Turbo Kit Test TJ

I would imagine this is where you will run into some pushback form some people. Those that do really don't understand the cost of quality parts won't get it. But then there is always the $3-4K Ebay turbo kits for them.

What kind of boost are you aiming for? 10 or below? 15 & below?
I want to keep the costs as reasonable as possible. I'm carefully selecting the components that are good quality without going overboard.

The boost will probably be set around 5-7 psi. That should be more than enough to make mid 200s. My other Jeep made just under 240 whp at 5 psi on a slightly smaller turbo.

I want to keep the costs as reasonable as possible. I'm carefully selecting the components that are good quality without going overboard.

The boost will probably be set around 5-7 psi. That should be more than enough to make mid 200s. My other Jeep made just under 240 whp at 5 psi on a slightly smaller turbo.

Sounds great. And at those boost levels makes it reliable as heck too.
Again I'm wishing you luck with this. I think there is a market there for it.

Following for sure. After having two vehicles with turbos then going to one without, I miss the extra kick.

I'm not well enough versed to know, but how do you control boost lag? The 4.0 is torquey enough to wheel without the turbo, but once it hits, it seems like it might be tough to control when you're going slow? Maybe not, but without full Wastegate control, I think that would be tough.

200hp sounds WONDERFUL

Reactions: DWR and L J
Following for sure. After having two vehicles with turbos then going to one without, I miss the extra kick.

I'm not well enough versed to know, but how do you control boost lag? The 4.0 is torquey enough to wheel without the turbo, but once it hits, it seems like it might be tough to control when you're going slow? Maybe not, but without full Wastegate control, I think that would be totough.
The lag is basically a function of the turbo sizing, big turbo = more lag. That's a bit of an oversimplification, but a properly sized turbo will have little lag without choking on the top end. This turbo is sized to have reasonably quick spool up while providing a smooth transition into boost. The boost pressure will be controlled by an external wastegate assembly.

The lag is basically a function of the turbo sizing, big turbo = more lag. That's a bit of an oversimplification, but a properly sized turbo will have little lag without choking on the top end. This turbo is sized to have reasonably quick spool up while providing a smooth transition into boost. The boost pressure will be controlled by an external wastegate assembly.
At what RPM will you start getting power with this size turbo? With the 42RLE constantly lugging the motor we need power at 2000 rpm not 5000 like a stroker seems to do.

HP is the best option available for this type of kit IMO. It can be made to run very well with a few tweaks.

I'm mocking it up on the 2000 model year. I believe that the accessories on the passenger side of the engine remained the same from 2000-2006. The 1997-1999 guys may have to move some things around to make it work. The plan is to mount the turbo low behind the alternator. I think that will work best for most folks. Top mounts like my other jeep require bending AC lines and relocating the battery wiring. I'm going to try and keep it as tight to the block and as far back as possible. I don't have access to an earlier model right now. Perhaps after I get this one done I can look into changes for the earlier models if this one doesn't fit.

Intake manifold shouldn't change much as the throttle body is in basically the same position. Exhaust is going to be set up to connect to the Y pipe as it crosses under the pan.

Gotcha. Knowing the general area you plan to mount it then, the dizzy on 97-99 would likely be an issue as well. I have a '98.

giphy (13).gif

At what RPM will you start getting power with this size turbo? With the 42RLE constantly lugging the motor we need power at 2000 rpm not 5000 like a stroker seems to do.
Are you saying you think a stroker is making it's power closer to 5k rpm vs 2k rpm?

I guess it depends on your definition of affordable. It will be quality, but those parts do come at a cost. It will however be considerably cheaper than a stroker or engine swap.

I'd consider cheaper than an engine swap affordable, as that's the level of performance we're talking about.

I'd consider cheaper than an engine swap affordable, as that's the level of performance we're talking about.

This for me is a hard one since I've known people to do the magnum swap for under $1K. This isn't the norm but it is possible for under $3k if you're doing the work yourself.

But this is only for 2002 and older TJ's.

Jezza, if your taking a head count, please sign me up.

A while back I was hemming and hawing between a SC and the Banks kit, all while battling my own NA tune issues. I hesitated and Banks discontinued the turbo. I’m not sold on the super chargers that are available so I shelved the idea because I lack the knowledge to piece the turbo together. Kind of kicking myself since.

I appreciate what you’ve done and continue to do. Looking forward to the progress - keep us posted!

Any progress good sir? Very excited at the possibility of this.
Right now I'm waiting on parts to arrive. I have the rear end repaired and have driven it some to check out the engine and such before I turbo it. I also need to do some baseline dyno runs here soon before I begin.

Another one following along! @SkylinesSuck and I were just having this conversation yesterday, i.e. big turbos, small turbos, and how to balance the correct one, controlling both lag and spool, with our 4.0l. As @B00mb00m said, the challenge for many of us is the nearly 1K rpm drop we see when the 42RLE goes into overdrive. This results in an RPM range that is often well below 2K RPMs. That said, I'm shallow and just want to hear, from under my hood, the sound of a turbo spooling up again! :)

Another one following along! @SkylinesSuck and I were just having this conversation yesterday, i.e. big turbos, small turbos, and how to balance the correct one, controlling both lag and spool, with our 4.0l. As @B00mb00m said, the challenge for many of us is the nearly 1K rpm drop we see when the 42RLE goes into overdrive. This results in an RPM range that is often well below 2K RPMs. That said, I'm shallow and just want to hear, from under my hood, the sound of a turbo spooling up again! :)
i just want to go highway speeds in overdrive, it's not unreasonable! I would definitely skew turbo tuning and size for 2K ish peak power.

Reactions: Irun