Trailering your Jeep

Many years ago I was told that unsprung weight is the only part to tie down. The reason it even came up was someone ran a strap over the handle bars on his dirt bike which finished off his front forks.

Back before I knew any better I hauled my Honda Magna in the back of my truck with a single strap from the front corner of the bed, over the triple tree, to the other front corner. Thought nothing of it. 70 miles into my trip on a back, twisty county highway I hit a dip in the middle of a sweeping corner. The bike bounced down becoming free from the single strap, and the momentum tossed the bike into the side of the bed. Dented the shit out of my tank and IIRC the handlebars. The top rail of the bed also sustained some damage. After that, any bike I hauled was two straps tied around the triple tree, and two on the rear rim. A 4x4 placed underneath the frame gave me a solid platform and allowed the springs within the forks to not be fully collapsed.

Just called the u- haul where I live and they said no.

Is it possible they are thinking you are towing the trailer with the Jeep or your tow vehicle does not have the capacity?

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 12.51.56 PM.png

X2. I was told a jeep cant pull a trailer due to liability reasons. But if your towing the jeep, that is a different story

Reactions: NDSpeed
Any angle back or forward from the axle to the tie down anchors increases the chance of compromising all the restraints in the event of just one loosening. The more angle, the greater that effect becomes.
I guess I miss represented the what I meant by angle, should have said never more than 45 degrees
These are the 2 methods I have used in the past, and I always stop every 2 to 3 hundred miles and check to make sure nothing has loosened up or shifted.

Tie down pattern.png

Reactions: billiebob
I guess I miss represented the what I meant by angle, should have said never more than 45 degrees
These are the 2 methods I have used in the past, and I always stop every 2 to 3 hundred miles and check to make sure nothing has loosened up or shifted.

View attachment 139491
There is only one way to tie to the axles and not loosen all the remaining straps if you lose one. That is straight back. If they are straight back, you can stop it from moving with 2 straps. If angularity is introduced, the rig can move sideways to straighten out that angle and now all of the remaining straps are loose.

Just got on the u-haul website and it was a go. What the heck?
Yeah, I'm wondering if they think you want to tow the trailer with the Jeep. With a vehicle loaded on the trailer that would definitely be beyond the rated towing capacity of any Jeep Wrangler.

When I towed my jeep home via a U-Haul trailer the manager told me an incidental story that they will not allow a soft top Jeep to tow any of their trailers, regardless of capacity. I'm not sure if that was just this U-Haul location or a company wide policy.

When I towed my jeep home via a U-Haul trailer the manager told me an incidental story that they will not allow a soft top Jeep to tow any of their trailers, regardless of capacity. I'm not sure if that was just this U-Haul location or a company wide policy.
I have read of that policy in the past

I used commercial grade nylon straps that went through my wheels. The front straps went forward and out from the jeep. The back straps were crossed and went back. I put the cross goes in the back because I read it on the internet (it centers the vehicle under braking). You can see one of the straps on the lower left of this picture.
i-ckSmw49.jpg

I packed in a lot of stuff - don't even ask me how many pairs of shoes my wife took on these trips. :)
IMG_2716-XL.jpg

Ratchet straps hooked into the d-rings, red straps went around the tire and through the wheel, black sleevs protected the finish of the wheels.
IMG_6365.JPG

Last edited:
There is only one way to tie to the axles and not loosen all the remaining straps if you lose one. That is straight back. If they are straight back, you can stop it from moving with 2 straps. If angularity is introduced, the rig can move sideways to straighten out that angle and now all of the remaining straps are loose.

Not..

Anyone who has experience knows 2 parallel chains will act like a swing..... which is why every professional driver crosses the chains...... and checks them regularly. Yeah sure it looks good in the driveway but wait till you need evasive steering on the Interstate.....

This is the industry standard. The lines need to be angled to be stable. Check the load, no matter how you tie down a leaking tire will loosen the chains.

Tie down pattern.png

Just a google pic but this is exactly what I do with my jeep. Strap around the axle tube attached to my ratchet strap connected my trailer straight back / forward. 100% closed loop system. I use Mac's straps.

1581398326269.png

Reactions: mrblaine