray them if I want them OD green.

Reactions: NOTNSUV and SvtLdr
Hey, all - regarding my comments about powder-coating the Currectlync parts OD green a few pages back, I called RockJock to inquire about whether or not the rod ends in the drag link and tie-rods are plastic-lined. They are. When they powder-coat them black, they do it before final assembly. Powder-coating the final product is a no-go because the baking process will destroy those liners. I guess I'll have to spray them if I want them OD green.
The heat treater is telling me they are due out any day now. My guess of how long it would take wasn't far off.

The heat treater is telling me they are due out any day now. My guess of how long it would take wasn't far off.

Thank you for the update, I was wondering but didn't want to bother as it doesn't really matter (my jeep is sleeping for the winter) :)

Looking forward to adding to the pile of upgrades in the corner!

Thank you for the update, I was wondering but didn't want to bother as it doesn't really matter (my jeep is sleeping for the winter) :)

Looking forward to adding to the pile of upgrades in the corner!
I told my helper that I need to call and check on them. I told him I would get one of two answers. They would either not know anything and would tell me they would call back and not do so, or, they would tell me they were done and had been sitting there a week.

In the 30 times I've dealt with them on lots of material, those are the only two answers I have ever received from them.

So, the first time I called, they knew nothing. She said she would find out and call me back. I called the next morning, got the same apology that I always get when they don't call back and then she related they were out of heat treat and over in straightening with 23 of the 83 done.

I told my helper that I need to call and check on them. I told him I would get one of two answers. They would either not know anything and would tell me they would call back and not do so, or, they would tell me they were done and had been sitting there a week.

In the 30 times I've dealt with them on lots of material, those are the only two answers I have ever received from them.

So, the first time I called, they knew nothing. She said she would find out and call me back. I called the next morning, got the same apology that I always get when they don't call back and then she related they were out of heat treat and over in straightening with 23 of the 83 done.
How are they straightened after heat treating, Blaine? A press, more heating?

Is the bigger diameter of the bar enough of a concern to go thru the cycling process to check for clearance issues, vs. say a ZJ tie rod?

Is the bigger diameter of the bar enough of a concern to go thru the cycling process to check for clearance issues, vs. say a ZJ tie rod?
If you already have the Currie steering without any clearance issues then you should be just fine. If not, then cycling suspension while steering at full-lock is recommended.

Got the tracking numbers for my shiny new tie-rods - thanks for taking that project on, @mrblaine!
Some will be slightly delayed. I didn't like the bolts in the clamps and the ones I put in I only had enough to send out 6 tie rods. The rest of the bolts will be here Monday.

I need folks to update me on the packaging as well. We think we have it figured out, we all know how that goes.

Reactions: JMT