Tox's dream trailer

Thats awesome! how much room do you have to spare to the top of your LJ on 37s?

Thats awesome! how much room do you have to spare to the top of your LJ on 37s?

I calculated those numbers 100 different ways and spent a lot of time with graph paper. I did have to add 6" to the standard trailer height so it has 8ft ceilings now.

Since it has drive over fenders there will be roughly 83-85" between the fenders and the ceiling. Both of my Jeeps are 77"(ish) at the highest points. So 3-6" at street pressure. The rear tires likely won't be up on the fenders so those will sit roughly 12" lower which will only give even more room. It's possible I could adjust ride height in the future, if they go taller I can deflate the tires or put in shorter limit straps for transport. I chose the width of the drive over fenders to be compatible with stock Jeeps, full width buggy, or UTV so they don't fall in the crack between. The height should be compatible with everything except tall mud trucks (which don't interest me anyway).

Awesome idea and great to see it coming to fruition!! I bet you and the Mrs. are sleepless at night waiting for completion and get on the road. Cant wait to see it in person @ TJ Fest 2023.

Now lets talk about important stuff like Bratwurst and if the refrigerator is large enough for another tailgater :LOL: for Moab 2023.

Now lets talk about important stuff like Bratwurst and if the refrigerator is large enough for another tailgater :LOL: for Moab 2023.

Heck yeah it is man! Priorities! There's even an awning in case it rains! I've been a tent camper my entire life so this feels so wrong and so right!

Heck yeah it is man! Priorities! There's even an awning in case it rains! I've been a tent camper my entire life so this feels so wrong and so right!

When we were newlyweds-ish, we decided to staycation for an entire summer close to home and our goal was to camp at a new campground every weekend. By the end of that summer, we could pack in less than ten minutes practically for an entire weekend. Mr. Tox has probably spent a year of his life in a hammock (not exaggerating) let alone a tent so for us to be getting a trailer seems like we're betraying our roots a little. The trailer is ultimately a tool though to help us live the lifestyle we want for months on the road (which we wouldn't be able to do with a tent or hammock) and we are going to wield that tool with kittens in tow, and @rasband in his room of course. We can finally travel in the dead of winter. It's going to be amazing.

@LarryTJ Needless to say, we're beyond excited. And I'll happily bring cheddarwursts whenever there's a jeep get together. Happily. :)

When we were newlyweds-ish, we decided to staycation for an entire summer close to home and our goal was to camp at a new campground every weekend. By the end of that summer, we could pack in less than ten minutes practically for an entire weekend. Mr. Tox has probably spent a year of his life in a hammock (not exaggerating) let alone a tent so for us to be getting a trailer seems like we're betraying our roots a little. The trailer is ultimately a tool though to help us live the lifestyle we want for months on the road (which we wouldn't be able to do with a tent or hammock) and we are going to wield that tool with kittens in tow, and @rasband in his room of course. We can finally travel in the dead of winter. It's going to be amazing.

@LarryTJ Needless to say, we're beyond excited. And I'll happily bring cheddarwursts whenever there's a jeep get together. Happily. :)

It’s so nice when your younger and can sack out in a hammock and repeat day in day out. Traveling campground to campground is a great way to see the surrounding area, meet new folks, and take in all the sites of the surrounding area. When my son was in grade school and high school the Mrs. I and him would go camping for 2-3 weeks every summer around the southwest and move from campground to campground about every 2-3 days which we really enjoyed. Our goal back than since we were limited on time was to see the country and cool NP's and Monuments. One of our all time favorite trips which spanned over a couple weeks (with two small dogs in tow) was we visited Bryce Canyon NP, Capital Reef NP, stopped over and at Natural Bridges Monument for a few days, drove over to Mesa Verde NP (toured all the cliff dwellings) than drove up to Silverton CO rented a TJ and drove the outback (probably not a good idea by ourselves but there was a lot of Jeeps or various other off road vehicles so if we broke down easy to catch a ride), turned around and started home but stopped at Four Corners, couple of other National Monuments along the way in Flagstaff AZ before eventually making in back home. Now my son favorite memories as a child was camping so he left home (4 yrs ago) went to College (little college in NC) obtained his BA in Outdoor Wilderness Leadership (he currently works at a summer camp in NC teaching Mountain Biking) and his goal is to build/buy a van and travel and camp all across the states and Canada and as he puts it become the swiss army knife of outdoor wilderness, I said “sounds like my dream job before joining the Navy”, go enjoy life in the outdoors.

Last edited:
Can you fit one of these in there?

2F167055-D6F3-48A5-94C4-5B5E86DBF188.png

• Love
Reactions: LarryTJ and toximus
That’s awesome, I’ve been looking at Sundowner trailers a lot lately and if I were to get one I still can’t decide weather or not I’d want a garage model or open deck. They both have their pros and cons.
I’ve probably read it somewhere on here before but what are you going to be using to pull it around with?

That’s awesome, I’ve been looking at Sundowner trailers a lot lately and if I were to get one I still can’t decide weather or not I’d want a garage model or open deck. They both have their pros and cons.
I’ve probably read it somewhere on here before but what are you going to be using to pull it around with?

Diesel 2022 F350 single rear wheel. All of the numbers I've been told should mean that it's 100% legal and safe. Anything older than a 2020 I don't think would be legal.

I'm hoping the truck arrives before the trailer is ready for pick up.

What are the reasons you're interested in the open deck?

Diesel 2022 F350 single rear wheel. All of the numbers I've been told should mean that it's 100% legal and safe. Anything older than a 2020 I don't think would be legal.

I'm hoping the truck arrives before the trailer is ready for pick up.

What are the reasons you're interested in the open deck?

I figured you did all the research on the towing numbers, especially since you’re investing so much into something so nice. I was mainly courious on weather ya went SRW or DRW.

That would kinda suck if ya don’t get the truck before the trailer, I’m hoping it all works out for you.

The reason I’m torn between the open and closed deck ( I have lots of time to decide since if I do get one it won’t be for a couple years)
1. Weight, but I’ll admit I haven’t done much research in the difference
2. To me it seems easier to work on a rig in the open area but in bad weather that’s it would be totally opposite.
3. I kinda like the idea of also using that open deck to use as a “deck” when out. Grill off of it, setup a small table type thing. And be off the dirt but still be outside.

For what you have planned, being out for extended periods in all weather conditions I’d be more tempted to go the garage rout also, but I’m always second guessing myself, it’s a wonder how I get anything at all haha