Trailering your Jeep

Great video. A lot of people seem to have a hard time visualizing why we shouldn‘t cross strap. This is a great illustration of it.

Why would you ever think cross strapping would be a good idea?
Lower your tire pressure to around 12 to 15. Tie to the axles and let the tires be the tension device.

Why would you ever think cross strapping would be a good idea?
Lower your tire pressure to around 12 to 15. Tie to the axles and let the tires be the tension device.
Dig around on the 'net. Crossing the straps is the #1 recommended method for tying down a rig to a trailer. It's been debated here endlessly with the same fools telling everyone how awesome their Cross Your Heart bra methodology is. We are not lifting and separating.

Reactions: Apparition
Arise dead thread!!

1030A916-762B-4C29-BA9F-E545D201E10C.jpeg

98967984-A25F-4032-A4BD-444979453D34.jpeg

F19FF11D-BAB5-4CF2-821E-156BEAA83DB1.jpeg

Not sure what the point of those front crossed straps are 🤭

Just to pull the suspension down a bit. They aren’t real tight, as I’m aware of issues with blowing shocks and such, but I wanted to take some of the bounce out of it. There are other straps around the axles on the front.

• Face Palm
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Just to pull the suspension down a bit. They aren’t real tight, as I’m aware of issues with blowing shocks and such, but I wanted to take some of the bounce out of it. There are other straps around the axles on the front.

Why do you feel it is necessary to take some of the bounce out of it?

Reactions: SvtLdr
Just to reduce a bit of the body roll.

In my experience, allowing the jeep’s suspension to work on the trailer greatly improves the ride of the trailer and the tow vehicle. If you took it to the extreme and tied the body down so tight as to bottom out the suspension, the 2” of travel on the trailer suspension would be controlling the entire load - resulting in a much rougher ride.

That’s one reason, among others, that it is not recommended to anchor to the frame, but rather to the axles or wheels.

In my experience, allowing the jeep’s suspension to work on the trailer greatly improves the ride of the trailer and the tow vehicle. If you took it to the extreme and tied the body down so tight as to bottom out the suspension, the 2” of travel on the trailer suspension would be controlling the entire load - resulting in a much rougher ride.

That’s one reason, among others, that it is not recommended to anchor to the frame, but rather to the axles or wheels.

Right, the Jeep is ratcheted down tight by the axles and then additional straps are attached at the anchor points of the bumpers pulling down slightly to reduce too much body roll. I intend on allowing the Jeeps suspension to mostly work for absorbing bumps in the roads.

I haven’t towed this before, this will be my first time. I just assumed there may be some body roll. I’m leaving later this week and I just wanted to figure out how I was going to tie it down for the trip.