Trailering your Jeep

Not..

Anyone who has experience knows 2 parallel chains will act like a swing..... which is why every professional driver crosses the chains...... and checks them regularly. Yeah sure it looks good in the driveway but wait till you need evasive steering on the Interstate.....

This is the industry standard. The lines need to be angled to be stable. Check the load, no matter how you tie down a leaking tire will loosen the chains.

View attachment 139578
Some folks understand basic geometry, some don't.

Do you think the load inside this trailer is tied down straight back or crossed? LOL just saw this guy at Lowes on my way home and it made me think of this thread...

20200211_144038.jpg

Do you think the load inside this trailer is tied down straight back or crossed? LOL just saw this guy at Lowes on my way home and it made me think of this thread...

Your picture makes me laugh and also reminded me of another towing farce I saw a few years ago. I went for gas at a local truck stop on I-20 in South Carolina. At the end of the car and small truck islands, was a old Ford 350 dually with the biggest truck camper I have seen on the back of the truck, towing a BIG stacker trailer. The trailer was hooked to a 4' extension to get the hitch ball out past the camper. In the lot, it looked a lot like you picture. I laughed to myself and thought that he wouldn't get 20 miles with the setup. Curiosity got the best of me and I walked down there to take a closer look at the rig. I met the guy driving it, and got his story. He had left Southern California for Myrtle Beach Bike Week 6 days ago. He left pulling the trailer (full with his bikes and things to sell in Myrtle Beach) with a Dutch Star Motorhome. Near Phoenix, the engine in the motorhome quit. He was towed to a repair shop, where they estimated the repair at $35,000. He didn't want to commit to that much for a repair, so he looked in the local want ads, bought the Ford truck and camper, hooked up his trailer, and continued his trip. He had already made it 2000 miles with the rig as it was configured. Best of all, he told me, he was only 1 day behind. :)

Back on the subject of how to tie down our Jeeps when we tow them on a trailer. When I bought a trailer to take my Jeep on trips, I did some research to find the best way. I concluded fairly easily that the best equipment (IMHO) for tie downs is chains and ratchets,
axle_tie_down_kits_g80_MED.jpg

I didn't want to use chains on my Jeep or in my trailer, so I decided to use nylon straps.

I initially decided that I want to use the axles for the tie down points on my Jeep. When I went for the hookup, I couldn't locate the straps on the axles under the jeep in a way that made me happy, so I decided to use the wheels.

There are several methods to use straps on wheels to secure a vehicle. The wheels on my Jeep made it very easy to just run the strap through the wheel, then through the d-ring, and back to the ratchet.

Also, my tie down considerations included locating the Jeep (as much as possible) over the trailer axles, occasionally carrying motorcycles, and always carrying lots of hampers with my wife's shoes. The floor mounted D-rings that came on the trailer were in the wrong place for my needs, so I added 10 new tie down points (6 for 2 motorcycles, 4 for the jeep).

IMG_2291-XL.jpg

The floor tie down points for the front of the jeep were forward of the Jeep and set just barely wider than the Jeep. The tie down points for the back of the Jeep were close to the back of the Jeep and again, not much wider than the jeep. When I towed my Jeep in the trailer, The front tie downs ran almost straight forward. The rear tie downs were crossed.

I used this configuration for 2 years and thousands of miles. I never had a strap problem. My Jeep did move around some when I traveled. Never more than an inch or 2, but it moved. I charged the movement to the bumps on the roads and the stretch in the straps. I'd do it all the same way if I was going to do this again.

Bertha and the Great White Whale
i-Vf3TZqT-XL.jpg

Your picture makes me laugh and also reminded me of another towing farce I saw a few years ago. I went for gas at a local truck stop on I-20 in South Carolina. At the end of the car and small truck islands, was a old Ford 350 dually with the biggest truck camper I have seen on the back of the truck, towing a BIG stacker trailer. The trailer was hooked to a 4' extension to get the hitch ball out past the camper. In the lot, it looked a lot like you picture. I laughed to myself and thought that he wouldn't get 20 miles with the setup. Curiosity got the best of me and I walked down there to take a closer look at the rig. I met the guy driving it, and got his story. He had left Southern California for Myrtle Beach Bike Week 6 days ago. He left pulling the trailer (full with his bikes and things to sell in Myrtle Beach) with a Dutch Star Motorhome. Near Phoenix, the engine in the motorhome quit. He was towed to a repair shop, where they estimated the repair at $35,000. He didn't want to commit to that much for a repair, so he looked in the local want ads, bought the Ford truck and camper, hooked up his trailer, and continued his trip. He had already made it 2000 miles with the rig as it was configured. Best of all, he told me, he was only 1 day behind. :)

Back on the subject of how to tie down our Jeeps when we tow them on a trailer. When I bought a trailer to take my Jeep on trips, I did some research to find the best way. I concluded fairly easily that the best equipment (IMHO) for tie downs is chains and ratchets,
View attachment 139672

I didn't want to use chains on my Jeep or in my trailer, so I decided to use nylon straps.

I initially decided that I want to use the axles for the tie down points on my Jeep. When I went for the hookup, I couldn't locate the straps on the axles under the jeep in a way that made me happy, so I decided to use the wheels.

There are several methods to use straps on wheels to secure a vehicle. The wheels on my Jeep made it very easy to just run the strap through the wheel, then through the d-ring, and back to the ratchet.

Also, my tie down considerations included locating the Jeep (as much as possible) over the trailer axles, occasionally carrying motorcycles, and always carrying lots of hampers with my wife's shoes. The floor mounted D-rings that came on the trailer were in the wrong place for my needs, so I added 10 new tie down points (6 for 2 motorcycles, 4 for the jeep).

View attachment 139673

The floor tie down points for the front of the jeep were forward of the Jeep and set just barely wider than the Jeep. The tie down points for the back of the Jeep were close to the back of the Jeep and again, not much wider than the jeep. When I towed my Jeep in the trailer, The front tie downs ran almost straight forward. The rear tie downs were crossed.

I used this configuration for 2 years and thousands of miles. I never had a strap problem. My Jeep did move around some when I traveled. Never more than an inch or 2, but it moved. I charged the movement to the bumps on the roads and the stretch in the straps. I'd do it all the same way if I was going to do this again.

View attachment 139674

The REALLY impressive part is the jet fighter mounted to your roof!

View attachment 139657
I feel sorry for the Denali and the trailer. The trailer looks like it’s been through hell and may not have front tires when it returns.

Reactions: reddvltj
When I towed my jeep home via a U-Haul trailer the manager told me an incidental story that they will not allow a soft top Jeep to tow any of their trailers, regardless of capacity. I'm not sure if that was just this U-Haul location or a company wide policy.

I was allowed to tow a small U-haul with my hard top Jeep. Had to arrive with the hard top On the vehicle. But that was more than a decade ago. They’ve always had stipulations about towing with Jeeps.
I’m sure they have updated their policy with the popularity of the JK

Mac's straps around the axles and straight back. I find they loosen a bit after the first handful of miles when they haven't been used in awhile so I have to stop and re-tighten them.

I do get Mr.Blaine's point about the U-Haul system though I'm not sure how I could use that technique on my trailer and the vehicles I own.

View attachment 139672

View attachment 139673

View attachment 139674
Nice setup,

I’d probably use straps if I had an enclosed trailer also, but with an open trailer I like chain mainly because I can just toss everything in the tool box and not have to worry about damaging them.

Currently using MAC's through the wheel straps straight forward/back, though I'm still not sold on what the best option is. I originally was thinking of axle straps but I couldn't seem to find a good clear spot on the axle to strap around.

20190817_112410 (1).jpg

Reactions: TJTJ04
To @Jeeper_Creeper and @DaveF

What length trailers do you have?

If you had to purchase another, what would you specify differently for trailering your LJ?

I believe mine is 18' (possibly 16', don't remember 100%). It's a 7k trailer and with the jeep/weight of trailer I'm at like 6300lbs. Only thing I'd like to do different is maybe go aluminum or a bit higher weight rating so I had room to put extra gear etc.

I believe mine is 18' (possibly 16', don't remember 100%). It's a 7k trailer and with the jeep/weight of trailer I'm at like 6300lbs. Only thing I'd like to do different is maybe go aluminum or a bit higher weight rating so I had room to put extra gear etc.

I switched to an aluminum trailer years ago and would never go back to steel. The Aluma 16' trailer I have weighs 1100 lbs and tows like a dream!

EIxzmYb.jpg

Reactions: Jeeper_Creeper
To @Jeeper_Creeper and @DaveF

What length trailers do you have?

If you had to purchase another, what would you specify differently for trailering your LJ?
Mine is a 20’ and has plenty of room for anything else I NEED to haul. If I had a smaller truck, I might want an aluminum trailer but my 3500 has no problem pulling this or any other trailer. So the price of an aluminum trailer wasn’t justifiable for me. My last trailer had the fold down ramps and that was easier but I don’t mind pulling out the ramps if I need them. I’ve even had a trailer with no ramps that worked fine for a Jeep. My last trailer had the 7k axles and this one has the 5.1k while the standard car hauler as 3.5k axles. The 14k trailer would probably be easier to sell (if you needed to) since more people would have a use for it over a standard car hauler. The guy that I sold my last one to needed it to haul a tractor. Another thing to consider is removable fenders if you have or plan to have wider axles or just want the versatility. I noticed some of the standard car haulers also have angle iron around the side that extends above the deck. Not really a rail but a lip at the edge. I didn’t like that but that’s just me. It’s still plenty wide for most Jeeps where that lip wouldn’t be an issue.

I towed mine on a uHaul a couple of months ago about 400 miles round trip. Front straps to the axle are crossed ONLY as backups to the tire nets uHaul provided which I had extended. I also added straps pulling the rear axle toward the back of the trailer because I had some concerns with the tire nets allowing my large tire to go too far forward. I did not use the axle chains included with the trailer since they'd only mess up my paint. The tire sidewalls rubbed the trailer fenders going on (wider axles and tires).

Be mindful that you don't pinch brake lines with over the axle straps.

IMG_20191230_171935.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney
Currently using MAC's through the wheel straps straight forward/back, though I'm still not sold on what the best option is. I originally was thinking of axle straps but I couldn't seem to find a good clear spot on the axle to strap around.

View attachment 140448
I tie mine down like you do through the wheels straight out from each wheel with no I'll effects yet in 2 years.

Reactions: DaveF
I kind of cheat as I steel mine from my company whenever I need it. It normally hauls around a Kubota Backhoe. I really like the fact that it tilts so I don't have to fool around with ramps like I did on our old trailer

IMG_1522.jpg

Reactions: Ardenlonewolf
I kind of cheat as I steel mine from my company whenever I need it. It normally hauls around a Kubota Backhoe. I really like the fact that it tilts so I don't have to fool around with ramps like I did on our old trailer

View attachment 140521
I really think I would like a tilt trailer over ramps. Anyone else have a review on their tilt trailer for the jeep?

I really think I would like a tilt trailer over ramps. Anyone else have a review on their tilt trailer for the jeep?

Tilt trailers are awesome. I've only ever used them when I rent equipment for projects, but I'd love to have one for my TJ. When I was shopping new haulers last year I just couldn't justify the cost just to keep my lazy ass from pulling out a couple of ramps, so I just went with a standard 18' hauler.

I came close to buying a split deck 16’ tilt with a 2’ non tilting front but it had sold within hours of the add being posted. After that I just got an 18” 10k and have been super happy with that though

Reactions: TJTJ04