UHMW vs aluminum in skid plate applications

A board, couple 16 penny nails, some weight and a fish scale.

That works for you and me and we can easily extrapolate the end result when used in the rocks. The detractors will pick on every single aspect of that so it has to be a method that definitively creates the similarity between the test and use in the rocks.

Reactions: B00mb00m
I once had a WR250 motorcycle. I put an aluminum skid plate on it and it seemed to amplify the engine noise and direct it to my ears. Switching to some sort of plastic skid plate made a huge improvement. Might be a similar situation with a SxS

I’ve heard this echoed from others with SxS vehicles. They’ve said the aluminum amplified the already loud engine and the UHMV made it quieter. That could just be conjecture, but it’s certainly echoed a lot.

Reactions: NskLJ
I’ve heard this echoed from others with SxS vehicles. They’ve said the aluminum amplified the already loud engine and the UHMV made it quieter. That could just be conjecture, but it’s certainly echoed a lot.

In my case there was a very significant and obvious difference in noise between AL and plastic.

I never knew the SxS crowd was interested in being more quiet.

Which one did you get? Are you still getting a JL?

I've had it for a while now. It's a 2018 XP Turbo Dynamix (the model with the Fox live valve suspension). I got it for 15k and the previous owner did a lot of very expensive mods to it. Couldn't pass on it at that price.

I couldn't come to terms with them on the JL lease agreement (which I feared would happen). That being the case, I'm looking for a JK Recon model most likely. We'll see what I can find but I'm probably going to look next year when the economy presumably starts to really tank. I think that will affect vehicle prices a lot.

In the meantime my wife is dealing with a brain tumor so I've got to focus my finances on that.

I've had it for a while now. It's a 2018 XP Turbo Dynamix (the model with the Fox live valve suspension). I got it for 15k and the previous owner did a lot of very expensive mods to it. Couldn't pass on it at that price.

I couldn't come to terms with them on the JL lease agreement (which I feared would happen). That being the case, I'm looking for a JK Recon model most likely. We'll see what I can find but I'm probably going to look next year when the economy presumably starts to really tank. I think that will affect vehicle prices a lot.

In the meantime my wife is dealing with a brain tumor so I've got to focus my finances on that.

Wow, sorry to hear that.

Reactions: Wildman
That works for you and me and we can easily extrapolate the end result when used in the rocks. The detractors will pick on every single aspect of that so it has to be a method that definitively creates the similarity between the test and use in the rocks.

Oh I am sure. Too simple a test for the simpletons to understand.

I will say that that UHMV alone on SxS has become a big no no up here and areas like the Canadian shield. There have been several impalements that have happened in the last couple years and the UHMV faired no better than the flimsy stuff the machines came with. Definitely needs a rigid backer for sure.

I will say that that UHMV alone on SxS has become a big no no up here and areas like the Canadian shield. There have been several impalements that have happened in the last couple years and the UHMV faired no better than the flimsy stuff the machines came with. Definitely needs a rigid backer for sure.

I’ve noticed that many manufacturers are using UHMV with an aluminum backing.

Reactions: Blackjack
I run 1/2" HDPE on my RZR and AR 400 or 500 ( cant remember which one ) plate on my crawler, the AR plate hold's up well under the 3500 # crawler on the terrain in and around middle TN. I don't think the HDPE would last under the heavier crawler but is great under the lighter RZR in the same terrain.