Turbo Kit Test TJ

Coming a little late here, but i have so many questions. The link you linked for the turbo kit says its blocked, nothing beyond that. But how do these turbo kits go overall, is it still reliable and a good daily? Also what was the parts list because i have 0 idea what to get or where to remotely start. Is it scary to have so much power in such a short wheel base, or is it manageable like the 2.0 turbo 2 doors jl?

Coming a little late here, but i have so many questions.
"Please email questions to [email protected]"
The link you linked for the turbo kit says its blocked, nothing beyond that.
The link works fine for me:

20230806_003702.jpg

Reactions: Apparition and D M
Coming a little late here, but i have so many questions. The link you linked for the turbo kit says its blocked, nothing beyond that. But how do these turbo kits go overall, is it still reliable and a good daily? Also what was the parts list because i have 0 idea what to get or where to remotely start. Is it scary to have so much power in such a short wheel base, or is it manageable like the 2.0 turbo 2 doors jl?

I tried the link and it was being goofy for me as well. I updated it and it seems to work better now. The kits are super reliable. All the parts we chose are high quality. We have sold quite a few and have installed several at our location as well. The kit also comes with an installation manual that has step by step instructions. Included is everything you need to do the job except an oil pan gasket, oil and tuning. The power is very manageable. On the street it drives like stock until you put your foot down. The transition into boost is smooth and doesn't shock or upset the vehicle.

Wonder how long I could get away with just strapping on a turbo on sending it like these guys lol

Jk…my luck I’d pop the engine way out in the woods if I did this

• Haha
Reactions: D M and Jezza
Has anyone successfully installed the kit and videoed it yet!? Looking at ordering before I miss my chance like I did with the banks

Stock injectors, stock tune, and 10+ psi of boost lol.

Yea they ended up limiting it to 5psi, but everything stock, even tune… idk how it lasted through those 15psi spikes no tune or anything! Even more so since its the 4-squirrel!

Yea they ended up limiting it to 5psi, but everything stock, even tune… idk how it lasted through those 15psi spikes no tune or anything! Even more so since its the 4-squirrel!

Based on my limited experience tracking temps with a boosted 4.0L, their intake air temps are likely really hot even @ 5psi. If their ECU acts like my PCM does, I bet it greatly pulls timing which means the turbo makes a bunch of noise and shows boost on the gauge, but lacks making significant power.

I'd like to know their IATs...that air-to-air intercooler is receiving hot air after coming through the radiator (not ideal). They'd be wise to run a water-to-air setup or air-to-air in front of the radiator since they have plenty of room to make it happen.

edit: just heard one of the dudes say they are also running 87 (good thing they are "playing it safe") :):)

Based on my limited experience tracking temps with a boosted 4.0L, their intake air temps are likely really hot even @ 5psi. If the PCM acts like mine does, I bet it greatly pulls timing which means the turbo makes a bunch of noise and shows boost on the gauge, but lacks making significant power.

I'd like to know their IATs...that air-to-air intercooler is receiving hot air after coming through the radiator (not ideal). They'd be wise to run a water-to-air setup or air-to-air in front of the radiator since they have plenty of room to make it happen.

edit: just heard one of the dudes say they are also running 87 (good thing they are "playing it safe") :):)

Oh I agree, it pulling timing is probably the only thing keeping it from blowing.

Reactions: MikeE024
Yes the RSI kit! Trying to get as close as I can to the banks kit

Honestly man, I would absolutely purchase Jezza's kit after knowing how much a turbo brings the 4.0L to life. It's awesome.

IIRC, his kit provides the same or more power than the Banks kit I'm running and uses quality parts. Feel free to DM me if you want more details on how the rig drives with boost.

Reactions: DWR and Juggernaut
The kit is excellent and is comprised of reputable brand name components so it was obviously put together with longevity and serviceability in mind. For comparison, I have a jk 3.6 A5 and a JL 3.6 A8 in the household. ( I know…. I know….) The turbo turns the once gutless TJ into into a much more modern vehicle in terms of power delivery. Exponentially more enjoyable on the street and virtually invisible when crawling unless you want it.

I no longer have to suffer those condescending glares and embarrassing moments of eye contact when a fully freighted 53’ tractor passes me going uphill on the highway.

What price do you put on your dignity and self esteem?

The kit is excellent and is comprised of reputable brand name components so it was obviously put together with longevity and serviceability in mind. For comparison, I have a jk 3.6 A5 and a JL 3.6 A8 in the household. ( I know…. I know….) The turbo turns the once gutless TJ into into a much more modern vehicle in terms of power delivery. Exponentially more enjoyable on the street and virtually invisible when crawling unless you want it.

I no longer have to suffer those condescending glares and embarrassing moments of eye contact when a fully freighted 53’ tractor passes me going uphill on the highway.

What price do you put on your dignity and self esteem?

And it's not just ego inflation either, it's legitimately way more enjoyable in stop-and-go bc the boost relieves the load, and cruising up a steep grade going 85 mph is a non-issue.

You want to go 95 mph up the steep grade instead of 85 mph? —> No problem.

I saw that too. Not the craziest thing they were doing in that video by far, but it made me scratch my head.

And it's not just ego inflation either, it's legitimately way more enjoyable in stop-and-go bc the boost relieves the load, and cruising up a steep grade going 85 mph is a non-issue.

You want to go 95 mph up the steep grade instead of 85 mph? —> No problem.
Absolutely correct! I have a regular 2 hour drive at 75-80 through the foothills and mountains of Nh&VT to go wheeling. The turbo handles the sustained speeds and loads no problem , making the drive up far more relaxing.