Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk what to tell yah other than what i said about tighting the latch

OK, If you take the whole damn latch off and throw it across the yard, then push the tailgate closed...it needs to look like that. If not, the hinges need to be adjusted (or replaced, if worn) until it does.

What attitude? Why does me being ill equiped/ unknowledgeable come off as attitude? I’m being honest about what I see and thats just the way it is

You seem to be quite honest about what you see.

You also seem to have a problem with what anybody here says to at least try to get your problem fixed. It really shows in this post where you believe the previous owner's extra rubber made a good seal and it was a good idea. Seeing if replacing the unneeded missing screwed on parts will fix everything doesn't help your position.

... I’ve come to the opinion that the previous owner placed the rubber on the gate to help with the rubber on the window and together they make a pretty good seal. I think he saw the same problem and instead of placing guled rubber on the window he decided to place rubber on the door that he could replace, etc which ive come to think is pretty smart. I’m gonna look into those parts that screw in on the sides where the glass rubber meets the frame and see if that solves the problem

If you're putting the seal back on the tailgate, which is how it was before when you asked for help; then this was a big waste of our time to try and help you.
Good luck with future projects.

that seal seen along the top of the gate is what i use to keep a seal against my soft top tail bar.
if i attempt to use it with the hard top it will bow the glass suddenly when the gate is shoved closed.

Reactions: oldjeepman
You seem to be quite honest about what you see.

You also seem to have a problem with what anybody here says to at least try to get your problem fixed. It really shows in this post where you believe the previous owner's extra rubber made a good seal and it was a good idea. Seeing if replacing the unneeded missing screwed on parts will fix everything doesn't help your position.
It’s a pretty good seal in hindsight. Problem is it’s a bad seal because it still leaks. I would just have to add more to solve my problem. The latch thingy is important because it helps the back gate close properly. That’s all I’m sayin.

Well, you still have a problem with you hinges sagging and the tailgate alignment.

From your photos...

tailgate-allignment.jpg

Reactions: bedhed
When I watched that video you sent, I noticed a couple of parts that are missing. I haven't gone back through all of the replies to make sure this hadn't been covered though. Without these being mounted on either side, not only does it open up a space for water, dust, exhaust fumes, etc., The innermost tab (circled) not being there opens this problem even more, because of the gaps just above the edge of the tailgate.
You can see in my second picture how close the tailgate sits on the edge of the lower window seal, it's not much. With the tailgate hanging a bit too low on that side makes the top edge of the tailgate/lower window seal even less.

With all of the water being on the right side, I'm wondering if it isn't the missing bracket/jamb is the culprit. But, with water flowing as it does, who knows. If it were me, and I wasn't able to make a trip to Florida to make a trade with a cool dude down there😏, I'd track down those parts and order them. After the install, reasses. With the spare tire off.

Bear in mind, this is the '02 style hard top, so this would be how it looks on yours.

PicsArt_12-11-04.02.10.jpg

PicsArt_12-11-04.14.46.jpg

Reactions: Zedd
When I watched that video you sent, I noticed a couple of parts that are missing. I haven't gone back through all of the replies to make sure this hadn't been covered though. Without these being mounted on either side, not only does it open up a space for water, dust, exhaust fumes, etc., The innermost tab (circled) not being there opens this problem even more, because of the gaps just above the edge of the tailgate.
You can see in my second picture how close the tailgate sits on the edge of the lower window seal, it's not much. With the tailgate hanging a bit too low on that side makes the top edge of the tailgate/lower window seal even less.

With all of the water being on the right side, I'm wondering if it isn't the missing bracket/jamb is the culprit. But, with water flowing as it does, who knows. If it were me, and I wasn't able to make a trip to Florida to make a trade with a cool dude down there😏, I'd track down those parts and order them. After the install, reasses. With the spare tire off.

Bear in mind, this is the '02 style hard top, so this would be how it looks on yours.

View attachment 128846

View attachment 128847
So this has been discussed. Fortunately because this part is missing, it allows air to flow out the trunk area without having to have the vents on the 02 version. Also I’m happy to say that the leak doesnt not come from the lack of this part missing expect for one small area. (As much as I can tell)

So this has been discussed. Fortunately because this part is missing, it allows air to flow out the trunk area without having to have the vents on the 02 version. Also I’m happy to say that the leak doesnt not come from the lack of this part missing expect for one small area. (As much as I can tell)
Ah! Okay I understand now. Dang man, that sucks. I'm trying to wrack my brain for a "fix", but aside from correcting the tailgate sag, I can't think of anything outside of rigging something up. Not always the most ideal path to take.

Ah! Okay I understand now. Dang man, that sucks. I'm trying to wrack my brain for a "fix", but aside from correcting the tailgate sag, I can't think of anything outside of rigging something up. Not always the most ideal path to take.
I keep hearing about this tailgate sag but it’s literally not contributing to the leak whatsoever. I just have to look for a trade for a 02 top. Or live with it which is fine as well until I can figure something out

It may not be sagging as much as it appears. I will admit, the one close-up picture makes it hard to judge. Mine has far too much weight on it with the spare moab and tire. Mine is being pulled down too, but it isn't noticable by eyeballing it. I can't imagine how much weight/continued weight would cause the gate to sag as much as the picture makes it appear. That's a crappy ordeal, Zedd. I don't blame you for wanting to trade. As I said, I wish I was closer. I would trade in a heartbeat. Hopefully you can locate someone close.

I keep hearing about this tailgate sag but it’s literally not contributing to the leak whatsoever. I just have to look for a trade for a 02 top. Or live with it which is fine as well until I can figure something out
If you actually take the time to listen to the people that have tried to help you here, and fix the problem the right way, you'll find it will be much cheaper than trying to find a 2002 or older top. If there is indeed something not right with the swing out tail gate and you spend the money on a newer top you'll have wasted your money and still have a leak. The ONLY difference between 97 - 02 and 03 - 06 tops is the vents in the side of the earlier tops vs in the tailgate on the newer Jeeps. How they fit and seal to the tailgate didn't change.

Reactions: AndyG
For starters , these are vehicles with drain plugs in the floor , so that’s tells you a lot.

Secondly , to test , you need to collect and use rainwater (it is softer , lower ph) .

Third, the cheap strip many of us add TO THE TAILGATE TOP EDGE really gets a bite .

Lastly , the seals from the top down really needs checked . Your original pic indicates a drip from the hinges possibly ....adjustment often takes care of it.

Now , going further , -50 points for using the term“TRUNK”

We apply penalties for these terms applied to a a TJ :

Car , trunk , sport bar, running board, convertible, truck, donut, cab, shell, and similar phrases . We have a manly reputation to uphold. Swagger .

• Haha
Reactions: bedhed and reddvltj
Status
Not open for further replies.