Turbo Kit Test TJ

I saw that too. Not the craziest thing they were doing in that video by far, but it made me scratch my head.

Lol yea it's not a good sign if my newb-ass can see glaring mistakes.

Months back, I saw a video of someone mud-bogging an eBay-boosted setup with no exhaust after the downpipe and it had really bad turbo flutter when he'd let off the throttle. The youtube comments were praising the build all because it sounded amazing ("what an amazing build to inspire others with a 4.0L"). Folks had no idea it was all noise with little-to-no power gains (and harming the engine).

People who bag on turbos for having no low end power and say you need a supercharger in a jeep or whatever application simply have no experience and no idea what they are talking about.

IT's from 30+ year old knowledge just like many other wife's tails that get spread around.

The beauty of the turbo on the 4.0l is that in its NA configuration, low end is plentiful and torque is developed at a fairly low rpm. The turbo makes for a more well rounded package building on that and adding the mid to upper range.

My advice is to anyone considering is to act now and avoid disappointment and future regret😁

Honestly man, I would absolutely purchase Jezza's kit after knowing how much a turbo brings the 4.0L to life. It's awesome.

IIRC, his kit provides the same or more power than the Banks kit I'm running and uses quality parts. Feel free to DM me if you want more details on how the rig drives with boost.

Ok! Thanks!

Edit: how do I dm you , I dont see the option

Last edited:
I can remember those arguments 30 years ago about which was better. And I ain't OLD.... I'm well aged.

Too bad you arn’t from the MOAB region… then you’d be dry-aged, like a fine steak…😂

(Couldn’t help myself)

1692241343604.gif

• Haha
Reactions: srimes and Wildman
  • Haha
Reactions: DWR
Lol yea it's not a good sign if my newb-ass can see glaring mistakes.

Months back, I saw a video of someone mud-bogging an eBay-boosted setup with no exhaust after the downpipe and it had really bad turbo flutter when he'd let off the throttle. The youtube comments were praising the build all because it sounded amazing ("what an amazing build to inspire others with a 4.0L"). Folks had no idea it was all noise with little-to-no power gains (and harming the engine).

Actually, since he can’t PM yet… and I as well as other are probably curious, can you post your experience here? Since it’s actually on subject unlike I keep pulling us from (sorry).

Actually, since he can’t PM yet… and I as well as other are probably curious, can you post your experience here? Since it’s actually on subject unlike I keep pulling us from (sorry).

I PMd him before seeing your post.

Summary…the turbo helps relieve engine load during local drives even when boost is super low you can feel it help. It allows you to really scoot on the highway and through canyons it even makes fire road trails more fun. I’m looking forward to seeing how it performs at Sand Hollow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman

All joking aside, if anyone has any specific questions regarding the RSI kit that they would like a consumer’s opinion on, I’d be happy to answer.

Correct, I bought and installed the RSI kit.

Did you get a tune from Ryan @FRP?

How did your tuner go about the initial testing for making your tune?

Did you begin capturing data driving on the stock tune or were you provided a general safe tune based on the turbo specs that was then dialed in by analyzing the data?

Last edited:
Did you take any videos , and a negatives and positive list on ease of install

I don’t have videos but I did take detailed pics and notes of the installation with the intent of starting a post of my build.

The installation is fairly straight forward and I picked away at it over a few weekends as it was a winter project. There are several restrictive points that need to work in harmony to get the fit correct. There’s some pushing and pulling in the position of the components to get the clearances correct and ultimately the position correct. This was one of the more challenging parts because it’s hard to see the big picture until all the components are installed on the vehicle, but trust in the fact that the kit is fabricated correctly and it will all come together.

The only frustrating part of the installation was the mating of the existing exhaust to the new hot up pipe for the turbo. This had nothing to do with the quality of kit as the problem was that the oem “collector” pipe where the exhaust joins into one after the precats is slightly ovalized and tapered in outside diameter. This needs to be mated inside the flange of the beautifully crafted up pipe of the kit. An oval and circle don’t fit well and I fought for a while before taking a torch to the OEM pipe and reshaping. Just one of those small things that required far more swearing than necessary- thanks Chrysler!

I ordered one of the original batch of kits available and there was a couple of very minor hiccups with a couple pieces of hardware, but it was rectified immediately along with any questions I had.

I run a business myself and can be very critical of a company’s customer service, but the guys at RSI truly get it. Companies like RSI, BMB, and Wranglerfix have niche products with virtually no competition and they could simple make you grin and bear it when you buy their products but instead they
go above and beyond with the customer service and support. I’ll gladly support them in return.

I don’t have videos but I did take detailed pics and notes of the installation with the intent of starting a post of my build.

The installation is fairly straight forward and I picked away at it over a few weekends as it was a winter project. There are several restrictive points that need to work in harmony to get the fit correct. There’s some pushing and pulling in the position of the components to get the clearances correct and ultimately the position correct. This was one of the more challenging parts because it’s hard to see the big picture until all the components are installed on the vehicle, but trust in the fact that the kit is fabricated correctly and it will all come together.

The only frustrating part of the installation was the mating of the existing exhaust to the new hot up pipe for the turbo. This had nothing to do with the quality of kit as the problem was that the oem “collector” pipe where the exhaust joins into one after the precats is slightly ovalized and tapered in outside diameter. This needs to be mated inside the flange of the beautifully crafted up pipe of the kit. An oval and circle don’t fit well and I fought for a while before taking a torch to the OEM pipe and reshaping. Just one of those small things that required far more swearing than necessary- thanks Chrysler!

I ordered one of the original batch of kits available and there was a couple of very minor hiccups with a couple pieces of hardware, but it was rectified immediately along with any questions I had.

I run a business myself and can be very critical of a company’s customer service, but the guys at RSI truly get it. Companies like RSI, BMB, and Wranglerfix have niche products with virtually no competition and they could simple make you grin and bear it when you buy their products but instead they
go above and beyond with the customer service and support. I’ll gladly support them in return.

Around what RPM does boost register on your gauge and what’s your max boost pressure before the WG opens?

Last edited:
Reactions: DWR
Around what RPM does boost register on your gauge and what’s your max boost pressure before the WG opens?

I wish I had a more precise answer for you as far as the rpm but looking at my logs it varies significantly depending on load conditions. I have a 42rle so if for instance if I’m in 3rd at low rpm and give it more throttle, it may downshift, shooting the rpms up while simultaneously developing boost. In the same log I have condition lugging along in overdrive on the highway and when I encounter an incline, it enters boost at 1775rpm. If the torrential downpours stop, I’ll take it out and throw down a heater lap for science sake.

I’m running 6psi spring in the wastegate and routinely see 5+ on the gauge.

I wish I had a more precise answer for you as far as the rpm but looking at my logs it varies significantly depending on load conditions. I have a 42rle so if for instance if I’m in 3rd at low rpm and give it more throttle, it may downshift, shooting the rpms up while simultaneously developing boost. In the same log I have condition lugging along in overdrive on the highway and when I encounter an incline, it enters boost at 1775rpm. If the torrential downpours stop, I’ll take it out and throw down a heater lap for science sake.

I’m running 6psi spring in the wastegate and routinely see 5+ on the gauge.

Sounds like it performs similar to my kit.

I consistently go into boost with OD off around 2100 RPMs. I technically go into boost sooner if I’m lugging the engine in OD (1600-1800), but that’s not ideal and doesn’t make good power.

Sounds like we make around the same total boost as well. I’m currently between 6-7 max on the highway but more around 5-6 max in town. I found that 0-3 helps a bunch in town I really don’t need any more than that for boost to improve performance in local drives.

What intake temps do you see in lower and higher boost?

Edit: No need to do burner runs lol I’m just interested in learning about your general results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman