Ultimate camping and towing rig

I can't find definite info on how tow ratings change with so much payload and an extension. Any charts?
That's probably because a chart can't tell you how far from the receiver the rear axle is and how far from the rear the front is. You can do the math but it's going to be a guess at best. Personally I wouldn't trust a chart even if you found it. Obviously an extension from one truck places the ball at a different point when compared to another truck with a different overhang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

That's probably because a chart can't tell you how far from the receiver the rear axle is and how far from the rear the front is. You can do the math but it's going to be a guess at best. Personally I wouldn't trust a chart even if you found it. Obviously an extension from one truck places the ball at a different point when compared to another truck with a different overhang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque
The manufacturer of the extension is who sets the limits of the extension, the rating of the vehicle/hitch is tossed out the door when you start adding extensions. (That is all provided the hitch capacity is greater than the extension... pretty sure that's a non issue though)

(y)

@Apparition do you have the package and 8ft bed? If so, how far from your bumper to the gooseneck ball?
Tremors don’t offer the 8’ bed.

I don’t have the additional trailer cam cause I don’t have an enclosed trailer. I think the camera would be mounted too low on my setup.

I do have the 360 cams, must have IMO. Also the gooseneck prep for the hookups in the bed.

Reactions: reddvltj
Junk in the truck back seat: 500lbs(?)
Truck camper: 2970lbs dry or ~4000lbs wet(?).
Bumper pull trailer: 2800lbs empty or 7400lbs with the Jeep (and I'm sure I'll find a way to put an extra 2000lbs of parts and tools in it).

I can't find definite info on how tow ratings change with so much payload and an extension. Any charts?
If you're that dead set on such a heavy truck camper, pulling the Jeep with a trailer versus flat tow, and not offroading, you should probably just go with a big toy hauler. Otherwise, if you want a heavy truck camper, you'd need a bare bones 1 ton dually to get payload as high as possible or a F450 or similar.

For reference, our F350 6.7 Tremor has 3386 lbs of payload, and we'll be getting a Hallmark camper which comes with it's own rear view camera that integrates with Ford's system since the tailgate will be removed. We'll also be flat towing my Jeep.

Reactions: Apparition
This is a really good point and something that we're still thinking through.

Part of the leaning toward a truck camper is realizing that it's one of those things that we'd probably use more than we realize once we actually have it available to just load up and turn what normally would be a day trip into an overnight trip.
There may not be a one option is best for everything answer. For what you want the Krawler Hauler sounds best to me.

Don’t discount the ease of a nice tent and a 20” thick inflatable mattress for a weekend trip.

Gotta level the truck with a truck camper, may not be easy with a trailer.

Some Super Duty specs for Towing and payload

1633313530827.png

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...df/guides/21Towing_Ford_SuperDuty_PU_Dec3.pdf

We had an epiphany last night: Rather than try and have one camper that's a hassle for everything, what if we got a F350 Tremor for it's towing and worry free offroad ability (not to replace the Jeeps), a gooseneck 30ft with 20ft garage and 10ft living quarters (for Jeeping trips when we typically plan ahead and just drive there and back), AND a smaller camper such as a Bean or Airstream Basecamp (for exploring when it's too cold for a tent or just long road trips when a toilet and shower would just be nice after a few days). Budget is obviously going to come into play, but one can dream, right?

We're heading out on a road trip to take a look at trailers and look at the options! Sadly I couldn't find any Super Duties with the packages we want on the route.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for? -Robert Browning

1633378005745.png

Last edited:
We had an epiphany last night: Rather than try and have one camper that's a hassle for everything, what if we got a F350 Tremor for it's towing and worry free offroad ability (not to replace the Jeeps), a gooseneck 30ft with 20ft garage and 10ft living quarters (for Jeeping trips when we typically plan ahead and just drive there and back), AND a smaller camper such as a Bean or Airstream Basecamp (for exploring when it's too cold for a tent or just long road trips when a toilet and shower would just be nice after a few days). Budget is obviously going to come into play, but one can dream, right?

We're heading out on a road trip to take a look at trailers and look at the options! Sadly I couldn't find any Super Duties with the packages we want on the route.
That sounds like it would fit your wants/needs the best.

View attachment 281367
Grab some peanut butter fudge at Joanne's on your way through Mackinaw City.

If you’re ever down in the cities we could meet up and I can show you mine and walk you through the features. An F350 on 35’s with limited slip and locker like mine that can tow 22K is a very capable vehicle.

I think 2023 is going to be a redesign.
A buddy has an F350 with the Tremor package, I thought that package tow limit was reduced to 15K?

A buddy has an F350 with the Tremor package, I thought that package tow limit was reduced to 15K?

Gooseneck is still 21,900 from my research? Either way, it's not terribly important that we get a Tremor. I'm sure a standard SRW F350 would be enough.

The enclosed trailer we're looking at GVWR is 14k with dual 7k axles. Not that I want to be close to the limit...

Edit: 18,100lbs for Gooseneck listed here (page 4): https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../guides/20Towing_Ford_SuperDutyPU_r1_Nov7.pdf

Reactions: Apparition